Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Zamula is getting me excited. It’s nice to see a player just explode for offense production. I wonder how many players went from his type of production to where he is now and had successful careers.

Not many. Myers is one. He is a success to some degree already, even if he hasn't played an NHL game (sooooon).

Unlike Myers though, Zamula's lack of production in his draft year can be somewhat explained. Import defenseman almost always struggle in their first year in the CHL. It's a big jump from the u17 league in Russia to the WHL. Cultural changes too. He split his season between two different clubs in two different provinces with a stint on WHL waivers in between. He played on a stacked team in Regina- buried in the lineup. Calgary was terrible, but 11 points in 31 games is somewhat decent. He was more of a depth guy at the u18s, but I would expect that to change next year at the WJCs. He was also (and still is) physically immature for his age.

I don't think he's a better prospect than Myers at the same age (Myers is and was a much better athlete) but Zamula keeps getting better every time I see him, so who knows? :dunno:

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
I am not on board with the tank, but yeah. Give it a rest Bill, you have better things to do than play message board monitor
I don't follow this board (or any board) as closely as many here, so I may have missed other Bill Meltzer posts on this topic (and if I have, then perhaps this post is a "nevermind), but setting aside the quality of his HockeyBuzz columns (which I agree, has fallen recently), I think the point he makes is easily forgotten in the glitter of getting Hughes with the #1 pick. The statistics for the likelihood of getting a top two pick in the lottery, from last place to 10th place (under the lottery rules), versus "Everyone Else" getting a top two pick, are pretty striking ("1st" means the team that would pick 1st were there no lottery; "2nd" means the team that would pick 2nd were there no lottery, etc.; "% Odds" means % odds of getting the #1 or #2 pick in the lottery)

Team % Odds

Everyone Else: 65%
1st 35%
2nd 26.5%
3rd 22.8%
4th 19.1%
5th 17.2%
6th 15.3%
7th 13.3%
8th 12.3%
9th 10.3%
10th 7.3%

Obviously, finishing last improves your odds, but the odds are still against you. The Flyers beat the odds for Patrick, but that was pretty unusual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I don't follow this board (or any board) as closely as many here, so I may have missed other Bill Meltzer posts on this topic (and if I have, then perhaps this post is a "nevermind), but setting aside the quality of his HockeyBuzz columns (which I agree, has fallen recently), I think the point he makes is easily forgotten in the glitter of getting Hughes with the #1 pick. The statistics for the likelihood of getting a top two pick in the lottery, from last place to 10th place (under the lottery rules), versus "Everyone Else" getting a top two pick, are pretty striking ("1st" means the team that would pick 1st were there no lottery; "2nd" means the team that would pick 2nd were there no lottery, etc.; "% Odds" means % odds of getting the #1 or #2 pick in the lottery)

Team % Odds

1st 35%
2nd 26.5%
3rd 22.8%
4th 19.1%
5th 17.2%
6th 15.3%
7th 13.3%
8th 12.3%
9th 10.3%
10th 7.3%

Obviously, finishing last improves your odds, but the odds are still against you. The Flyers beat the odds for Patrick, but that was pretty unusual.

What are the odds of getting a top 5 pick if you finish last?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, the goal shouldn't be to tank, a fool's errand, but to accumulate more assets to flip in June, and give some young players late season cameos to gauge their readiness for next season.

Reactions: Benji007

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Yeah, the goal shouldn't be to tank, a fool's errand, but to accumulate more assets to flip in June, and give some young players late season cameos to gauge their readiness for next season.

c7NJRa2.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

I seriously think Högberg could hold his own in an NHL bottom pairing role right now. So precise, clinical, always reads play well, so rarely misses an outlet.

Three seasons ago the Flyers were playing drek on the blue line. Now they have more young talent coming in at that position that they don't know what to do with them all. Quite a change and a nice one at that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Three seasons ago the Flyers were playing drek on the blue line. Now they have more young talent coming in at that position that they don't know what to do with them all. Quite a change and a nice one at that.

Yep, and quite frankly since the start of last season a defense made up of talented kids, Gudas and a few bottom pair calibre vets has been one of the ten most effective in the NHL... when you account for netminding.

With more talent coming.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Yep, and quite frankly since the start of last season a defense made up of talented kids, Gudas and a few bottom pair calibre vets has been one of the ten most effective in the NHL... when you account for netminding.

With more talent coming.
Its strikes me that the defense has improved as much as it has lately with the removal of Murphy and addition of Wilson. I don't see that as an accident.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think Provorov and Ghost have for sure looked like themselves again... even if the points are not coming in droves yet.

Sanheim+Gudas just continuing to play well.
Getting Ghost off of the top pair was important. No one can question his offensive potential, even though he does get overboard with it at times and gets caught too deep in the O zone. He's where he belongs on the second pair and that seems to be working for him. Having Gudas as a partner, who hardly ever strays into the O zone, really helps out Ghost. Ghost still needs improve his defense otherwise his offensive output will not surpass his defensive liabilities.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I really hope all this solid drafting wasn't on Hextall but on the scouting department. Watching the prospects grow and their games are more often then not more entertaining then the Flyers.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
I really hope all this solid drafting wasn't on Hextall but on the scouting department. Watching the prospects grow and their games are more often then not more entertaining then the Flyers.
it would be just our luck for this to be the case, and Fletcher goes and fires them all

Reactions: flyersfan187

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

I think so long as they allow the scouts to have major input they are the most important part of the puzzle... and pretty much every region now has a good record.

But the final decision making process, who is listened to most at what time etc, is ultimately important in regards to making the draft board and actually picking. Because there is not always consensus amongst the scouts ofc.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006

Team % Odds

1st 35%
2nd 26.5%
3rd 22.8%
4th 19.1%
5th 17.2%
6th 15.3%
7th 13.3%
8th 12.3%
9th 10.3%
10th 7.3%

The thing is... anyone that knows the slightest bit about the NHL draft and really anyone that follows the NHL closely at all knows this.

Reactions: DaphneLion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad