Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Overall, nothing in that article changed the way I see our LHV prospects, a pool that's a combination of older players whose development was hindered by injuries (Rubtsov, Laberge, Kase, Sandstrom) and 20-21 year olds who need to be marinated for another year or so (Bunnaman, Ratcliffe, Sushko, Twarynski, Ustimenko). Next season, the depth at LHV will be far closer to NHL ready.

Vorobyev is the biggest disappointment, he's at the point in his career where he needs to seize the opportunity the way NAK has done.
Frost is on the cusp, a few years ago he might have been installed as the 3C, the way TK was thrown in early, and allowed to play through his growing pains.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
MELTZER: Flahr on the Farm - Part 1

There's been a few games up here where Misha has been on the right track, but it needs to be more consistent. He has earned his callups to the Flyers with his play in Lehigh. If he can bring the game he's shown for the Phantoms to the NHL level, he's got the tools [to find a spot]," Flahr said.

This is what most of our prospects need to do, they get sent down due mostly to inconsistency. Some prospects they give a little more rope to and some its a quick hook. Yes I understand that some are up only due to injury but Frost, Misha and the others all inconsistent efforts doomed their stay.

Prpoblem for Vorobyev is he may just be the hockey equivalent of a AAAA player in baseball, good enough to dominate in the minors but not talented enough for the NHL. He's got a man's body, he's 23, it's not like there's a lot of upside left. It's not like Bunnaman has played a lot better at 4C, but Bunnaman is the same size, faster and younger (15 months). Bunnaman doesn't have Vorobyev's play making skills, but is a better fit at 4C.

He kind of reminds me of Cousins/Weal, who weren't suited to 4th line duties but really weren't talented to stick in the top 9. Both have found a home in Montreal, but I wouldn't bet on their career longevity.
For Misha its also about timing, some times you hit the team right when there is less talent to where you can carve out a niche while working on consistency and the team due to lack of other options lets you work through that. Misha a few years earlier would have been an option to drop PEB and/or VandeVelde. But he missed last year and now kids like Frost and others are crowding up behind him or even beside him. Look at Twarynski took his foot off the accelerator and when you are on the bottom of the chart you cant afford to do that, he might not crack the Flyers again, I understand he has some serious skill deficiencies but you can't make their decision easy by coasting.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
@DancingPanther
AF40AAF2-9621-499A-862C-E132C3A0E34F.jpeg

MELTZER: Flahr on the Farm, Part 2

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

There's a lot to like about Attard if he puts it together, he's a RHD, has good size, obviously can score goals.
On the other hand, he's a 20 year old (21 in March) freshman, so he should hit the ground running (much like JOB next season in college).
Given that he has 144 USHL games under his belt, I'd push hard to get him to leave college after next season.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Attard with only 3 assists in 18 games at age 20 in the NCAA isn’t great.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
With the exception of extremely rare cases all prospects struggle with consistency. Established pros struggle with consistency, we just discuss it differently then with rookies.

Also the term "degenerative" is pretty universal with back injuries. Pretty much everybody is in degenerative state with their backs. So that really doesn't scare me too much.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
With the exception of extremely rare cases all prospects struggle with consistency. Established pros struggle with consistency, we just discuss it differently then with rookies.

Also the term "degenerative" is pretty universal with back injuries. Pretty much everybody is in degenerative state with their backs. So that really doesn't scare me too much.
Yup i agree with the first part of your statement , it is getting use to the pace and then playing at that pace consistantly .

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Just how many players jump straight from juniors to the NHL and perform well, much the less excel? We have to be willing to allow the young guys time to develop. This is what the minors are for. I’m waiting to see what Frost can do in two more years, Bunnaman, Twarinsky, Laberge after next year. Kase and Rubtsov might be ready next season. As an example, Friedman wasn’t ready until this year and will definitely be here next season. Players that jump from juniors to the show right away, or close to it, like Couturier, Konecny, and Hart are anomalies. They’re nice when they happen but we shouldn’t expect that too often.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
DeBrincat spent 2 post draft years in the OHL, then jumped to the NHL.
I think Brink will be ahead of DeBrincat at 20, having played 2 years in college against older, more physically mature players.

Players like Millman and Attard, who need a lot of polishing, may spend two years at LHV.

Zamula will go to the NHL as soon as he fills out enough to handle the physical challenge.

Last edited:

TB87

May 30, 2018
I wouldn’t be in any hurry to sign Attard if I were the Flyers. He’s raw in quite a few areas:

- Has difficulty getting his shots through from the point because he’s very stationary and predictable. I’m going to be on the look out for him adding some more deceptive tendencies when he has the puck in the OZ. Such as: fakes, dekes, walking the line to open up shooting and passing lanes, and introducing some 10-to-2 skating when he does walk the line (another way to open up more opportunities for himself and his teammates).
- He has a tendency to settle for the open and easy play instead of trying something more creative in the OZ.
- he tends to chase hits and is undisciplined with his stick
- play recognition seems a bit slow in the DZ in particular
- I’d like to see him add more deception on the breakout as well. Would help him evade forecheckers easier than he does now
- There is a definite lack of creativity in his game that limits his effectiveness

He has time to remedy some of these kinks in the coming years. In the meantime, he’s gotta put in the work.

*I’m still bummed that the Rangers scooped up Zac Jones before the Flyers had the opportunity to do so*

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I wouldn’t be in any hurry to sign Attard if I were the Flyers. He’s raw in quite a few areas:

- Has difficulty getting his shots through from the point because he’s very stationary and predictable. I’m going to be on the look out for him adding some more deceptive tendencies when he has the puck in the OZ. Such as: fakes, dekes, walking the line to open up shooting and passing lanes, and introducing some 10-to-2 skating when he does walk the line (another way to open up more opportunities for himself and his teammates).
- He has a tendency to settle for the open and easy play instead of trying something more creative in the OZ.
- I’d like to see him add more deception on the breakout as well. Would help him evade forecheckers easier than he does now
- There is a definite lack of creativity in his game that limits his effectiveness

He has time to remedy some of these kinks in the coming years. In the meantime, he’s gotta put in the work.

*I’m still bummed that the Rangers scooped up Zac Jones before the Flyers had the opportunity to do so*
Plus his name isn't an alliteration. What the f*** were they thinking

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

I agree with quite a few points you made but when i was in Duluth watching him i thought his process in his own end was quite good . He was able to evade defender and had the size and strength to ward off the forchecker . Between him and Samuelson they were WMU best breakout D men . WMU other D had piles of problems with this the first game but were better in the second game .
I thought with all those points in his last USHL season he would be trying to rush the puck every chance he got and always stepping in but he actually picks his spots fairly well . I was quite happy with his overall game and it will be nice to follow his progress .

Him and Jones play quite a different style but i'm not sure which one will be more overall effective in the end . Jones more flashy , Attard more meat and potatoes . They would probably work quite well together .

TB87

May 30, 2018
I agree with quite a few points you made but when i was in Duluth watching him i thought his process in his own end was quite good . He was able to evade defender and had the size and strength to ward off the forchecker . Between him and Samuelson they were WMU best breakout D men . WMU other D had piles of problems with this the first game but were better in the second game .
I thought with all those points in his last USHL season he would be trying to rush the puck every chance he got and always stepping in but he actually picks his spots fairly well . I was quite happy with his overall game and it will be nice to follow his progress .

Him and Jones play quite a different style but i'm not sure which one will be more overall effective in the end . Jones more flashy , Attard more meat and potatoes . They would probably work quite well together .

I agree about his work on the breakout improving. Especially when compared to his few months of NCAA hockey. He’s been consistently engineering clean exits the past few weekend series. This past weekends games in particular.

Seems like a good sign.

His work in the offensive zone still drives me nuts though

Reactions: wasup

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I was talking with an agent while i was at a hockey game tonight . I asked him about Tanner Wade and Wyatt's situation and about the Flyers being able to burn an entry year or not . He said they are the age where they only sign a two year elc . So if they burn a year they are looking for a new contract in one year and they would not be eligiable for arbitration . You would have to take what they offer you for your next contract which could backfire dollar wise . Thought the wise move is to sign an 2 year deal of fixed dollar on ELC and then have arbitration on your side to have some leverage on dollars in two years . Also said they would have to sign before the last day of the Flyers regular season game to burn a year and they might not be done their season by April 4th

Said you could sign and burn a year but if you are not a top high end prospect it is risky .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad