Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [June 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Also for those that listened to the entire podcast. If were going to make a big move I'd hope it would be for Eichel. I would definitely trade Couts ++ for him. Laine not quite as sure because of his compete level and 2 way game both things that would struggle under AV imo
You would trade a Selke winning centre and more for Eichel?

No.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Also for those that listened to the entire podcast. If were going to make a big move I'd hope it would be for Eichel. I would definitely trade Couts ++ for him. Laine not quite as sure because of his compete level and 2 way game both things that would struggle under AV imo
So you trade one #1 center for another... why do you build a team that way? Eichel isn’t available probably so no need to think about trading for him. Also, Laine would be an excellent addition but at what cost. I’m all for adding but draft picks need to be considered due to the expansion draft (I’m in favor of working a trade with Seattle and not exposing our players so they pick a specific one)

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
You would trade a Selke winning centre and more for Eichel?

No.
I would, everyone needs to think about this for a second. We are going to have to extend a 30 yr old Couts at what 7 or 8 years at 8-10 million. I would rather have a 22 yr old for the next 10 years at a similar number who easily will be a top 5 player in the league. If Couts was 3-4 yrs younger I wouldn't do it. We also have Patrick and Hayes that are similar to Couts. Don't think this will happen but I would do it.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I just realized that Buffalo needs to sign/find nine forwards for their roster next year.

They are going to be bad yet again.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I would, everyone needs to think about this for a second. We are going to have to extend a 30 yr old Couts at what 7 or 8 years at 8-10 million. I would rather have a 22 yr old for the next 10 years at a similar number who easily will be a top 5 player in the league. If Couts was 3-4 yrs younger I wouldn't do it. We also have Patrick and Hayes that are similar to Couts. Don't think this will happen but I would do it.
This is exactly why he should be traded. The Vorcek/Giroux/JVR contracts are not going to age well. The Couts one will put them to shame.....On the plus side the other 3 will be over by the time that goes bad

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is exactly why he should be traded. The Vorcek/Giroux/JVR contracts are not going to age well. The Couts one will put them to shame.....On the plus side the other 3 will be over by the time that goes bad
The Giroux and Voracek contracts only have 2 and 4 years left. And both are still playing fantastic. There's really no reason to worry about either.

Reactions: Devonator

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

So your own rational here puts into words why the ++ you mention would have to be a large enough that the deal is almost a guaranteed bad deal for the Flyers. In the modern cap era you can't be giving away a quantity of premium assets for a few extra years of control. Will the Flyers be in a tough position with Coots contract, yes. But will he likely play very well over the first 4 or 5 years of what will probably be a 6 or 7 year deal, also yes.

Do you trade Coots plus multi premium picks and prospects so that you don't have to face the possibility of
a year or two where Coots plays below his AAV. What is the opportunity costs to the Flyers?

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
During the Meltzer-AV interview [ horrible fanboy/softball interview]. The one thing that was interesting was that AV wants Morin to play 50_60 games in the AHL first. Wouldn't Morin have to pass waivers first? Just asking...

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
During the Meltzer-AV interview [ horrible fanboy/softball interview]. The one thing that was interesting was that AV wants Morin to play 50_60 games in the AHL first. Wouldn't Morin have to pass waivers first? Just asking...
Yes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
These things resolve themselves, if Morin looks great in camp, he probably won't get past waivers, but he won't be waived, either.
If Morin looks meh, it's doubtful anyone is going to grab a rookie D-man coming off major knee surgery and stash him on their roster.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah. But a claiming team would have to keep him on their NHL roster. They couldn’t send him down to the AHL as it would just go back to the Flyers (or the original team) who’d then have the option to reclaim Morin & have the option to send him to the AHL themselves without going through the waiver process again.

I think given he hasn’t played, realistically that makes him not claimable on waivers this upcoming year. I think a team would rather try to might make a trade with the Flyers (for like a conditional late round pick, essentially nothing) to be the original team if they had any interest in him.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Morin may pass at final roster cut time, when most teams are set roster wise, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was claimed either. It really depends on if just one other team likes him more than their 7th or 8th guy. It's certainly possible as the bar is rather low. Also that team's 7th/8th guy may be able to be sent down so there isn't really any downside for the claimer, potentially.

The Flyers could keep him at 8th as things currently stand roster wise and still have a spare forward for the road. They may sign a vet though or just decide that Morin needs the work and it is worth the risk (and they are close to cutting bait anyway and don't care that much if he is claimed).

This chatter to kind of prepare the fan base to losing him for nothing seems to indicate they will waive him, even if he may be claimed, or will try to trade him for a depth pick. Kind of a bummer but I don't really blame them with as many young D that have passed Morin on the depth chart by now. I don't see the harm of keeping him as the 8th and emergency reserve for a season if he is healthy but they really want him to play and it does make sense that he needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad