Sportsnet: Phaneuf: I was too emotional to talk to the media

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Dan Byslma the smartest coach? Ask pens fans about that one...

How smart are you to have two of the best players in hockey, 2 good wingers, 3 good dmen and a decent goaltender and have even the **** teams want to face you in the playoffs?

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
it's weird to feel bad for a guy that gets 4 months off in the summer. has made millions and is gonna get paid millions more with job security for the next 7 years... and has a hot wife.

but i feel bad for dion.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
it's weird to feel bad for a guy that gets 4 months off in the summer. has made millions and is gonna get paid millions more with job security for the next 7 years... and has a hot wife.

but i feel bad for dion.

When you look at it that way, he'll be just fine.

FosterHewitt

He Shoots He Scores!
Jan 18, 2014
Gondola
Some are too soft on him and even more fans are too hard on him. In a way I almost do feel sorry for him because he peaked very early in his career. He was one of the rare ones that peaked too early and now we see what he is, a good but never great player.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Backes did not really help his game the other night. Dion crumbled and backed down. Dion can or could fight but it is if he is afraid to get hurt or something. I dont expect him to go up against 4th liners and sit for 5 minutes but trading captain for captain could be worth it, especially when your team struggle and need to get fired up.

He was pulled away by Oshie.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Some are too soft on him and even more fans are too hard on him. In a way I almost do feel sorry for him because he peaked very early in his career. He was one of the rare ones that peaked too early and now we see what he is, a good but never great player.

This is it in a nutshell. When I watch a guy like Suter, or Doughty, they control the game. Obviously they are better dmen, but the level of play they consistently bring is what you expect from a #1 guy. Phaneuf, even when he was younger was never that good. Now, the play comes to him and his lack of good decision making is fairly evident. It's like between his first 3 years and his last 3 years there was no learning going on, and it's like people who watch him still believe he's even as good as he was then. It's night and day for me. If he played even a modicum the way he used to no one is even bringing him up in these posts because while there are still mistakes being made, he's dragging this team forward, and not down.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

rbmnoh.jpg

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
How smart are you to have two of the best players in hockey, 2 good wingers, 3 good dmen and a decent goaltender and have even the **** teams want to face you in the playoffs?

There have been a few times where the penguins have been without a lot of those pieces you mentioned and the team kept humming along. He also handled goaltending controversies better then Vancouver did. He deserves a little credit.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kessel telling Dion to shut up is nothing.

They are on a 7 game losing streak and have fallen out of the playoffs. No one in that room is sunshine and lollipops with each other.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
"Hey Philly, maybe take a hit to make the play you *****."

"Shut you're ****ing moth."

I honestly doubt that's what he said, but that is quite the weary glare he's shooting Dion while he's talking to him.

Ace88*

Kessel telling Dion to shut up is nothing.

They are on a 7 game losing streak and have fallen out of the playoffs. No one in that room is sunshine and lollipops with each other.

Your fault

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
There have been a few times where the penguins have been without a lot of those pieces you mentioned and the team kept humming along. He also handled goaltending controversies better then Vancouver did. He deserves a little credit.

He deserves credit for doing enough with that team to keep his job I suppose. Can you imagine any other business being run that, after you fire an employee for sucking at their job, you reach into a hat full of other employees who've also been fired for sucking and hire them? Think about that for a minute. We fired Wilson for sucking. We reached into a hat and hired another coach that was fired for sucking. He came here and initially sucked. They made the playoffs in a shortened season and he got a 3 year extension, and now he sucks even worse than the other guy who sucked. We got rid of a player who sucked and hired another player who sucked. There's a pattern of suckness that extends 40 years and continues to this day.

I reached for a lot of that ;)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
He have really stepped up lately being -9 during our losing streak. And since his "break down" when he promised to bounce back seeing as his play of late was uncharacteristic of him, he have been -5 in 2 games, and directly responsible for a lot of those goals against. Gunnarsson who used to be paired with him is for comparison -1 during this stretch and as far as I can recall have not made any real blunders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad