Phaneuf or Kessel

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Hypothetically speaking, as i have been advocating for a tank, i am just wondering who Leaf fans would prefer to keep Phaneuf or Kessel?

Kessel:
8 million dollar 1 dimensional player, he is a ppg and a elite winger in the NHL. He doesn't go into the dirty areas (what it takes to win), but his speed on the rush and his snap shot are top 5 in the league.

Phaneuf:
7 million dollar bonehead player. He is a top pairing dman who could potentiall look good with Gardiner/Rielly beside him in years. Phaneuf constantly gets beat to pucks in the corner, where he seems more interested in making a bump and allowing the other player to take the puck and get a good scoring chance. He doesn't make big hits, and he isn't a preimier PMD. I dont want him to keep the captaincy, so for the sake of this poll lets assume it is socially acceptable to strip the C from him without a bat of an eye.( if u want him to keep it w/e doesn't matter)

Now, Kessel with Bozak and JVR was one of the most dangerous lines in the league when they were hot, the problem is they get hot and cold and have a lot of consistency issues.

Phaneuf has bonehead moves but having a big hitter on D is what everyone wants to shake fear in opposing players.

Who would you keep?

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'd keep Kessel but Ideally I would trade both for the right package. These 2 aren't the corner pieces that will win you a championship.

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
For sure I'd rather keep Kessel. Better player by far. We have Reilly and Gardiner, both of whom will be ready to take over the #1 D role in a few years. While neither of them play like Phaneuf, they should be able to find a guy who can play the PK and shut down the opposition. Hard to find, but not as hard as a winger like Kessel. Kessel was playing at an MVP pace for much of the year, you can't just throw that away.

I'm as much an advocate for Phaneuf as anyone, but of the two it would have to be Kessel. IMO both would bring back a similar package.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I voted to keep Kessel because of how can you replace 30 + goal seasons he keeps putting up.

However part of me also thinks for the games when Phaneuf looked horrible, I think their Defenese in general will look a lot worse with him not on the team.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
no? easier to replace a goal scoring winger than a hard hitting defenceman.

imo Phaneuf is more important to this team but kessel is definitly the better playrer

Which would explain why you want to keep Kessel.

Luckily, they are 2 important players locked up long term that we don't have to get rid of.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Don't know why people don't think Kessel is a championship calibre piece. Guy will be a 36 goal scorer for the next 5 years.

No he's not a franchise C or stud dman, but after you've got those, an elite scorer is also on that list.

Go back and watch Blackhawks playoff games over the last 5 years and tell me having a winger who can break the game open at any minute isn't valuable.

Kessel and Pat Kane are on the same level defensively imo

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Having Kessel on your top line will always be a good idea.

Having Dion at 7 million is questionable.

Therefor, Kessel.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Don't know why people don't think Kessel is a championship calibre piece. Guy will be a 40 goal scorer for the next 5 years.

No he's not a franchise C or stud dman, but after you've got those, an elite scorer is also on that list.

Go back and watch Blackhawks playoff games over the last 5 years and tell me having a winger who can break the game open at any minute isn't valuable.

The 40 goal scorer who has never scored 40 goals.....

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
In this purely hypothetical scenario, I think I keep Kessel over Phaneuf.

However, if we're tanking we do it right and move Kessel, Phaneuf, and Lupul. Not that they are old or anything, but they are the core and if you're rebuilding the core I don't want them to do it half assed.

Meanwhile, back in reality (probably), I'm pretty sure Shanahan won't give the tank order just yet, so we'll likely not move any of them (well, maybe Lupul).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Love the "well if you want to keep him it doesn't matter" in Phaneifs description :laugh:

We can't get rid of either.

As for this "poll" it isn't needed. You know everyone would take Kessel over Phaneuf. Come on now.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Columbus replaced their 30-goal scorer with scraps from NYR, and look at them now. It ain't all about goals.

Columbus traded a Nash who only put up 59 points in his final full season, and who was going to refuse to re-sign long term.

Anisimov, Dubinsky and Erixon are all easily replaceable pieces that could be had in FA.

Cbj would undoubtedly be better off with Nash in the lineup right now.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'm sorry 2nd in points over the last half decade doesn't live up to your lofty standards.

And that has helped the Leafs how exactly?

P.S: He's a -47 over that time as well. Not all about points and goals. Gotta be able to keep the puck out of your net too.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Don't know why people don't think Kessel is a championship calibre piece. Guy will be a 40 goal scorer for the next 5 years.

I've been reading the bolded part since kessel was traded to the leafs and it's yet to come true.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
And that has helped the Leafs how exactly?

P.S: He's a -47 over that time as well. Not all about points and goals. Gotta be able to keep the puck out of your net too.

Definitely, which is why he is a piece, but not THE piece. Hockey is a team game, and last time I checked there isn't one that has 22 complete players.

And if were gonna look at the truly meaningless +/- stat, the last four years he's steadily improved -20,-10,-3(48 games), -4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad