Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I don't think that's Gordon, but Hextall.

And Fazleev admits he learned to understand why they wanted him to play that way, that while it was frustrating, he also learned a lot about playing the NA game.

I think the approach for lesser talented players is to have them concentrate on defense and forechecking their first season, then expand their offensive role once they're reliable. Since the future role for these players is going to be as a bottom six forward, if they can't master forechecking and defense, they have no NHL future. Next season, with some veteran forwards gone, I'd expect AK, Fazleev and Bardeau to play a bigger offensive role.

I am somewhat in agreement with that. Fazleev himself readily admits that it was a rite of passage and that he learned a lot from that.
Also, as a former coach (although not hockey) I would agree that one coaches structure first and freedom of improvisation comes later.
Additionally, Fazlleev is probably not slated to become more than role player on the NHL level. but I am sure, if he works hard, he will be given an opportunity to prove his coach wrong.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't think anyone has an issue with Fazleev having to work his way up and start on a 4th line role. He seemed fine and understanding of that. No one wants anyone gifted anything. And frankly Fazleev is lower on our pecking order of player usage we hated under Gordon, as a probable NHL 4th liner himself.

It's more the issue that he was steered to NOT play his style game but that of a bland VDV grinder (NAK is way more of an issue regarding this). The Phantoms had no structure and played pond hockey, so whatever it was he was learning to change about his game wasn't structure. And Fazleev always played a pretty structured game anyway. And his usage wasn't 4th line but non-existent when the games counted because the coach has an obsession with veterans.....worse veterans. Fazleev wasn't alone there. Making the playoffs to get bounced in round 1 was more important than player development. Gordon gets zero benefit of the doubt.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thanks a lot, CSKA :yo:

I'm not going to go into a CDP-style rant over Gordon, because what is the point? We all know he is an awful caveman who should be coaching neanderthals in how to defend against and/or attack dinosaurs. The thing I found interesting and touching in that article is what Radel said about his dad losing his job and not wanting to be a drain on the family's finances. I'm rooting for him to make it, without putting too much expectation on it.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I don't think anyone has an issue with Fazleev having to work his way up and start on a 4th line role. He seemed fine and understanding of that. No one wants anyone gifted anything. And frankly Fazleev is lower on our pecking order of player usage we hated under Gordon, as a probable NHL 4th liner himself.

It's more the issue that he was steered to NOT play his style game but that of a bland VDV grinder (NAK is way more of an issue regarding this). The Phantoms had no structure and played pond hockey, so whatever it was he was learning to change about his game wasn't structure. And Fazleev always played a pretty structured game anyway. And his usage wasn't 4th line but non-existent when the games counted because the coach has an obsession with veterans.....worse veterans. Fazleev wasn't alone there. Making the playoffs to get bounced in round 1 was more important than player development. Gordon gets zero benefit of the doubt.

i will trust your opinion on that as i saw very little of Phantoms.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Vorobyov better not get the same treatment. Seems like Gordon is molding them to be old school 4th liners. Something that will go the same route as enforcers in the next decade IMO.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Vorobyov better not get the same treatment. Seems like Gordon is molding them to be old school 4th liners. Something that will go the same route as enforcers in the next decade IMO.

I think too much is being made of this. Gordon did what Hexy wanted for all the kids, esp. Sanheim, but Aube-Kubel and Fazleev too: Learn how to play D at the pro level. That's what the AHL is for. Get a base of solid play in your own zone, then go from there. You're in the minors for a reason, so at least learn the lessons.

Fazleev knows he's not fast enough to play on a scoring line, so if he's going to make the NHL, he's going to have to be able to shut the other side down first. If he can do that, he'll get the chance to show off his passing skills. I liked the way he played in the WJC, after being a surprise addition. The coach trusted him and moved him up the lineup. He'll get a bigger role this year.

My bigger problem isn't with Gordon, who I know very little about, it's with Hextall. Why did they go so overboard in signing veterans? I guess they felt they needed to make the playoffs at the expense of playing prospects. They signed way too many forwards and even O'Brien was superfluous after getting Brennan. There were no lineup spots for the kids, but it must've been what Hexy wanted because he kept Gordon after watching him sacrifice development ice time in favour of trying to win.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think too much is being made of this. Gordon did what Hexy wanted for all the kids, esp. Sanheim, but Aube-Kubel and Fazleev too: Learn how to play D at the pro level. That's what the AHL is for. Get a base of solid play in your own zone, then go from there. You're in the minors for a reason, so at least learn the lessons.

Fazleev knows he's not fast enough to play on a scoring line, so if he's going to make the NHL, he's going to have to be able to shut the other side down first. If he can do that, he'll get the chance to show off his passing skills. I liked the way he played in the WJC, after being a surprise addition. The coach trusted him and moved him up the lineup. He'll get a bigger role this year.

My bigger problem isn't with Gordon, who I know very little about, it's with Hextall. Why did they go so overboard in signing veterans? I guess they felt they needed to make the playoffs at the expense of playing prospects. They signed way too many forwards and even O'Brien was superfluous after getting Brennan. There were no lineup spots for the kids, but it must've been what Hexy wanted because he kept Gordon after watching him sacrifice development ice time in favour of trying to win.

I'm guessing he has a 2 year AHL plan for each prospect. Start out in limited role to work on weaknesses than have expanded role in year 2. Plus he thinks its important for them to experience succesful playoff runs. That backfired with them going out in the 1st while Myers, Friedman and others watched inferior players play.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016

I have my own opinion of Gordon and it's not good. Not sure what fazleev who was arguably their best face off guy in the regular season learned from sitting in the press box during all 5 playoff games and watching Steven swavely play but hey maybe he was comparing notes with Myers and Friedman.:shakehead

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just read that Fazleev interview.

Confirms what we all know about Gordon. He is a clueless min-Hak.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thanks a lot, CSKA :yo:

I'm not going to go into a CDP-style rant over Gordon, because what is the point? We all know he is an awful caveman who should be coaching neanderthals in how to defend against and/or attack saber toothed tigers. The thing I found interesting and touching in that article is what Radel said about his dad losing his job and not wanting to be a drain on the family's finances. I'm rooting for him to make it, without putting too much expectation on it.

Uh, there's enough bad science going around these days.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Btw, there is also a translation of this interview by Alex Seren Rosso: http://thehockeywriters.com/radel-fazleev-sophomore-season/

But in the original interview, there was a part that both Alex and CSKA1974 didn't translate (possibly because it is kind of a sensitive part and could be easily misinterpreted and add some unwanted controversy), in that part Fazleev compared Canadian and USA people and he had an impression that Americans are a bit more aggressive and he remembered an example (my poor translation is below):

And if you start arguing about something, like it happened to me in the team, you'd hear back: "What are you doing here? Go to your Russia!". I answered: "I would go, but hockey is my job and NHL is the best league in the world, if the best league would be in Russia, I would go back without a second thought."

Probably not a big deal, but made me wonder if everything is fine with the atmosphere inside the team (especially considering that more Russians are expecting to be there next season).

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Btw, there is also a translation of this interview by Alex Seren Rosso: http://thehockeywriters.com/radel-fazleev-sophomore-season/

But in the original interview, there was a part that both Alex and CSKA1974 didn't translate (possibly because it is kind of a sensitive part and could be easily misinterpreted and add some unwanted controversy), in that part Fazleev compared Canadian and USA people and he had an impression that Americans are a bit more aggressive and he remembered an example (my poor translation is below):

Probably not a big deal, but made me wonder if everything is fine with the atmosphere inside the team (especially considering that more Russians are expecting to be there next season).

Did not translate that part on purpose, as well as the part about the USA- Russia tensions implications. I wanted to to cover only game related aspects of the interview.

But the tensions (especially inter- national) are unavoidable in the room of 25 young Alfa males from different cultures. They have to go through growing pains together and build a cohesive team together.

BTW, Alex Seren Rosso's interpretation flows much smoother and much easier to read than mine. I tip my hat to him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That **** really pisses me off if true.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
That **** really pisses me off if true.

C'mon. We do not have a context of this argument or a sense of level of escalation in that discussion. We only hear one side of the argument without even knowing what the argument was about. Trust me, being from former Soviet Union I am very sensitive and protective of every Russian speaking person, but I also know how hardheaded and righteous we can be in an argument. Remember how every team mate avoided Bryz on the HBO documentary.

I am willing to discount this to just team growing pains.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, context is massive when it comes to stuff like this. In text it could seem way different from how it sounded in person. We have no idea what happened.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Uh, there's enough bad science going around these days.

I think you have posted enough imaginary, incorrect, phantasmagorical nonsense on here that you could give me a pass on the dinosaurs :laugh: And FWIW, I have admitted repeatedly that I don't know the square root of jack **** when it comes to science.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But Russians are such mellow people, just like Americans.

Canadians are civilized, except when they get on ice with a stick in their hand or have a dozen Molsons.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hextall is slowly losing my confidence that he isn't a buffoon also. The people he has employed, some of his trades, him not trading PEB, possibly over-valuing of AMac and other minor details. Not a ringing endorsement. He has drafted a few quality players but I'm in the camp he's just listening to what his scouts are telling him to do.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Hextall is slowly losing my confidence that he isn't a buffoon also. The people he has employed, some of his trades, him not trading PEB, possibly over-valuing of AMac and other minor details. Not a ringing endorsement. He has drafted a few quality players but I'm in the camp he's just listening to what his scouts are telling him to do.

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Hey Guys, I've posted this here a couple times before. I'm still working my way through the spreadsheet, but since the draft is coming up soon I'm looking for feedback as I want to prep this ****** so it's useful.

I would hope you guys find some value in this and you can use it as a resource. I will keep managing it and incorporating people's feedback. Feel free to leave comments, even negative, its a work in progress so I want to make sure it makes sense to outsiders and not just myself.

FLYERS IN DEPTH GOOGLE DOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad