Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would go all kids at F trying to sign Allison and Lacz.

Then you sit them all together in a room and tell them "to look around. That is your competition to make the Flyers. Draft position does not matter anymore. The best players will play more. You stop working out while your teammates are still at it, you are falling behind. You all have NHL aspirations and we will do everything we can so you can get there, but you need to do your part as well. Work hard, play hard....on the ice".

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Then you sit them all together in a room and tell them "to look around. That is your competition to make the Flyers. Draft position does not matter anymore. The best players will play more. You stop working out while your teammates are still at it, you are falling behind. You all have NHL aspirations and we will do everything we can so you can get there, but you need to do your part as well. Work hard, play hard....on the ice".

The NHLunger Games.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

The other thing about loading up with all these AHL vets is that it hasn't done jack **** in terms of getting the Phantoms playoff success, which is one of the alleged benefits of having them around, i.e "building a winning culture so the kids get used to that." I am sure there is value in having them around to help the kids learn to be "professionals," but not at the cost of playing time to the extent of the past few years.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The other thing about loading up with all these AHL vets is that it hasn't done jack **** in terms of getting the Phantoms playoff success, which is one of the alleged benefits of having them around, i.e "building a winning culture so the kids get used to that." I am sure there is value in having them around to help the kids learn to be "professionals," but not at the cost of playing time to the extent of the past few years.
Plus you think these NHL vets care about systems and getting it right in case they get an NHL shot? Take a Brennan...does he "play the right way". Or does he do whatever he really wants to rack up points?

And yes, guys like Brennan stopped "other" Dmen from getting playing time especially on the PP. Personally, I want the kids to learn good defense too, but also giving them their "cookies" or rewards with PP time is important too. We can always make a minor league deal in season to add an AHLer to help the kids if we really need to. But right now, let them get all the minutes instead of healthy scratching some every game.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
As Lehigh’s roster stands as of now for next season the Phantoms only have 3 games played vets on the team Bailey, Schlemko and Brennan.

I don’t like the vets blocking the kids from playing as much as the next guy but the dumb AHL vets rule would require the phantoms to have 2 more vets on the roster for next season and probably and extra vet or two to dress incase of injury which would be the AHL contract guys like Samuelsson.

As long as guys like Colin McDonald and Chris Conner are gone then, it should give the youngsters a chance to play.

If I had to resign 2 vets to NHL contracts they would be Greg Carey and Mike Vecchione. They would play in the AHL once they clear waivers in September.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland

True except without Myers, the defense lost their best one. TJ Brennan is finally losing steam. Lyon keeps them in most games. And hard to believe but Varone is missed. The Varone to Carey pass for the one timer is missing. Once Rubstov went down, the Phantoms lost something too. Bunnaman did pick up the slack for long stretches, but just could not carry the load by himself. Conner and McDonald are baked and well worn. So our wonderful GM will have to rebuild the Phantoms thoroughly this summer. The fan base expects a winning team. Hot dogs, beer and free hats will get you only so far.

Oh yeah, this is probably a coincidence, but when they hired Terry Murray the team went into a swoon.......

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Between injuries of their own & the Flyers on top of the organizational shake up the Phantoms have just been decimated this year. You lose Hart, Myers, & Varone to the Flyers along with Gordon. They traded Leier for Bailey who’s been yo-yo’d between the levels mostly staying up. Injuries to Rubtsov, Aube-Kubel, Kase, etc. have happened down there. Kerry Huffman came into this organization with very little coaching experience to begin with then shortly found himself head coach. Not that it’s his fault but he’s probably in over his head.

It’s just one of those years. But I do think going from Hextall to Fletcher I think you’ll see more of a you’re here to serve the big club attitude from Fletcher. Hextall cared too much about mystical shit that was largely irrelevant that helped keep those teams together longer.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
B004F9E5-5881-43FB-904F-C4FBF6A791AF.jpeg
85793E9C-ABDE-402B-8389-6B9947CAC6E8.jpeg

Essentially, Per Isaac, it’s not that Hagg is bad, it’s that the pairing of Hagg-Gudas is bad...so hagg’s bad play is only a byproduct of that pairing...

Lol

Dave Isaac wanted to protect Brennan in the expansion draft. :dunce:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gudas has dragged the likes of MacDonald & Manning to respectability. All putting Hagg with better a better partner like Gostisbehere or Sanheim is going to do is make him like the 5th-10th worst defensemen in the league opposed to the worst.

He’s just not a good defensemen. They dialed back his usage & it unsurprisingly still did nothing which was the previous excuse.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I personally think there's good value in having AHL vets but my perception is probably skewed by the ones my team has landed over the last ~15 years I've been watching.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

Love it!!! None of the AHL veterans are going to make the big club, so let the kids go in there knowing that if they bust their backsides, a callup is a possibility, maybe even probability. Put them in all situations and let them just play.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Craig Forsythe mentioned there is talk that Misha has a slight work ethic problem, anyone know anything about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad