Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Can't believe twarynski was one of our last cuts. He's not very good.

Ah...usually you need a half way decent center to be a half way good winger. But.......

#1 Varone is with the Flyers
#2 Misha out day to day
#3 Rubstov out for the season

Bunny was pressed into center, what do you expect, miracles?

Lyon played well. Other than Myers and Friedman, way too many defensive gaffs. No one could pass, whether 2 feet away or a stretch pass. I do not think a beach ball would have helped. Something is wrong with TJ. Usually he makes 3 really good plays against 2 really bad ones. But he is really doing neither.

Until #1 and #2 centers return, I do not expect much offense. Goalies will have to stand on their heads and do back flips simultaneously to win games. Lyon can do only one at a time. I think Hart can do both.......we shall see.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watching the Phantoms, the same lack of speed was exposed, now of course without Varone, Rubtsov and Kase, they were missing their most skilled players, but other than NAK, no one could really skate with Cleveland. NAK was the only Phantom who looked NHL ready.

Twarynski and Bunnaman join MV, Leier as the marginal NHL prospects, I think Bardeau, Fazelev, Willcox have fallen below that level.

Myers and Friedman are playing competent, and it's hard to know how much meh partners are dragging them down, but neither stood out to me right now. The good thing is I didn't see Myers make a lot of mistakes, so he may be focusing on fundamentals at the expense of "flash plays" right now.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Twarynski and Bunnaman join MV, Leier as the marginal NHL prospects,

I've never seen someone so quick to turn on prospects after hyping them up out the wazoo. And I'm talking in a matter of months. NAK was a potential Voracek replacement last season. Sanheim would be a bigger and better Ghost before his rookie season, etc., etc. I'm not even mad or being accusatory, it's just impressive! :laugh:

deadhead said:
Losing JVR was a big blow b/c it happened so early in the season, in January you might just promote Twarynski or NAK and not miss a beat

deadhead said:
I thought Twarynski out of juniors looked better than NAK after two AHL seasons.

deadhead said:
4. Most impactful newcomer to the Phantoms roster this year at forward? (Rubtsov, Kase, Laberge, Twarynski, Bunnaman, other)

Twarynski, he's got size and speed and has developed a scoring touch, he's made for AHL hockey.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Myers and Friedman are playing competent, and it's hard to know how much meh partners are dragging them down, but neither stood out to me right now. The good thing is I didn't see Myers make a lot of mistakes, so he may be focusing on fundamentals at the expense of "flash plays" right now.

Having seen games online and then the one game LHV in Toronto in person, I have very little doubt that deHaas is a major anchor on Meyers' play.

Reactions: Asnito and Stizzle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Twarynski really regressed from TC, of course, some of the line combos for LHV, especially with Rubtsov out, aren't favorable to young forwards. But he looked better than NAK in preseason. I expect Twarynski to pick it up the second half, NAK started slow last year, and Bunnaman is just now making a little noise.

I never saw NAK as the replacement for Voracek, a bottom six RW but not a scoring threat.

My point with JVR was that early in the season, losing a major piece hurts more than later in the year when young forwards on LHV have enough experience under their belts to fill in, allowing other players to be promoted up a line. You hope to get through the first half of the season relatively unscathed for that reason - Stolarz is a good example, we got lucky because he certainly could have used a half dozen more AHL starts before getting recalled.

Sanheim should become a bigger and better Ghost or he's a disappointment, the skills are there, and he certainly has size, reach and straight line speed over Ghost - if the recent shot he's shown is for real, he closed another gap. He'll never be as agile or quick as Ghost, though Ghost is not nearly as quick or agile as rookie Ghost - he looks like he never came back 100% off surgery.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Having seen games online and then the one game LHV in Toronto in person, I have very little doubt that deHaas is a major anchor on Meyers' play.

Samuelson isn't much better, Palmquist is the best of the scrub defenseman, though last night is the worst he's looked to me this season from the games I've watched.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Samuelson isn't much better, Palmquist is the best of the scrub defenseman, though last night is the worst he's looked to me this season from the games I've watched.

No disagreement. Samuelsson wasn't as egregious, but still not good.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've never seen someone so quick to turn on prospects after hyping them up out the wazoo. And I'm talking in a matter of months. NAK was a potential Voracek replacement last season. Sanheim would be a bigger and better Ghost before his rookie season, etc., etc. I'm not even mad or being accusatory, it's just impressive! :laugh:
I’ll make an accusation because I know exactly why.

The only reason the guy was getting hyped up was because it looked like he was either going to make the team out of camp or soon get called up, so it was hype to support Hakstols/Hextalls actions.

When it was clear he wasn’t getting called up it became safe to admit he’s a nothing prospect who was severely overused on preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad