Sportsnet: Phaneuf: I was too emotional to talk to the media

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I respect him for calling in and taking responsibility.

My only advice to Phaneuf is that, when the going gets rough, that's exactly when he needs to step up and face the music.

But he has typically done that, so it's OK. Just play well.

Disgruntled Observer*

You know...
I typically use this forum as a platform to vent my hate and vitriol as a coping mechanism for the disgraceful team I'm a fan of...
so it pains me to write something positive...

but I think leaf fans are too hard on Phaneuf.
I'm not exactly a 'fan' of his, but i'm not a critic either.
I think he's a decent captain and usually a pretty good defenseman (albeit overpaid).

But my god... he's been very vocal with media his entire time with the leafs. I have no problem with him taking an night off from the media after a terrible game.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
all this is taking away from what he did on the ice. biggest game of the year, and he played the worst game I have ever seen by a #1 dman. I backed him up for a long time, but if he can't step up when it matters, then we paid the wrong guy.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
By doing what every Leaf captain has done before him, not to mention what every current captain is doing now? C'mon, even if you took the job today, you'd know there were a few media responsibilities.

Because being the captain in a place like Phoenix would be the exact same as one in Toronto?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Because being the captain in a place like Phoenix would be the exact same as one in Toronto?

Is that what I said? You wouldn't know there is a slight difference there? Are you saying Phaneuf, and every captain before him, had no idea what he was getting into?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
all this is taking away from what he did on the ice. biggest game of the year, and he played the worst game I have ever seen by a #1 dman. I backed him up for a long time, but if he can't step up when it matters, then we paid the wrong guy.

You're absolutely right. Media aside, Dion had a crappy game, time to pick it up or we'll miss the playoffs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm hoping Nonis can trade Dion prior to his NTC kicking in, probably best for all parties involved as long as fair value comes back, this might have been plan B when Nonis signed him, better than losing him for nothing?

TheThrill81*

The game vs St. Louis was the biggest one of the year? Since when? And if that was the worst game you've ever seen by a #1 dman, then I question how much hockey you've watched in your lifetime.

TheThrill81*

You know...
I typically use this forum as a platform to vent my hate and vitriol as a coping mechanism for the disgraceful team I'm a fan of...
so it pains me to write something positive...

but I think leaf fans are too hard on Phaneuf.
I'm not exactly a 'fan' of his, but i'm not a critic either.
I think he's a decent captain and usually a pretty good defenseman (albeit overpaid).

But my god... he's been very vocal with media his entire time with the leafs. I have no problem with him taking an night off from the media after a terrible game.

At least you admit it, unlike a lot of people on here.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Nice hot sports take.

So you're mad he didn't say words to the media to represent his teammates better. But then you also say that "words are cheap". Got it.

It's not really a complex thought. Being the team spokesman and leading on the ice are not contradictory, but one is definitely harder to pull off than the other for a good Captain. He may have messed up on one (the easier one) but I'm (as a Leaf fan) calling on him to not mess up on the other (the hard one) this weekend.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
I think it makes a difference for the Captain to stand up for his teammates who are taking the post-game heat on his behalf. Clearly, Phaneuf on reflection or on orders/advice from the Leafs/his agents thinks so also or else he would not have gone on the various media a day later to try to calm the waters. I realize that it would have been difficult for him to face the media after the game he just played...but then not all aspects of leadership are or should be easy.

Bro Where have you been for his 4 year tenure? He usually takes the blame after losses, so the ONE time he doesnt its an issue? I dont understand the logic

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
You know, I'm surprised Cox hasn't come out with a bash article against him. After all, he did just that when Kessel bailed on media before game 1 of the playoffs last season. Then again, he has always had a vendetta against Kessel, so...

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Bro Where have you been for his 4 year tenure? He usually takes the blame after losses, so the ONE time he doesnt its an issue? I dont understand the logic

I don't want to dwell on this any more than you, but this particular time is clearly an issue in Phaneuf's mind. I've never heard more radio clips from him than after he went proactively to the media this time to explain why he went AWOL after the game. Does he seek out interviews like this normally?...I don't recall much if any other time in his tenure.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
You know, I'm surprised Cox hasn't come out with a bash article against him. After all, he did just that when Kessel bailed on media before game 1 of the playoffs last season. Then again, he has always had a vendetta against Kessel, so...

He actually already did a segment on SNETs with Hazel May the following day. He didnt give a ***** apparently since Dion was almost always available to speak to the media before yesterday. And I agree, people in the media are making too big of a deal out of this.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
This Leafs board has become more and more hopeless. The condescending, passive aggressive tone by many posters with regards to this recent Dion/No Media Comment is almost the icing on the cake. The thing is GUYS -> Dion did FACE the media, be it 12 hours later, but he still has the character and the heart to actually take the time to explain the entire situation. That's actually a really good captain trait.

Half the time people speak on here with absolutely never having been in the same situation, and the ill advised bouts of self-righteousness is so gross.

Lastly, blaming Dion for all of the Leafs problems makes you no different from idiot Canuck fans who use to blame "LUUUUU" for all of the team's problems. Dion is one of the Maple Leafs top 3 players. Jumping up and down on him for every team loss makes the overall fan base look like fools and it's honestly embarassing.

Being an emotional poster is fine but please try and use some logic. It's like this board has turned into a bunch of guys in college who just moved away from mom and dad for the first time and haven't quite shaken off their internet trolling days from high school.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
This Leafs board has become more and more hopeless. The condescending, passive aggressive tone by many posters with regards to this recent Dion/No Media Comment is almost the icing on the cake. The thing is GUYS -> Dion did FACE the media, be it 12 hours later, but he still has the character and the heart to actually take the time to explain the entire situation. That's actually a really good captain trait.

Half the time people speak on here with absolutely never having been in the same situation, and the ill advised bouts of self-righteousness is so gross.

Lastly, blaming Dion for all of the Leafs problems makes you no different from idiot Canuck fans who use to blame "LUUUUU" for all of the team's problems. Dion is one of the Maple Leafs top 3 players. Jumping up and down on him for every team loss makes the overall fan base look like fools and it's honestly embarassing.

Being an emotional poster is fine but please try and use some logic. It's like this board has turned into a bunch of guys in college who just moved away from mom and dad for the first time and haven't quite shaken off their internet trolling days from high school.

:laugh: He called in to a radio show. How is that showing up. What´s next? Dion will do interviews from the other side of the locker room door reading from a script?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Is that what I said? You wouldn't know there is a slight difference there? Are you saying Phaneuf, and every captain before him, had no idea what he was getting into?

You were talking about every current captain having to face the media weren't you? If so then there is a major difference between markets.

I'm also not trying to excuse him either, I honestly couldn't care less about the situation and wouldn't have found out about it until tonight if I didn't come here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have a feeling Dion will play well tonight, and a lot of the anger towards him will be off to the side for atleast one night.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I have a feeling Dion will play well tonight, and a lot of the anger towards him will be off to the side for atleast one night.

Test of character for him. If he can't show up after what have happened lately it could spell then end for him as a Maple Leaf. Oh, wait, Nonis got no balls and truly believe Dion is a legit #1 d-man who should be ranked top 5 in the league.

Hartnell will be all over him tonight and I wonder if Dion can respond the right way by sending him to the dressing room to get stitched up. I pretty much doubt that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Test of character for him. If he can't show up after what have happened lately it could spell then end for him as a Maple Leaf. Oh, wait, Nonis got no balls and truly believe Dion is a legit #1 d-man who should be ranked top 5 in the league.

Hartnell will be all over him tonight and I wonder if Dion can respond the right way by sending him to the dressing room to get stitched up. I pretty much doubt that.

How is receiving a 4 minute high-sticking penalty responding the right way? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00