Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm just curious, why is he playing in the BCHL? I can understand leaving Providence since it clearly wasn't the right situation for him and his confidence is probably non-existent but at 19 going on 20 years old, wouldn't he be better serviced playing in the CHL against real professional prospects?

There are a bunch of articles on this from a few months ago. There may even be some posted in this thread.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm just curious, why is he playing in the BCHL? I can understand leaving Providence since it clearly wasn't the right situation for him and his confidence is probably non-existent but at 19 going on 20 years old, wouldn't he be better serviced playing in the CHL against real professional prospects?

He’d have to find another league after this year if he went to the Q. As he would be an overager & too old to return in 20-21.

He had to sit out this year for the NCAA so it was either sit out & don’t play at all or find a league that you can play in during the mean time that you’ll keep your NCAA eligibility in tact.

When he returns to the NCAA in 20-21 he’ll have three more years of eligibility there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And correct me if I am wrong, we we decide not to sign JOB at all in a few years, we get a 2nd round compensatory pick back for him.

So at worst, it's like trading him for a 2nd and a future dart at the dart board if they don't like what they see when he does get back to the NCAA.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
He’d have to find another league after this year if he went to the Q. As he would be an overager & too old to return in 20-21.

He had to sit out this year for the NCAA so it was either sit out & don’t play at all or find a league that you can play in during the mean time that you’ll keep your NCAA eligibility in tact.

When he returns to the NCAA in 20-21 he’ll have three more years of eligibility there.
So was he not eligible to play in the CHL this season and then go back to the NCAA next year?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
And correct me if I am wrong, we we decide not to sign JOB at all in a few years, we get a 2nd round compensatory pick back for him.

So at worst, it's like trading him for a 2nd and a future dart at the dart board if they don't like what they see when he does get back to the NCAA.

You are correct. Specifically, they would get the same pick in the 2nd that they used in the 1st, in this case the 19th pick of the 2nd round.

So was he not eligible to play in the CHL this season and then go back to the NCAA next year?

Exactly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You are correct. Specifically, they would get the same pick in the 2nd that they used in the 1st, in this case the 19th pick of the 2nd round.

Exactly.
thanks...so at worst, pick #50 some year...lol. Or #51 the Seattle year and beyond.

As weird as it sounds, we might not have a spot for him anyways and if we have a line of depth waiting in the AHL, as well as other Jr prospects, it very well could be the route we go.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Unless JOB totally flops, I doubt they'd let him go for a #50.
JOB has the speed they still need and a TK like fireplug body and scoring skills.
These guys are hard to find.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would still bet on him outproducing a 2nd round pick in 2024 but he could be an under the radar trade chip knowing you have a future 2nd round pick to fall back on.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would still bet on him outproducing a 2nd round pick in 2024 but he could be an under the radar trade chip knowing you have a future 2nd round pick to fall back on.
My thinking is that come that point, we just might have such a pipeline built up that they would be looking at him and having to judge if he is any better than what we already have in the AHL or Jr. So they could decide to kick the can down the road instead of adding another guy if they already have 3-5 guys at that same level in waiting.

But hey, way early for that now anyways. But still, it's nice to know his value will "only" drop to a 2nd round level unlike what Morin's would be right now for example.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

Exactly.
Doesn't he have to sign elsewhere? Not that he likely won't sign, but like if he totally flames out they don't just get a 2nd rounder for him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Doesn't he have to sign elsewhere? Not that he likely won't sign, but like if he totally flames out they don't just get a 2nd rounder for him.
If he is unsigned by the Flyers, we get the pick. If he flames out in NCAA and we don't want to sign him, we get teh pick.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

OFmHyBz.jpg

Article 8.3 (b). Sorry for not pulling it out, but the NHL only publishes an image and I'm on my phone.

Reactions: Stizzle

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
My thinking is that come that point, we just might have such a pipeline built up that they would be looking at him and having to judge if he is any better than what we already have in the AHL or Jr. So they could decide to kick the can down the road instead of adding another guy if they already have 3-5 guys at that same level in waiting.

But hey, way early for that now anyways. But still, it's nice to know his value will "only" drop to a 2nd round level unlike what Morin's would be right now for example.
Maybe but if a player is more valuable, he's more valuable. The fact that he's in his prime or close to it by the time he turns pro could be viewed as a plus too. A lot can change between now and then as well. Guys will disappoint. Talent can and will be consolidated, etc.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Maybe but if a player is more valuable, he's more valuable. The fact that he's in his prime or close to it by the time he turns pro could be viewed as a plus too. A lot can change between now and then as well. Guys will disappoint. Talent can and will be consolidated, etc.
all true.

Time will tell.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I assume it’s just wishful thinking to hope this is because they expect to lose a few guys to an NHL call-up.

Probably just to keep them in Allentown as healthy scratches. Royals had to cut their all time leader in goals, points, and games played, who is in the process of building a house nearby, to make room for those three, and they end up staying for one game - which I didn't even get to see, since the internet went down in Wheeling and the broadcast was spotty to non-existent. Royals play in Norfolk Wed, and home Thurs, Sat, Sun, so having a full roster and ability to switch some skaters in and out for a four in five would have been nice.

Maybe it is just a salary cap move for the Royals and they will come back down Thursday after the road game and play the weekend?

Reactions: Striiker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Probably just to keep them in Allentown as healthy scratches. Royals had to cut their all time leader in goals, points, and games played, who is in the process of building a house nearby, to make room for those three, and they end up staying for one game - which I didn't even get to see, since the internet went down in Wheeling and the broadcast was spotty to non-existent. Royals play in Norfolk Wed, and home Thurs, Sat, Sun, so having a full roster and ability to switch some skaters in and out for a four in five would have been nice.

Maybe it is just a salary cap move for the Royals and they will come back down Thursday after the road game and play the weekend?

That's rough. Sheesh.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know +/- is often meaningless, but in the context of team performance it still is interesting:

Zamula 11 games, 4-11 15 +17
next nearest teammates:
Josh Prokop F 11g 3-3 6 +7
Carson Fochet C 11g 9-6 15 +6
James Malm LF 6g 1-5 6 +6
Mark Kastelic C 7g 8-3 11 +5
Stotts C 11g 6-7 13 +4

Calgary Defensemen:
Jet Woo (#37-2018) 11g 1-6 7 +3
Van De Leest 11g 6-1 7 +1
Prokop 11g 1-3 4 +2
Toder 11g 1-2 3 +4
Kelssen 11g 1-0 1 +1
Kreps 11g 1-0 1 +3

Usually when a player in juniors is putting up off the chart numbers, he's a forward with one or two other top players on his line, or a defenseman with a top partner playing with a top forward line on a regular basis.

Zamula is putting up crazy numbers that are way above anyone else on his team, he's elevating them, but none are lifting him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad