News: Phaneuf says teams have reached out after buyout

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
What Phaneuf left out was that these teams were merely inquiring on whether he'd be open to being hired in an off ice capacity. Namely locker room DJ. The young guns shouldn't have to handle the pressure of choosing between genres so let the veteran come in and handle those responsibilities.

Smart.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Maybe I’ve forgotten about his days in Calgary, but I kinda want him back just for the lols at an#7 dman. I think he’s still better than dalton prout, and I don’t see why he would have an issue coming home to Alberta. I’m gonna get crucified for this, but whatever.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I could see some team giving him a 1 year deal for like ~$2M to be a #6/7 vet mentor and depth insurance piece

His days of being a meaningful NHLer ended many years ago, but I can picture some GMs thinking he could be a spark in the dressing room and a good voice for the younger players to listen to

One of the most forward thinking teams in the league gave Jack Johnson 3.25 years x 5 after coming off being a regular healthy scratch.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Jets giving away Trouba and now Myers is walking. Dion would be a welcomed addition to the the "peg". I'd argue Wheels gives up the "C" to disco. Maybe laine would smarten up as well.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Hope they are in the Pacific, it would help us get points... Joe Thornton can skate circles around this guy. Phaneuf is beyond done. Easily the worst player on the team and that's saying something for the season LA put up...

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Maybe I’ve forgotten about his days in Calgary, but I kinda want him back just for the lols at an#7 dman. I think he’s still better than dalton prout, and I don’t see why he would have an issue coming home to Alberta. I’m gonna get crucified for this, but whatever.
I think it's unlikely as he was already driven out once for personality issues. I do remember when he was being groomed to be the next franchise player, and then the extreme shock of the lousy return full of "depth" pieces. In the end Calgary for an awful return, but it ended to being a bad deal for every team that touched him.

This would be right up there with acquiring Bertuzzi as most shocking Flames pickups.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I’ve been thinking I can see him returning to Ottawa on a one-year deal to play on the bottom pairing and help mentor all the young players on the team. It’d be a cheap signing. I could see it just costing $1 million or less for the year.

Anaheim is another team that I could just see giving him a shot. They seem to give players like this a chance, as they did with Luke Schenn recently. Just somewhere I could picture him playing. He’d be able to stay in California.

Reactions: gab6511 and Sureves

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Sens should but won't sign him. He's a fantastic leader and role model for our young players and we ain't winning anything anyway for the time being so who cares if he's not good anymore? Ceci was never good and he's on the team.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Sens should but won't sign him. He's a fantastic leader and role model for our young players and we ain't winning anything anyway for the time being so who cares if he's not good anymore? Ceci was never good and he's on the team.

By all accounts he was well-liked and enjoyed his time in Ottawa. Makes sense to me but I can see Ottawa wanting to let the kids play. Jaros, Harpur, Brannstrom and others will get significant playing time and they may not be interested in giving that ice time to another vet.

Reactions: Sureves

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets giving away Trouba and now Myers is walking. Dion would be a welcomed addition to the the "peg". I'd argue Wheels gives up the "C" to disco. Maybe laine would smarten up as well.
He'd be a good fit for the Jets. Cheap. Also we have a good film industry and a low kidnapping rate.

Reactions: dukeofjive

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Dion is claiming that he's ready to 'bounce back' after just one bad season in L.A......he must be shutting his eyes to all those 'highlights' in Ottawa.

But d-men are in such short supply, somebody will roll the dice on him.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Truthfully he is one of the slowest players in the league. When he first joined the Kings and he was playing meaningful minutes he seemed to care more, but if I had to guess, he was one of the “entitled” players that the Kings’ management has been talking about.

With that said, I think a fresh start and a renewed sense of purpose can rejuvenate anyone. I hope he gets another chance and I hope he does well. Perhaps, with a much smaller cap hit, he can play above his value instead of below it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad