Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Mason Appleton was named captain of Michigan State 2 years ago in April only to sign an ELC in July with the Jets . So it could just be Wisconsin's way of trying to give him a reason to stay but i don't think it's a done deal as to him not signing here .
It is a bad way of thinking to not sign players done their 2nd year of college if they have shown promise . Thinking he will have trade value if he says he is going back for his fourth year is false hope . Marody will have agreed to sign with Edmonton ahead of the trade or there was no way we were getting anything for him .
Kalynuk will not have as much trade value as Fox but Butcher Vesey now Fox , i hope is not becoming a trend .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It is a bad way of thinking to not sign players done their 2nd year of college if they have shown promise . Thinking he will have trade value if he says he is going back for his fourth year is false hope.

Players decide what they want to do.

If Kalynuk won't sign after his 3rd college season, it's because he doesn't like his chances of advancement on the Flyers, so he'd be more willing to sign with another team, and trade and sign is pretty normal with these deals.

Kalynuk isn't good enough at 23 to pull a "Fox" and dictate where he wants to play, he's going to the AHL whereever he signs to prove hiimself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So how excited should we be for Ratcliffe? I feel like he gets lost in the shuffle. I must admit, I probably have seen him play 3-5 times.

The key will be how much of the goal scoring ability translates as he moves up since he isn’t exactly a playmaker at the junior level.

I would classify him as a B depth prospect though. He’s not near Frost & Farabee.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The key will be how much of the goal scoring ability translates as he moves up since he isn’t exactly a playmaker at the junior level.

I would classify him as a B depth prospect though. He’s not near Frost & Farabee.
Do you think he is the best of the rest at F after those 2?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You could make that case given the way everybody else is trending currently.

The problem with the Flyers is they have a lot depth prospects but not a lot of them appear to be guys that will be higher end players.
Yeah the top guys have mostly all arrived going into next year.

I guess that's a good argument to keep our 1st this year.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The organization just pumped out Hart and Myers this year, those are two high-end prospects. Frost and Farabee are arriving next season, possibly in the AHL but I'd guess that both will see time in Philly. That's not too shabby. Plus we have 2017 draft pick Nolan Patrick on the NHL roster.

So yeah, we're lacking in high-end prospects once you ignore those really good ones.

None of Allison/Ratcliffe/Rubtsov/NAK/Strome/Sushko/Bunnaman/Cates/Lacz project to be better than third-line players, but it's a fair chance one of them will be. Guys like Wayne Simmonds and Ferland didn't project to be top 6 players but they got there.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The organization just pumped out Hart and Myers this year, those are two high-end prospects. Frost and Farabee are arriving next season, possibly in the AHL but I'd guess that both will see time in Philly. That's not too shabby. Plus we have 2017 draft pick Nolan Patrick on the NHL roster.

So yeah, we're lacking in high-end prospects once you ignore those really good ones.

None of Allison/Ratcliffe/Rubtsov/NAK/Strome/Sushko/Bunnaman/Cates/Lacz project to be better than third-line players, but it's a fair chance one of them will be. Guys like Wayne Simmonds and Ferland didn't project to be top 6 players but they got there.

And none of our young kids have gotten even adequate coaching within this organization since they have been with us. So he's going to add a veteran top 3 C, a veteran top 4 D, a veteran goalie (Talbot/Elliott), and he re-signed Raffl - that is what we know. What we don't know is what this group, both in Philly already and on the way, looks like under even average NHL coaching. It seems backwards to me. Or "UpChucky," like eaten food vomited back from whence it came.

Fire Fletcher
Fire Holmgren
Incinerate Dave Scott

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

Rubtsov has better than 3rd line upside.

I really like what I’ve seen from Kase in limited viewing. Not gonna guess on upside there.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ratcliffe has top six upside, he may need two years in the AHL to fill out and learn how to use his big body, but he has good speed, good hands and isn't afraid of going to the net.

Reactions: renberg and dag54

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Nothing against Ratcliffe. I like him, but still prefer JOB, Misha, Laczynski, and Allison over him. If we get the Chicoutimi Rubtsov, not the Bathurst Rubtsov, I'd easily take him as well. I understand that I'm likely on an island with JOB and Misha.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Rubtsov has better than 3rd line upside.

I really like what I’ve seen from Kase in limited viewing. Not gonna guess on upside there.

I didn't say he didn't. It's hard to project him to more than that right now. When does he moves ahead of Couturier/Patrick/Frost?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
2017 is Hextall's best draft right? Even if you discount the Patrick pick because of luck, we'd still have gotten someone like Necas or Brannstrom in our slot and we'd be pretty happy with it. But there's actually a somewhat reasonable chance that all 9 guys will play. Lycksell is probably a real longshot but he's got a chance. I think Ratcliffe, Strome, Sushkko and Cates will all make it. Usti and Kalynuk have real chances.Meanwhile, Patrick-Frost can be our middle centers for years. Kind of incredible.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So how excited should we be for Ratcliffe? I feel like he gets lost in the shuffle. I must admit, I probably have seen him play 3-5 times.

When word came that Ratcliffe was on the "untouchables list" with Farabizzle and Frostdizzle, I was somewhat surprised.

While he's grown as a goal scorer, Ratcliffe's assist totals kind of stayed stagnant the last 3 years. Even watching, his passing never impresses me. Too many turnovers, not the best vision. He's a very good straight line skater at his size, but I've never loved his puck handle. Not sure how much of an entry threat he will be against tighter NZ defenses, if he has to use his hands to get in and not just skate in a straight line. But he's pretty smart and plays within himself and moves it to the playmakers quick and gets open well. But he also doesn't have the core strength/center of gravity (yet?) to win as many puck battles or protect the puck as well as he should along the wall, though he's not a shrinking violet. A lot of this stuff has been the case since his draft year.

His goal scoring, frankly, is more of the pigeon variety. His net front work is probably his elite skill. He's great setting screens, getting tips, rebounds. He has a hard, accurate wrist shot too though, so he can keep goalies honest from distance. But his net front work might give him that PP1 value boost one day (he might be the most suited for it of any prospect, along with Nolan). Likely PK potential too. So, I don't subscribe to the unicorn idea; he's got flaws when he's not around the net at ES. But he has interesting outcomes too. Like in on-ice effectiveness, with a few wrinkles (better skater, worse body control, perhaps a bit smarter), his ceiling might be Wayne Simmonds-esque. For better and worse.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
When word came that Ratcliffe was on the "untouchables list" with Farabizzle and Frostdizzle, I was somewhat surprised.

While he's grown as a goal scorer, Ratcliffe's assist totals kind of stayed stagnant the last 3 years. Even watching, his passing never impresses me. Too many turnovers, not the best vision. He's a very good straight line skater at his size, but I've never loved his puck handle. Not sure how much of an entry threat he will be against tighter NZ defenses, if he has to use his hands to get in and not just skate in a straight line. But he's pretty smart and plays within himself and moves it to the playmakers quick and gets open well. But he also doesn't have the core strength/center of gravity (yet?) to win as many puck battles or protect the puck as well as he should along the wall, though he's not a shrinking violet. A lot of this stuff has been the case since his draft year.

His goal scoring, frankly, is more of the pigeon variety. His net front work is probably his elite skill. He's great setting screens, getting tips, rebounds. He has a hard, accurate wrist shot too though, so he can keep goalies honest from distance. But his net front work might give him that PP1 value boost one day (he might be the most suited for it of any prospect, along with Nolan). Likely PK potential too. So, I don't subscribe to the unicorn idea; he's got flaws when he's not around the net at ES. But he has interesting outcomes too. Like in on-ice effectiveness, with a few wrinkles (better skater, worse body control, perhaps a bit smarter), his ceiling might be Wayne Simmonds-esque. For better and worse.

If we get a Simmer out of him that'll be great, and I'm just talking about the scoring and PP stuff. But is that really his upper limit? You don't think he could be a Andreychuk type or a LeClair type?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

What’s the floor in your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad