Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Lyon had a decent NHL season last year in limited time he was in the NHL.
This season he was misused by Hakstool, it’s better that he’s back in the AHL to refine his game.
I would like to see him get some consistent playing time but I don’t think he’ll get that in Philadelphia. If Lyon makes it in the NHL it will most likely be with another club.

Also the Phantoms are without Knight and Laberge, they lost Martel to waivers and sent Fazleev packing.
Coming into the season it looked as the phantoms would be a pretty deep group but injuries have ravaged this team. Compared to other AHL clubs Lehigh were one of the club that had good depth until injuries started mounting.

Add in the illness of leier and the injured list of kase,rubtsov,bardreau,bunnyman, and The call up of varone they r short handed.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I’ll be surprised if Myers isn’t called up sometime within the next few weeks. The second half of this season should be about info gathering for the front office. They need to get a glimpse of Myers over the next few months at the NHL level. NAK & Friedman too. Gotta see what these kids have in a low pressure situation where the playoffs are not a realistic goal whatsoever. Their play probably won’t contribute to many wins...& that’s okay. Getting experience and adjusting to NHL pace & skill will be beneficial for these players when next season comes around.

Last night’s Phantoms game was a textbook example of Murphy’s law. Everyone was bad and nearly every play by every player was bad. I’m not taking much from that game from any of the call-up candidates (or the team at large).

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
That Phantoms game was a shit show. First full game I've seen in a bit, and they give me that?
I agree the obvious suspects need to come up and play. Despite the overall team performance, you still see what some of these guys could bring. Especially after watching Weise, Hagg/Folin, etc. earlier in the day. You can do it Chuck. Just pull the damn trigger. No one is going to accuse you of making moves for the sake of it at this point.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They'll be up by the end of February or so.

But Fletcher shouldn't rush to do anything, right now his goal should be to garner maximum value for the players he's going to be trading the next month.
Whether the AHL call ups play 20 or 30 games will have little impact on their development.

Another factor is timing, between injuries and waiting for CHL/college players to finish their seasons, Phantoms might struggle to field a team if they call up 3-4 players. They'd like to make the Calder Cup playoffs for a number of reasons, fan support, giving prospects remaining on the team a chance for playoff experience, and giving CHL/college players an audition under playoff pressure to gauge how far they are from the NHL.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’ll be surprised if Myers isn’t called up sometime within the next few weeks. The second half of this season should be about info gathering for the front office. They need to get a glimpse of Myers over the next few months at the NHL level. NAK & Friedman too. Gotta see what these kids have in a low pressure situation where the playoffs are not a realistic goal whatsoever. Their play probably won’t contribute to many wins...& that’s okay. Getting experience and adjusting to NHL pace & skill will be beneficial for these players when next season comes around.

Last night’s Phantoms game was a textbook example of Murphy’s law. Everyone was bad and nearly every play by every player was bad. I’m not taking much from that game from any of the call-up candidates (or the team at large).

This organization has failed repeatedly over the last few years at calling up prospects at the right time. Even with Hextall gone, I am skeptical until it happens.

TB87

May 30, 2018
This organization has failed repeatedly over the last few years at calling up prospects at the right time. Even with Hextall gone, I am skeptical until it happens.

Hextall relied on injuries at the NHL level for call-ups. The Varone call-up was merit-based. Still not sure if that stays the same for the Flyers prospects on the Phantoms though. We’ll know soon enough. Myers has been call-up worthy for a few weeks now. The EvolvingWild twins (big Wild fans who run the evolving-hockey analytics site) told me that the vast majority of AHL call-ups were merit-based under Fletcher & Flahr.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall relied on injuries at the NHL level for call-ups. The Varone call-up was merit-based. Still not sure if that stays the same for the Flyers prospects on the Phantoms though. We’ll know soon enough. Myers has been call-up worthy for a few weeks now. The EvolvingWild twins (big Wild fans who run the evolving-hockey analytics site) told me that the vast majority of AHL call-ups were merit-based under Fletcher & Flahr.

Yeah I mean, Fletch talked about merit-based promotions when he got here...but here we are still watching Weise and either MacDonald or Folin play over NAK and Myers..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looks like Suzuki coming over is going to help Ratcliffe a lot, scorers need someone to get them the puck.
Big kid has good hands and a nice shot, not sure he's that far from the NHL.
Another prospect who has more than lived up to his draft slot.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Yeah I mean, Fletch talked about merit-based promotions when he got here...but here we are still watching Weise and either MacDonald or Folin play over NAK and Myers..

Seems like Fletcher & Co. we’re hoping that the guys who are here we’re going to turn the corner. This group has done it before so you can’t really blame them for hoping that’ll happen again. The lipstick has faded off of the pig (Weise & Folin) & Amac is bad. Myers will be here soon me thinks. NAK too

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I’m still curious to see what Ratcliffe’s bread and butter will be as a pro. IMO he seems to be too uncoordinated with his lengthiness to be a skill guy, but doesn’t play a typical power forward game to max his frame. He does have good speed and of course great size. I’d say a better shooting and puck handing version of the current Simmonds would be awesome

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m still curious to see what Ratcliffe’s bread and butter will be as a pro. IMO he seems to be too uncoordinated with his lengthiness to be a skill guy, but doesn’t play a typical power forward game to max his frame. He does have good speed and of course great size.

Similar thoughts. His two best attributes are straight lining it off the rush for a snipe or perched in front of the net. His boards play and passing and puck work in tight spaces still are a question mark/work in progress to me.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Similar thoughts. His two best attributes are straight lining it off the rush for a snipe or perched in front of the net. His boards play and passing and puck work in tight spaces still are a question mark/work in progress to me.
He's not uncoordinated like a lot of really big guys are when they are young. He's a good passer too. He'll need another year or two before he'll be ready for the NHL, but he's got character to spare so I have no doubt he'll work on his game until he makes it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's not uncoordinated like a lot of really big guys are when they are young. He's a good passer too. He'll need another year or two before he'll be ready for the NHL, but he's got character to spare so I have no doubt he'll work on his game until he makes it.

I don't think he's a good passer. I think he can be quite turnover prone and doesn't have good vision or touch. I think his puck control is still a bit clunky in tight spaces or attacking defenders off the rush. His skating is not clunky, though it's not like he's Blake Wheeler either. I watch him and do wonder how he will create space for himself with the puck. That doesn't void his good play off-puck or finishing. And his body still will take time to develop core strength along the boards. So, we'll see. He's improved in certain areas to me. But I've also never viewed him as a top 6 "unicorn" like others.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I don't think he's a good passer. I think he can be quite turnover prone and doesn't have good vision or touch. I think his puck control is still a bit clunky in tight spaces or attacking defenders off the rush. His skating is not clunky, though it's not like he's Blake Wheeler either. I watch him and do wonder how he will create space for himself with the puck. That doesn't void his good play off-puck or finishing. And his body still will take time to develop core strength along the boards. So, we'll see. He's improved in certain areas to me. But I've also never viewed him as a top 6 "unicorn" like others.

I agree with you. Not trying to bury the guy or anything, I think he has good raw skills to go with a unique big frame.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

On the other hand, he's only 20, scoring goals at a high rate with a body that probably will fill out, and body control mature for another 2-3 years.
We're not talking a clunky big guy with straight line speed who you're projecting without production.
He has really good hands, if he fills out and learns to play a big man's game, he could be much better than Simmonds, who wasn't bad in his prime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad