Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Laczynski had a couple moments but was pretty average tonight watching the rest on tape. To be fair Ohio State looked like they were stuck in mud, struggled breaking out, and weren't creating a ton of chances. Notre Dame is a good team, but OSU, including Laczynski, played sleepy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Laczynski had a couple moments but was pretty average tonight watching the rest on tape. To be fair Ohio State looked like they were stuck in mud, struggled breaking out, and weren't creating a ton of chances. Notre Dame is a good team, but OSU, including Laczynski, played sleepy.

I watched a lot of it. It was a horribly boring game. Neither team could move the puck. Tons of neutral zone stickiness. No one could create anything cycling and there were no rushes.

OSU's line combos had me a bit worried. The guys I recalled having offensive upside seemed spread out to the point where Laczynski had pretty meh linemates. There blue line did not look inspiring either. If last night is any indication of how they will normally play, I'm not getting my hopes up for a big season from Laczynski.

Reactions: Magua

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I was just about to post that, but I fell of my chair.

Like we all knew he was irrationally in love with Lamarche......but what the ****.
Actually by far the most import aspect of the quote is he acknowledges isn't in charge of picking the line ups. What i also don't like at all is the implication that they could have a better record (therefore I'm a better coach) if i could pick the lineup. Its a selfish statement and if i was Hexy and read that I would be pissed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually by far the most import aspect of the quote is he acknowledges isn't in charge of picking the line ups. What i also don't like at all is the implication that they could have a better record (therefore I'm a better coach) if i could pick the lineup. Its a selfish statement and if i was Hexy and read that I would be pissed.

Well, if that's true, then we know Hextall runs everything, there's a well thought out plan to how prospects are developed, and y'all can stop bitching about Gordon's non-decisions.
You many not agree with Hextall, but at least there's some logic behind who plays with whom and where.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That doesn't prove Hextall runs things.

It proves that Gordon knows his job is to develop prospects, so he can't do everything he wants at their expense. Doesn't mean he has no control, it just means he knows he'd be fired if he completely neglected them and rode his obsessions.

But good attempt to spin it in a "nothing is ever the coaches fault" manner. Didn't work, but you tried at least.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Vorobyev:
Gordon’s take: “There’s no question he’s our best passer. I think what he found out is he’s got to move his feet more when he’s making his passes. The second thing is standing still. Options can close down quicker because it’s a smaller ice surface. (He’s facing) smarter players and the space isn’t there that you have with the bigger rink. That was his biggest challenge probably the first two weeks.”

Friedman:
Gordon’s take: “The only thing that might be a little bit different (from Myers’ development) is that Mark is really fast. But he has to learn to use his speed defending skating forward. They all defend the same way skating backwards. Sometimes guys are off the map as far as where they should be as it relates to the dots, but with Mark, because he’s so fast skating forward, there’s times where he can defend skating forward to give himself the ability to go get the pucks first, versus getting pucks in 50/50 situations.”

Lindblom:
Gordon’s take: “It played out the same way it did two years ago when he came here. The first three games he didn’t have any points, but he had a ton of chances and then the last five games he had seven points. He’s on that roll right now. To me, when you talk about habits and details, he’s one of those guys that’s got a ton of good ones. Even when he’s not producing, he’s still not hurting your team. He doesn’t get scored against 5-on-5 and that’s not an accident. He wins his battles along the walls and protects the puck in the defensive zone, offensive zone. Knows when to make a play and when not to make a play. Knows the timing of when to go to the net. Even when he wasn’t getting his points, I wasn’t concerned. He was doing too many good things for it not to come.”

Lyon:
Gordon’s take: “Dustin’s played well in the games that he’s played, so it’s a good competition. I think it’s good that he’s got a little push here. I think Alex has played well, but I think he’s even capable of more. I think eventually he’ll get himself into a position where he becomes one of the better guys in the American Hockey League. I think he’s not that far off, but I think he’s got another level.”

NAK:
Gordon’s take: “He’s night-and-day from last year but there’s still room for growth. This is what I stressed to him: you’ve got a great shot. Be a shooter. Shoot first, pass second. If you can’t shoot, then there’s probably a pass to be made because they’ve taken the shot away. It was a slow start for him in recognizing that, but I found in the last week and a half, even in practice, he’s taken it to heart and has become a shooter and with that he’s gotten more confidence with the puck.”

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...rly-returns-lehigh-valley-phantoms/829665001/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That doesn't prove Hextall runs things.

It proves that Gordon knows his job is to develop prospects, so he can't do everything he wants at their expense. Doesn't mean he has no control, it just means he knows he'd be fired if he completely neglected them and rode his obsessions.

But good attempt to spin it in a "nothing is ever the coaches fault" manner. Didn't work, but you tried at least.

But who is "them."
Whomever Hextall says is "them."
I'm sure Hextall talks to him pretty regularly about the prospects, and he'd better have a really good excuse for not playing them.
Hextall definitely makes these decisions, look how Laughton was employed last year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But who is "them."
Whomever Hextall says is "them."
I'm sure Hextall talks to him pretty regularly about the prospects, and he'd better have a really good excuse for not playing them.
Hextall definitely makes these decisions, look how Laughton was employed last year.
Are you asking me who the prospects are?

There's no reason to believe Hextall is controlling the coaches every single thought and move. You clearly want that to be true so that you can absolve the coach of any mistakes, as usual, but that's not reality.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There’s obviously similarities between what’s done at both levels. So you can see that Hextall has some impact on that. When it comes to last year with the Myers/Friedman situation though I don’t doubt that was on Gordon. But at the same time I don’t think Hextall cared enough. As he’s pretty much shown that he doesn’t think sitting young players is a bad thing but actually the opposite.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If similarities between coaches was enough to mean the GM is controlling both then Hextall must be the GM of the majority of the league.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
1. Brennan
2. Lamarche
3. O'Neill
4. Morin
5. Alt
6. Myers
7. Friedman.....?

I'm still trying to figure out Gordon's depth chart.

I watched a lot of it. It was a horribly boring game. Neither team could move the puck. Tons of neutral zone stickiness. No one could create anything cycling and there were no rushes.

OSU's line combos had me a bit worried. The guys I recalled having offensive upside seemed spread out to the point where Laczynski had pretty meh linemates. There blue line did not look inspiring either. If last night is any indication of how they will normally play, I'm not getting my hopes up for a big season from Laczynski.

Yeah, he wasn't playing with Joshua or Jobst. I'm pretty sure he was on a different PP too, that was run more by lines (how Russian) than an actual PP unit. Surprise!....they're operating at like 6% or something now.

Going back to last year I thought the OSU coach was a dunderhead with player usage. The systems still looked basic and bland and generally awful. No one is really putting up big numbers on that team, and it's a wonder why.

Reactions: Stizzle

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1. Brennan
2. Lamarche
3. O'Neill
4. Morin
5. Alt
6. Myers
7. Friedman.....?

I'm still trying to figure out Gordon's depth chart.
Willcox is in there somewhere. They just signed Adam Comrie again so I’m sure he’ll work his way up the ladder.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, to be fair to Gordon, he has to balance player development with wanting to keep his core of veterans on their game, he knows he'll lose Morin at some point, maybe Myers, certainly Vorobyev and Lindblom. So on one hand your job is to develop them, on the other hand you're preparing for them to move on in mid-season.

So if I were coaching, I might want my veterans on the top D pair and the 1st PP, because then when the kids leave I'm not dealing with reworking all my lines and ST units. Of course, Hextall might want something different.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gostisbehere was the only prospect Gordon has lost in season to promotion. He’s lost some players here & there for a bit but he’s never really lost someone outright in season to the NHL sans Gostisbehere.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Weal?

This year is a bit different, he actually has players he can expect to get promoted at some point.

With Provorov and Konency skipping jail, he hasn't had the much in the way of talent, Leier for a couple years, Alt and Hagg for a couple years, NAK for a couple years, but not the kind of players like Giroux who you know aren't staying for long.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He lost Weal late in the season. Hextall’s shown a real reluctance in calling up players in season unless of an injury. No one has ever just got called up because they’re playing well. I don’t expect anything to change there.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Gordon is in a really tough place. We all want the phantoms to succeed, but in reality the development of the prospects is paramount to the flyers success. He's a pretty terrible x and o's coach, and everytime they play they totally rely upon skill players to get them over the line individually. But he seems like he's doing a pretty good job with the prospects development. You can tell he's a hard-ass and doesn't give them anything on a plate. They really do have to strive even for ice time. But that's not a terrible thing. Their painfully out coached every time they play, but if the prospects don't skip a beat going from there to the NHL, I don't particularly care.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not as if he has to choose between one or the other when it comes to using the prospects and winning games.

If he used the prospects more, and in a different way, they very likely win more games. Some of the prospects are already superior players than the vets, but they aren't being used like it.

For example, Sanheim having spotty PP usage last year... or Laughton having early zero PP usage.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He lost Weal late in the season. Hextall’s shown a real reluctance in calling up players in season unless of an injury. No one has ever just got called up because they’re playing well. I don’t expect anything to change there.

And the only reason Weal came up was because Konecny missed time, and he was too good to send down. Plus Raffl was injured.

I doubt we will see Lindblom there all season, but who knows when they'll call him up, and if they will wait indefinitely for an injury. Even if promoted on merit, it will be a first. And they expected him to make the team in the summer, so it was more like a demotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad