News: Phaneuf says teams have reached out after buyout

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Dion Phaneuf is confident he can help a team looking to win the Stanley Cup, and the feeling may be mutual.
The 34-year-old defenseman, who had the final two seasons of his contract bought out by the Los Angeles Kings on June 15 to become an unrestricted free agent, told Sportsnet on Friday he has garnered some interest.
"A couple teams have already reached out, which is nice," said Phaneuf, who is a free agent for the first time in his NHL career. "It's not stressful. I'm excited for another opportunity."
He said he's also out to prove his NHL career-low six points (one goal, five assists) and NHL career-worst minus-21 in 67 games for the Kings last season was a fluke.
"One bad year is not going to define me," he said. "I know I've got lots of hockey left."

Phaneuf says teams have reached out after buyout: report

Which contenders could be looking to add Phaneuf?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I could see some team giving him a 1 year deal for like ~$2M to be a #6/7 vet mentor and depth insurance piece

His days of being a meaningful NHLer ended many years ago, but I can picture some GMs thinking he could be a spark in the dressing room and a good voice for the younger players to listen to

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How is his foot speed at this point of his career? I feel like I haven't watched a complete game of his(while pay attn to him) for a couple years.

Bad. One of the slower defenseman in the game at this point. Watching him pivot to go from skating backwards to forwards such as on a dump in, is like watching a tractor trailer U-turn. It's painful to watch.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
2c9UycK.png

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
On a 1 year deal for under a million a few teams will have interest to sign him for a year as a #6 d man. If it doesn't work out no loss and he becomes the #7 D

Reactions: GordonGraham

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Does he still really want to play? I could see Vancouver, Carolina, Arizona or guys with young teams taking a run and giving him a year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad