Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [June 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It all depends on health with Morin. Assuming that Gostisbehere is gone, if his legs are fine, he’d make the club.

Health and rust, which is what makes it tough on a GM, you can't count on Morin, but if you have 7-8 other NHL caliber D-men in camp, there may not be room, if you don't build enough depth, Morin may not be ready.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Health and rust, which is what makes it tough on a GM, you can't count on Morin, but if you have 7-8 other NHL caliber D-men in camp, there may not be room, if you don't build enough depth, Morin may not be ready.
It all boils down to health. He should have made the club two seasons ago before the injuries started. If Sam is well, he could be sixth deep on the present Flyers depth chart counting Braun and Gostisbehere as gone.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
It all boils down to health. He should have made the club two seasons ago before the injuries started. If Sam is well, he could be sixth deep on the present Flyers depth chart counting Braun and Gostisbehere as gone.
I would argue the season prior to that. we were out of the playoffs and should have been up over the old vets at least for the spring.

the way it played out screamed he thought it was his spot and management wanted to send a message

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think they're tanking, but for some reason I don't think they like the Ghost. I can't explain why, and I don't agree. But if AV won't play him, they are better off trading him for something else they need.
I can explain why. ;)

44db581fc7fe90b15f1a64d1ab4dc932.png

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
The way Zamula (sp?) played there is no way Morin is passing him on the depth chart. I would have to think that Hagg, Ghost and Braun not coming back would be the only realistic chance of Morin even sniffing a possible 7-8 role

Reactions: dats81 and Rebels57

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I don't see why Morin can't travel with the team as a seldom used #8. He's cheap and that basically gives them 2 reserves at each position (would have to dress 7 D if 2 forwards got hurt/sick on the road.

Rosters may be expanded too so you need cheap bodies that aren't developmental guys, and he isn't really at this point, arguably.

In any case, they stated they want to him to play 60+ games (which is reasonable) so hello waivers/possible loss and that's just how that goes. Decision is already made. Have fun at Montreal, Sam. Hope things go better there.

Last edited:

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
The way Zamula (sp?) played there is no way Morin is passing him on the depth chart. I would have to think that Hagg, Ghost and Braun not coming back would be the only realistic chance of Morin even sniffing a possible 7-8 role

Guys like Zamula need to play though and aren't really suitable for the sit in the press box role.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK got through waivers and he wasn't coming off two knee injuries, unless Morin looks really good in exhibition games, he's unlikely to be claimed.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don't see why Morin can't travel with the team as a seldom used #8. He's cheap and that basically gives them 2 reserves at each position (would have to dress 7 D if 2 forwards got hurt/sick on the road.

Rosters may be expanded too so you need cheap bodies that aren't really developmental guys, and he isn't really at this point, arguably.

In any case, they stated they want to him to play 60+ games (which is reasonable) so hello waivers/possible loss and that's just how that goes. Decision is already made. Have fun at Montreal, Sam. Hope things go better there.

I don't think it's smart (or fair to Sam) to make him the 8, and just let him travel with the team. The Flyers need to get eyes on him to evaluate him. They already have their LD set, and they have younger, better LD prospects that will be ready.

It's a shame, because I was hoping he could evolve into a big bodied, smooth skating modern day defensive defensman with a decent breakout pass. If he does it's not going to be on the Flyers.

Reactions: landsbergfan

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
NAK got through waivers and he wasn't coming off two knee injuries, unless Morin looks really good in exhibition games, he's unlikely to be claimed.
It was still dumb to waive him though. Getting lucky doesn't make it less dumb.

"Hey i drove home wasted last night but somehow didn't kill anyone or get arrested!"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was still dumb to waive him though. Getting lucky doesn't make it less dumb.

"Hey i drove home wasted last night but somehow didn't kill anyone or get arrested!"

It's a calculated risk, NAK was beat out by Bunnaman and Twarynski in camp (not exactly a bias toward veterans there) and Fletcher had a good feel for whether he'd be claimed.

It was a wakeup call, and NAK woke up.

Let's not overrate NAK, he was a solid 4RW in a sheltered role (9-10 ES minutes per game), he's got a fireplug body and skates well, good shot but a bit stiff and not a great offensive player. For him to be effective, he has to bring it every shift, because it's his forechecking that makes him valuable.

Sandin, Sushko, L:aczynski, Twarynski are going to be similar players, though the first three may have enough offensive skill to move up the food chain.
Bunnaman is a little different b/c he can play center, though it remains to be seen how well.

Morin faces a similar situation, right now he's competing with Hogberg, with Zamula and York probably a year away from pushing for a NHL job (Wylie's a RHD).
Hogberg is 22 with 200 SHL games under his belt, so he's probably as NHL ready as Morin.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I don't think it's smart (or fair to Sam) to make him the 8, and just let him travel with the team. The Flyers need to get eyes on him to evaluate him. They already have their LD set, and they have younger, better LD prospects that will be ready.

It's a shame, because I was hoping he could evolve into a big bodied, smooth skating modern day defensive defensman with a decent breakout pass. If he does it's not going to be on the Flyers.

He's getting paid and it's a NHL job. I think that's more than fair. Especially for a guy in his position who is lucky to be in the league. Is waiving him more fair? He gets hurt every time he goes to the AHL. Maybe he'd prefer not to.

Someone has to sit in the press box. Would you rather it be someone with a higher upside like Zamula? I wouldn't.

Signing a vet to sit is going to cost more than 700k and you know AV will take a shine to him and a kid will sit.

Sam sitting may be the least bad option.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He's getting paid and it's a NHL job. I think that's more than fair. Especially for a guy in his position who is lucky to be in the league. Is waiving him more fair? He gets hurt every time he goes to the AHL. Maybe he'd prefer not to.

Most professional athletes prefer to play. I doubt he would be grateful to sit in the press box and not play. But, I guess maybe we would want to.I can only speak what my thought process would be, but I would want to prove to myself that I can get through a full season of hockey, regardless of where I was playing. Sam has played 28 professional hockey games since 2017-2018. I believe it's unlikely that any coach would play him in the NHL. The only way he can prove he's ready is to play, and he's only going to play in the AHL. Now maybe that number isn't 50-60 games like AV suggested, maybe it's 20-30.

Someone has to sit in the press box. Would you rather it be someone with a higher upside like Zamula? I wouldn't.

Signing a vet to sit is going to cost more than 700k and you know AV will take a shine to him and a kid will sit.
I agree with this. Obviously I don't want Zamula sitting. I would prefer him (or Hogberg) to play on the 3rd pair. I'm guessing Friedman will be on the club as well. I'm also assuming that Hagg gets resigned. I would not be shocked if they acquired a bottom pairing dman via trade or free agency.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I would not be shocked if they acquired a bottom pairing dman via trade or free agency.

A defenseman I’ve always liked is Dylan Demelo. The volatility of the flat cap and it’s impact on FA’s makes his contract projection (& many other FA’s) a bit of a mystery. IDK if he’d be a realistic option or not. I just like the player. Brenden Dillon is a younger left-handed Braun-esque defenseman who is an intriguing option as well.

It all comes down to:
Are they trading Ghost?
Are they gonna be dumb and re-sign Braun?
Are they gonna be peak hockey men & re-sign Hogg cuz of dem gentle huggy hitz?
Etc...

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
A defenseman I’ve always liked is Dylan Demelo. The volatility of the flat cap and it’s impact on FA’s makes his contract projection (& many other FA’s) a bit of a mystery. IDK if he’d be a realistic option or not. I just like the player. Brenden Dillon is a younger left-handed Braun-esque defenseman who is an intriguing option as well.

It all comes down to:
Are they trading Ghost?
Etc...
I just already assumed they will re-sign Hagg.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm fine with Morin being claimed. I just want him to get a chance to play at this point.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It all comes down to:
Are they trading Ghost?
Etc...

Dillon - Friedman could be a solid bottom pair for a year.

Lol who am I kidding? Hagg will on the bottom pair for infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad