Phaneuf or Kessel

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
And that has helped the Leafs how exactly?

P.S: He's a -47 over that time as well. Not all about points and goals. Gotta be able to keep the puck out of your net too.

this gets way underlooked when were talking about kessel.

he puts up a ppg but gets scored on twice a game, idk if thats helps us in the long run ;)

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
People need to stop equating Rick Nash and Phil Kessel. Only one of those two players is a regular top NHL scorer. Rick Nash has never had an 80 point season and has hit 70 only once in his career.

enough already.

Jacques Trap*

How lopsided exactly does a poll have to get before it's shut down?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Phaneuf has got to go. This is how we change the culture. It all starts with the leadership group here. Bring in players who know the actual meaning of leadership and watch our team benefit from it. :nod:

Jacques Trap*

People need to stop equating Rick Nash and Phil Kessel. Only one of those two players is a regular top NHL scorer. Rick Nash has never had an 80 point season and has hit 70 only once in his career.

enough already.

But Nash is big...and he scores a highlight reel type goal every once in a while :sarcasm:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
this gets way underlooked when were talking about kessel.

he puts up a ppg but gets scored on twice a game, idk if thats helps us in the long run ;)

Just to laugh at the poor individual data plus minus gives, Jeff Carter put up a -11 in half a season with Columbus and has been a plus player since coming to LA

That stud Corey Perry has been a + player every year but somehow in Carlyles last year he was a -7, guess he decided to be defensively irresponsible for 80 games

Individual defense is such a small part of the picture, especially when you are on a team who up until recently had below nhl level quality goaltending and still lack an nhl quality defense corps and system

Ace88*

Pooleboy, those are the two worst scouting reports i've seen recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'm sorry 2nd in points over the last half decade doesn't live up to your lofty standards.

that has a lot to do with his durability because he avoids the dirty area's a lot of the other top players go to and end up missing time because of it. Taylor Hall has a better PPG ratio's in each of the last 2 season's for example I probably wouldn't put Kessel in the top 10 offensive players right now.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
that has a lot to do with his durability because he avoids the dirty area's a lot of the other top players go to and end up missing time because of it. Taylor Hall has a better PPG ratio's in each of the last 2 season's for example I probably wouldn't put Kessel in the top 10 offensive players right now.

Then does that mean you are happy with Lupul's production?

summerstorm

Dec 5, 2011
And that has helped the Leafs how exactly?

P.S: He's a -47 over that time as well. Not all about points and goals. Gotta be able to keep the puck out of your net too.

hard to play wing and d and goalie...give it up!!!!

how about the scorers play their game, the d figure their stuff out(coach is dysfunctional with his team)...then the d will support the goalie, and maybe we have a winner???

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd keep Kessel but Ideally I would trade both for the right package. These 2 aren't the corner pieces that will win you a championship.

You need to bold or highlight the "right package" because no way in hell are we trading him for something mediocre/average. Kessel goes when the package is too good to pass up. We are not settling for anything like we probably would do with Phaneuf.

We've got a top 10 offensive player in the league at our disposal. Mess that up and you'd find your head on a mantle beside the other Maple leaf GMs that made embarassing facepalm worthy deals that have tragically set this organization back almost a decade.

Main point: We don't settle

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Please keep in mind the fact that Kessel did not trade himself, it was Burke. A lot of people have anti-Kessel bias cause the trade, but he didn't make the deal. I see the poll is going in the right direction anyways.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In this purely hypothetical scenario, I think I keep Kessel over Phaneuf.

However, if we're tanking we do it right and move Kessel, Phaneuf, and Lupul. Not that they are old or anything, but they are the core and if you're rebuilding the core I don't want them to do it half assed.

If were tanking ??

Have you seen the Leafs final standing results with Kessel, Phaneuf, and Lupul as in picking in the bottom 10 overall?. What is the difference between picking 5th or 8th in the draft and real tanking? ;)

If you traded them there would be fear of improvement and weaker draft positions. :sarcasm:

Defense is more important than offense in today's NHL. Much harder to replace a top pairing defender then a 1-way winger. If I had to pick one to keep it would be Phaneuf for that reason.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Kessel Ofcourse, he provides excitement when he gets the puck. Everyone stops talking when Kessel has the puck on his stick.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You need to bold or highlight the "right package" because no way in hell are we trading him for something mediocre/average. Kessel goes when the package is too good to pass up. We are not settling for anything like we probably would do with Phaneuf.

We've got a top 10 offensive player in the league at our disposal. Mess that up and you'd find your head on a mantle beside the other Maple leaf GMs that made embarassing facepalm worthy deals that have tragically set this organization back almost a decade.

Main point: We don't settle

Keeping Kessel and Phaneuf IS settling.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Columbus replaced their 30-goal scorer with scraps from NYR, and look at them now. It ain't all about goals.

Nash is not as good as Kessel at all, other than the fact that he hits.

and Columbus is better because Johansen broke out and replaced Nash's production, he also happens to be a centre. They still look like a very mediocre team though, just with a decent amount of depth. Who on columbus looks that good outside of johansen?

Plus it's not black and white either, why not have a two-way strong centre and a top scoring soft winger(i.e Chicago toews-kane) instead of one or the other?

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
The difference between Phaneuf and Kessel:

.Kessel has proven he can score when it matters, PPG in the playoffs, many of you have short-term memory loss, but he looked great against boston in the playoffs last season.

Phaneuf has shown he can collapse a bit in pressure situations, sometimes he's good, other times he's horrible.

2.Kessel is a top 10 offensive producing winger in the game, this is very hard to find unless you usually have a top 5 pick in a good draft. Although admitedly, getting a guy like vanek to replace him wouldn't be a big downgrade, but the trade package to move Kessel would have to be great.

Phaneuf is a top 20-30 d-man in the league, he's not very mobile, but good positionally and strong offensively(he had an off-year this year off.), he too will be hard to replace, admitedly probably harder than replacing kessel.

both are hard to replace, but Phaneuf is not the guy to be your #1 D-man, while Kessel has shown he can be the go to guy on offense.

I dont think either has to be traded to win, but I wouldnt get mad if one does, preferably Phaneuf for a culture change.

Mar 26, 2010
Kessel AINEC!!!!!!!!!!

Phaneuf is ****ing garbage! He is a # 4 D man. Absolutely junk! He is not even worth 3M/season.

member 147413

Columbus traded a Nash who only put up 59 points in his final full season, and who was going to refuse to re-sign long term.

Anisimov, Dubinsky and Erixon are all easily replaceable pieces that could be had in FA.

Cbj would undoubtedly be better off with Nash in the lineup right now.

Dubi really isn't... You don't get heart and talent like that from FA without overpaying... Severely...

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Then does that mean you are happy with Lupul's production?

not happy with his durability but 44 points including 22 goals in 69 games is good for Lupul. that's what he's produced as an average over his career expecting more is unrealistic imo. other then the 1 year he's played at or around that 50ish point pace. the other parts of his game need work tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad