Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
tenor.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The same Habs guy I mentioned earlier made his own top 50 thread and good lord it's as awful as you think it can be. Just holy **** :laugh:.

MrB1P's top 50 affiliated prospects. Edition 2019-2020.

Sorry, I'll stay on topic now, but it needs to be shared.

He said he lives in Montreal and gets 10+ CHL games per week. His stupid list aside, how nice would it be to live somewhere where they took hockey that seriously? (Personally, I'm completely over hockey at the moment and need a serious break, but in general it just sounds amazing.) (I mean, you would still get to watch "The Bachelor," in addition to all that hockey.)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He said he lives in Montreal and gets 10+ CHL games per week. His stupid list aside, how nice would it be to live somewhere where they took hockey that seriously? (Personally, I'm completely over hockey at the moment and need a serious break, but in general it just sounds amazing.) (I mean, you would still get to watch "The Bachelor," in addition to all that hockey.)
The NHL package up here also gives us OHL games every night they play...usually 4-5 games a night, as part of the package.

But yes, the Bachelor is still a must watch.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I have a comfortable pullout couch in our rec room for you, Cap'n.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Fletcher and Flahr are certainly far more open than previous management. Getting information or honest assessments out of them was like pulling teeth.
Hexy and Hak certainly looked like they didn't enjoy public nature of their job.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
For me I think Zamula+Kalynuk have pretty much ~#5 upside or so. Zamula wont get PP time in the NHL most likely, neither will Kalynuk - though tbf to Kalynuk he does not rely on PP for production really. I could see both maybe becoming #4's I guess.

Morin probably could play as a #5 now and hold his own. In limited NHL minutes he has held his own so far... not looked out of place.

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on a possible lack of PP usage. That's such a small factor. It's not where most of Kalynuk and Zamula's value is derived from.

Kalynuk and Zamula are both highly skilled, transitional defensemen with smarts and a good defensive foundation. They are exactly what's in vogue right now. There is a league-wide shortage of this type of player and a great desire to acquire them.

Morin is a guy who's going to struggle just to keep his head above water. His skill-set dictates that he's unlikely to have a a large positive impact on shot/scoring metrics.

Depending on development, Kalynuk and Zamula very well might have real impact. However, Morin will always be a bottom of the lineup player trying to break even.

For me Allison vs Laczynski is all down to upside. Allison I think has legit 2nd line ~50 point upside. Not sure Laczynski has more than solid 3rd line upside, and I am not sure he is a C at the next level either. NAK, Kase etc have similar kind of upside and I think are closer.

No one thinks Laczynski is going to play center. Not one person. He has never even played center in college.

Of the 3 PF's, it just seems like Ratcliffe and Allison get the big reputation boost from being 2nd round picks. While the public hasn't caught on to Laczynski.

Laczynski is the smartest, most well-rounded player of the bunch. His scoring is underrated. Two years in row he's lead OSU in pt/g.

JMO, but the gap between the three is not large. Having them ranked 4, 8, 21, in whatever order, seems incorrect.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Look like our own prospect poll is going to have Morin over Zamula and Kalynuk as well . It's just people's opinions and everyone is entitled to one .

Our prospect poll doesn't exactly have the makings of an accurate scientific experiment. Most of the voters are just throwing darts blindly. Usually deciding based off reputation or draft status. Which is fine, it's all for fun.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Of the 3 PF's, it just seems like Ratcliffe and Allison get the big reputation boost from being 2nd round picks. While the public hasn't caught on to Laczynski.

Laczynski is the smartest, most well-rounded player of the bunch. His scoring is underrated. Two years in row he's lead OSU in pt/g.

Even if he doesn't sign, I don't think that should affect his standing among the pool. It's just a measure of talent. No more than Morin going into year 3 of not playing without any defined spot in the lineup, yet he's top 7-10 for a number of posters.

Maybe Laczynski's skill-set tops out as a bottom 6 player, and that floor is part of his appeal. But his talent has always been really underrated to me (us :heart:). He has never played next to equal/better players, but his playmaking and shot and boards work and IQ have always stood out driving his entire line and team. Like if you told me he could be a Lindblom-like player in the right situation and as a complimentary player, I'd believe it. Maybe not as good defensively, but above average and with more puck skill. Wouldn't surprise me to see him thrive in a pro system, below the dots game too.

I hope, if he leaves, that he goes to a team where he can thrive to finally prove it. Will him not signing matter then?

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm not sure why you're so hung up on a possible lack of PP usage. That's such a small factor. It's not where most of Kalynuk and Zamula's value is derived from.

Kalynuk and Zamula are both highly skilled, transitional defensemen with smarts and a good defensive foundation. They are exactly what's in vogue right now. There is a league-wide shortage of this type of player and a great desire to acquire them.

Morin is a guy who's going to struggle just to keep his head above water. His skill-set dictates that he's unlikely to have a a large positive impact on shot/scoring metrics.

Depending on development, Kalynuk and Zamula very well might have real impact. However, Morin will always be a bottom of the lineup player trying to break even.

No one thinks Laczynski is going to play center. Not one person. He has never even played center in college.

JMO, but the gap between the three is not large. Having them ranked 4, 8, 21, in whatever order, seems incorrect.

I dont think I am really "hung up" on the PP on either... I just dont think - Zamula especially - is actually anything special past the redline at 5v5, and not Hogberg defensively.

And Morin has played a handful of games now and did not really struggle at all in my estimation. He will be nothing special and for sure Zamula and Kalynuk have better skills, but I dont think their upside is that much more than Morin, and he is going to likely be a solid NHLer even if not with the Flyers. They were all pretty much in the same tier for me when ranking them 15th, 18th and 19th.

Friedman and Hogberg were a tier above all three in my eyes.

And Laczynski, I mean, I wrote an article about him this year where I said how good his scoring was, and I think he is a future NHLer as well, but I just don't see top six upside there. Is Tanner Laczynski the most ‘under the radar’ Flyers...

I had them 6, 8, 21. But basically my breakdown is due to the perceived upside. For me the Flyers have 9x skater prospects with legit top 6/top 3 D upside. Then a bunch of guys who are ~#5, 3rd line upside. And I could not put Laczynski over NAK and Kase. I ummed and aghed about Cates vs Laczynski, but I just like Cates ever so slightly more. I don't think Laczynski really got any better from last year to this either, which played into it a bit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think one reason Laczynski might be behind Cates is that IQ and defense are more valuable at center.

The reasoning is simple, a two way center can carry one dimensional wings (Couts' career), but a two way forward can't really compensate for a flawed center.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think one reason Laczynski might be behind Cates is that IQ and defense are more valuable at center.

The reasoning is simple, a two way center can carry one dimensional wings (Couts' career), but a two way forward can't really compensate for a flawed center.

Great theory. But neither Laczynski nor Cates are centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad