Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc. [June 2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just already assumed they will re-sign Hagg.

Fletcher's talk about needing more defensive depth basically spells that out. If they trade Ghost and lose Braun, they won't want to lose 3 defensemen, especially when one is an RFA and only needs a qualifying offer of $1.3 mil. They might not even want to lose 2. Of course that's about $1.3 mil than I'd like to spend on Hagg, but that's also the floor. It's possible they go multiple seasons; it's possible it's closer to $2 mil in AAV. With the opportunity cost of not getting a pick back......it would be less than ideal. He's more than replaceable -- improvable -- let alone at that cap hit.

How they handle Friedman ($725k), Ghost, Hagg, a potential UFA will be illuminating. Because there are options. Perhaps Occam's razor is that they view Hagg as good.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's hard to imagine someone seriously choosing an AHL defensemen who is bad at literally everything over a top pair guy who can play either side, is an elite puck mover, and is among the best offensive defensemen in the league. And yet here we are.

I dare them to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
A trade seems like the only way to get a short enough deal for a veteran defenseman, one that seems worth, I guess. Thanksfully, MTL may have done us a solid. I want no part in contracts like that.

It very much comes down to Ghost and their thoughts on him. Guys like Bill and Charlie were pushing the fact that the Ghost/Braun pairing wasnt working, and seemed okay with having Ghost get scratched as a result. It could be the other way around next year. The team could view Ghost as a lineup fixture and find a player to fit him. Unfortunately, it doesn't match what they seem to value as a "Braun replacement"

I do think AV knows Ghost should be in the lineup, he started each series with him in the lineup. It should be the obvious answer here. Fletcher has the data and has already referenced it. This is why the way this decision goes means so much to me. It will tell so many things about their process.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This Kobe Mohr suit is very interesting. It would be a long shot but what could eventually happen would be a MLB type situation where The CHL serves as a double A system for young prospects, and a feeder pool for the ahl. Teams would compete to sign players which would boost salary and benefits and could entice those who go the college route. If you are a 4th line chl scrub with no shot at playing professionally life is terrible. I don't know why anyone would choose that route.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I don't see why Morin can't travel with the team as a seldom used #8. He's cheap and that basically gives them 2 reserves at each position (would have to dress 7 D if 2 forwards got hurt/sick on the road.

Rosters may be expanded too so you need cheap bodies that aren't developmental guys, and he isn't really at this point, arguably.

In any case, they stated they want to him to play 60+ games (which is reasonable) so hello waivers/possible loss and that's just how that goes. Decision is already made. Have fun at Montreal, Sam. Hope things go better there.
He needs playing time badly and sitting as the number 8 will not do anything for him. You have to send through minors and if he gets claimed, good for him as guessing he doesn't want to play for Phantoms ever again.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I wouldn’t let him go for free through waivers. Make a trade with him like for a Puljujarvi. Someone who has talent that hasn’t worked out in a different organization.

At this point his trade value is nil, you aren't going to get anything back that represents more then letting him go for nothing.

Non blue chip prospects already don't carry a ton of weight in trades and ones Sam's age and with his history carry even less. He is 25 with 9 NHL games on experience and two mediocre/decent AHL seasons 4+ years ago.

You would need to find an player similar to that sort of track record, a guy like Puljujarvi definitely isn't in the same boat.

I understand what you are saying, and I am also a big asset management person. But at this point Morin has just past an expiration date where other teams aren't going to give up anything of value for him.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Most professional athletes prefer to play. I doubt he would be grateful to sit in the press box and not play. But, I guess maybe we would want to.I can only speak what my thought process would be, but I would want to prove to myself that I can get through a full season of hockey, regardless of where I was playing. Sam has played 28 professional hockey games since 2017-2018. I believe it's unlikely that any coach would play him in the NHL. The only way he can prove he's ready is to play, and he's only going to play in the AHL. Now maybe that number isn't 50-60 games like AV suggested, maybe it's 20-30.

I'm sure Sam both wants to play and to do it in the NHL.

Beyond that he almost has to be fine with anything as long as it helps him to resume his career. Being up and waiting for an injury to play and prove himself or going down and proving himself. Even being claimed by another team and proving himself. Really none of those are bad options for him.

How often does a team go through the season with no injuries to defensemen? Opportunities should be there if he can stay healthy. Maybe against a more physical opponent they would want to dress him.

We don't know though what the roster situation will be and if expended rosters will be a thing for the reg season. That could change the situation for some of the 'black ace' types and they may end up with the team as cheap depth. Teams simply wont be able to afford a bunch of vets as depth in an expanded roster scenario. That may impact where Sam ends up and maybe they find they prefer him up to start with to some of the younger options who maybe have a little more upside at this point.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
This Kobe Mohr suit is very interesting. It would be a long shot but what could eventually happen would be a MLB type situation where The CHL serves as a double A system for young prospects, and a feeder pool for the ahl. Teams would compete to sign players which would boost salary and benefits and could entice those who go the college route. If you are a 4th line chl scrub with no shot at playing professionally life is terrible. I don't know why anyone would choose that route.

If you play in the CHL you are treated like a living god by woman 16-20 in Canada. So that probably has something to do with it. Plus it does result in money towards university education in Canada and the possibility of getting scholarships to Canadian universities as well.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If you play in the CHL you are treated like a living god by woman 16-20 in Canada. So that probably has something to do with it. Plus it does result in money towards university education in Canada and the possibility of getting scholarships to Canadian universities as well.

right but not being able to collectively bargain while being professional is a problem.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Fletcher's talk about needing more defensive depth basically spells that out. If they trade Ghost and lose Braun, they won't want to lose 3 defensemen, especially when one is an RFA and only needs a qualifying offer of $1.3 mil. They might not even want to lose 2. Of course that's about $1.3 mil than I'd like to spend on Hagg, but that's also the floor. It's possible they go multiple seasons; it's possible it's closer to $2 mil in AAV. With the opportunity cost of not getting a pick back......it would be less than ideal. He's more than replaceable -- improvable -- let alone at that cap hit.

How they handle Friedman ($725k), Ghost, Hagg, a potential UFA will be illuminating. Because there are options. Perhaps Occam's razor is that they view Hagg as good.

I don't know why you used the word "perhaps," you weirdo. And I think you are about two years early discussing Friedman's options. That would be like me thinking about the fried egg I am going to eat tonight when I see Rapier hop on one of his ladies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You've lost me. Are you saying college kids should be able to collectively bargain or CHL players.

I was just stating some reasons why depth players go play their two years in the CHL haha.

the suit is about CHL player compensation not college players. College players could complicate the system but again it could be modeled after baseball.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
the suit is about CHL player compensation not college players. College players could complicate the system but again it could be modeled after baseball.

Yeah I just managed to track the article down.

I hadn't heard about what was happening. My comment was just stating some reasons borderline kids choose to play CHL vs college. Some of the Junior A/CHL in between players aren't good enough to get full rides to the states anyways.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah I just managed to track the article down.

I hadn't heard about what was happening. My comment was just stating some reasons borderline kids choose to play CHL vs college. Some of the Junior A/CHL in between players aren't good enough to get full rides to the states anyways.

right so then it makes sense to play and get a canadian college scholarship

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Honestly there's a whole lot that could be done to improve quality of living for young players. Something like every drafted player is awarded a 100k scholarship. So hockey now school if it doesn't work out. Guaranteeing higher minimums in the ahl or echl. It's the old bobby clark thing about making better money at the mine twenty minutes from home. Star players have life changing contracts and a solid pro career will set you up for life but most guys don't get there and aside from a cool story to tell pretty much start Thier lives a little behind. One of the key bargaining positions I would want in a chl agreement is a man at the table for the next nhl transfer agreement. The ability to talk to the real bosses because the nhlpa obviously has other priorities

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
right so then it makes sense to play and get a canadian college scholarship

Yes. You made some comment along the lines of you couldn't imagine a worse path to take then be a bottom of the lineup guy in the CHL. Or why anybody would choose to go that route. And I just stated a few reasons why I think some fringe kids would.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yes. You made some comment along the lines of you couldn't imagine a worse path to take then be a bottom of the lineup guy in the CHL. Or why anybody would choose to go that route. And I just stated a few reasons why I think some fringe kids would.

but there are probably safer outlets to receiving school funding such as serving in the Canadian armed forces. I mean that must be a pretty sweet gig.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
but there are probably safer outlets to receiving school funding such as serving in the Canadian armed forces. I mean that must be a pretty sweet gig.
That's mean. Plus there are still accidents and stuff with all that old underfunded equipment.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Unless the US or the Proud Boys invade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad