2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Brad Treliving loves big mediocre dmen. Mitch Marner for Seth Jones 1 for 1. Marner plays with Bedard, we flip Mitch at the deadline for more assets. Seth’s crappy contract is cleared out.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Brad Treliving loves big mediocre dmen. Mitch Marner for Seth Jones 1 for 1. Marner plays with Bedard, we flip Mitch at the deadline for more assets. Seth’s crappy contract is cleared out.
No way that Marner is traded on the last year of his contract even if they are not resigning him. Leafs are stuck for the next year at least and have to go for it with the roster they have for the most part.

Y’all act like getting rid of Jones is so sort of solution. He is over paid by a million and it does not matter now. He is still the best defenseman on the roster. The team is way worse without him and there is no one available better than he is.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
No way that Marner is traded on the last year of his contract even if they are not resigning him. Leafs are stuck for the next year at least and have to go for it with the roster they have for the most part.

Y’all act like getting rid of Jones is so sort of solution. He is over paid by a million and it does not matter now. He is still the best defenseman on the roster. The team is way worse without him and there is no one available better than he is.
The team is way worse without him? The team put up 52 points last year. The powerplay was like 30th with Jones running it. The team constantly no showed and put in zero effort, resulting in multiple blowouts and being shutout 13 times! How much worse could it possibly get?

By the time the Hawks are ready to be competing for a cup, Jones will be on the downside of his career. And you’ll be wishing you traded him when you could have because he won’t age well. He is not a smart enough player to make up for when his physical tools diminish. And he’s not overpaid by 1 million, it’s more like 3-3.5 million, and Vlasic is better than he is.

Reactions: Pez68

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
The team is way worse without him? The team put up 52 points last year. The powerplay was like 30th with Jones running it. The team constantly no showed and put in zero effort, resulting in multiple blowouts and being shutout 13 times! How much worse could it possibly get?

By the time the Hawks are ready to be competing for a cup, Jones will be on the downside of his career. And you’ll be wishing you traded him when you could have because he won’t age well. He is not a smart enough player to make up for when his physical tools diminish. And he’s not overpaid by 1 million, it’s more like 3-3.5 million, and Vlasic is better than he is.
Vlasic is not better overall yet. The power play sucked because it had three players on it that should not be on any NHL power play and one (Jones) who should be on a second team PP. Bedard is the only first PP player on the roster. Maybe KK will be but didn’t have the confidence or the ability to keep the puck in the zone this year.

There are no first pair defensemen in the league making 6 million on a third contract. Jones is a first pair defenseman and there is no one available to replace him.

The team has to be better next year. Trading one of two defensemen on the roster that actually can play will not make the team better. Murphy is hurt too much and should be playing third pair. KK may be there next year but I wouldn’t be surprised if he spends some of not a lot of time in the AHL. Then it is EDM, Kaiser, and maybe Allen. Maybe KD signs a second pair guy in the off season.

None of which has anything to do with your idea of trading for Marner which will not happen.

Reactions: Space umpire

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
How does everyone feel about Marner? Seems like a change of scenery might benefit him. Not sure what it would cost via trade.

I like the player but he’s definitely been in his head in the playoffs this season.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Marner = Modern day Gartner

There is reason Keenan wanted Gartner out of NY and pushed for trade

With that said Marner is a guy who can help team get from A to B (B = Playoffs) but hasn't shown he can raise his play in playoffs

Maybe a change of scenery does him good or maybe it doesn't. He is just one of the problems with Leafs

Reactions: HawksDub89

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

The issue with Jones is the term of his deal. Yes the Hawks would be a worse team next year if they moved him, no doubt about it. But they'd set themselves up better for when they actually want to be good again, which will be in 2-3 years. Jones will still have 4 years on his deal at the start of the 2026 season. He's not living up to the contract now, it'll be even worse as he gets into his 30s. The way you win in this league is by having players bring more value than their contracts are worth.

Back in 2018, Seabrook wasn't a problem bc he was on the team. He was a problem bc he was being paid like a top-3 D when he wasn't that anymore. Toews was being paid like an elite 1C when he wasn't that anymore. You sign a few bad contracts with players who are in decline and/or providing negative relative value and suddenly you have glaring needs that you can't address bc you don't have the space.

How does everyone feel about Marner? Seems like a change of scenery might benefit him. Not sure what it would cost via trade.

I like the player but he’s definitely been in his head in the playoffs this season.

This season? He has 11 career playoff goals and has had, arguably, 2 good series showings in his career. He's paid like a difference maker but in the playoffs he fades into the background. He wilts. Definitely not a player you can rely on.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Anyone else interested in potentially trading for Spencer Knight?
I know his AHL numbers were pretty bad this year but it might be a good opportunity to buy low, and his contract doesn't hurt the Hawks as it expires at the same time as Bedard.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Anyone else interested in potentially trading for Spencer Knight?
I know his AHL numbers were pretty bad this year but it might be a good opportunity to buy low, and his contract doesn't hurt the Hawks as it expires at the same time as Bedard.
If the trade is Soderblom + Reichel then sure

Otherwise no

giza

Jul 19, 2011
No Spencer Knight. No Marner. Nobody's going to take Jones. We'll be lucky to get rid of Connor Murphy at some point this year. Let's just get 2 physical forwards who can get the Hawks at least 15 goals, set the tone and hope AA and Hall can come back and contribute as well.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Marner would be an amazing signing to lock in a top line winger for seven years. Of course cap hit could end up too much but there’s risk everywhere. Everything with Leafa is over sensationalized. They are poorly assembled and their defense/goaltending are below average. The anti Marner movement is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No Spencer Knight. No Marner. Nobody's going to take Jones. We'll be lucky to get rid of Connor Murphy at some point this year. Let's just get 2 physical forwards who can get the Hawks at least 15 goals, set the tone and hope AA and Hall can come back and contribute as well.
The Hawks should not be trying to trade Jones who actually fills a long term need and isn’t that old.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Marner = Modern day Gartner

There is reason Keenan wanted Gartner out of NY and pushed for trade

With that said Marner is a guy who can help team get from A to B (B = Playoffs) but hasn't shown he can raise his play in playoffs

Maybe a change of scenery does him good or maybe it doesn't. He is just one of the problems with Leafs

This is essentially how I feel.

It’s tough because on one hand the hawks desperately need more elite offensive forwards. But do you want to pay significant money for a guy you know is likely to disappear in the playoffs?

And like you said, he’s not the only issue with Toronto.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Said this in the Marner trade thread on the trade boards, but I have zero interest in having Marner long term. I'd only be willing to trade for him with the understanding that we'd move him with retention at the deadline. And with him having a full NMC, we'd be limited with where we could move him to, unless he was open to going to multiple destinations.

So maybe a 2nd round pick and taking his entire 11m off the books is most I'd do for Toronto. Hope that we can move him at the TD and get a 1st and B level prospect back. But I wouldn't keep him, not the type of guy we need; especially at his cap hit.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Said this in the Marner trade thread on the trade boards, but I have zero interest in having Marner long term. I'd only be willing to trade for him with the understanding that we'd move him with retention at the deadline. And with him having a full NMC, we'd be limited with where we could move him to, unless he was open to going to multiple destinations.

So maybe a 2nd round pick and taking his entire 11m off the books is most I'd do for Toronto. Hope that we can move him at the TD and get a 1st and B level prospect back. But I wouldn't keep him, not the type of guy we need; especially at his cap hit.
Trade them Reichel for Marner lol.

Flip Marner at 50% for a haul of picks.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Seth Jones is playing out the majority of his contract with the Hawks. Deal with it.

If the Hawks could score a lick he'd have had 50+pts easy.
if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his ass on the ground when he jumps. it doesn’t inspire confidence that he is the team’s top offensive dman and yet he typically can’t generate anything except blocked shot attempts. until he does score 50 points “easy”, to me he will be an overpaid and overrated second pair defenseman playing out of his depth.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his ass on the ground when he jumps. it doesn’t inspire confidence that he is the team’s top offensive dman and yet he typically can’t generate anything except blocked shot attempts. until he does score 50 points “easy”, to me he will be an overpaid and overrated second pair defenseman playing out of his depth.
He scored 50 pts his 1st year with the Hawks when they had actual offensive talent. And his Analytics have been way better since being traded to the Hawks.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He scored 50 pts his 1st year with the Hawks when they had actual offensive talent. And his Analytics have been way better since being traded to the Hawks.

He only scored 50+ points once in his career before he joined the Hawks. Let's not act like he was a perennial 50+ point player and those Columbus teams were not lacking in talent.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
He only scored 50+ points once in his career before he joined the Hawks. Let's not act like he was a perennial 50+ point player and those Columbus teams were not lacking in talent.
Those CBJ teams weren’t exactly cup contenders either

They were at the level of Minnesota in 2010s or Winnipeg now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad