Sportsnet: Phaneuf: I was too emotional to talk to the media

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Test of character for him. If he can't show up after what have happened lately it could spell then end for him as a Maple Leaf. Oh, wait, Nonis got no balls and truly believe Dion is a legit #1 d-man who should be ranked top 5 in the league.

Hartnell will be all over him tonight and I wonder if Dion can respond the right way by sending him to the dressing room to get stitched up. I pretty much doubt that.

Dion and Gunnar will have to be on tonight, they going to be tested.

He needs to play hurt, healthy, it doesn't matter, put in a good physical game. Hartnell will help his game IMO.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Dion and Gunnar will have to be on tonight, they going to be tested.

He needs to play hurt, healthy, it doesn't matter, put in a good physical game. Hartnell will help his game IMO.

Backes did not really help his game the other night. Dion crumbled and backed down. Dion can or could fight but it is if he is afraid to get hurt or something. I dont expect him to go up against 4th liners and sit for 5 minutes but trading captain for captain could be worth it, especially when your team struggle and need to get fired up.

leafsdude

Aug 1, 2010
Red Deer, Alberta
Dion is just clearly not a #1 dman. It's not his fault he's put in the position to be. It doesn't help that his partner isn't even a 3 or 4. Dion was great in Calgary when playing less minutes in an offensive 2nd pairing role. Though it's nearly impossible to get a #1 through trade. I'd obviously love to pry a weber, doughty, Keith somehow and pay a kessel trade price to get one of them.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Dion is just clearly not a #1 dman. It's not his fault he's put in the position to be. It doesn't help that his partner isn't even a 3 or 4. Dion was great in Calgary when playing less minutes in an offensive 2nd pairing role. Though it's nearly impossible to get a #1 through trade. I'd obviously love to pry a weber, doughty, Keith somehow and pay a kessel trade price to get one of them.

He was great in Calgary? Then why where they so desperate to get rid of him? As I remember it the big question regarding Dion at Calgary was wtf happened to him, the guy who looked so great in his rookie year. Thing is, after he lockout Dion was a breath of fresh air and the seeing as there was a PP every other minute a guy with a big slap shot had a chance of making an impact. Once the league adjust to the new rules the PP opportunities got less and Dions offensive out put lessened. At the same time him not being the rookie on the team anymore meant coaches and fans started to demand more of his game and his brain farts become a burden. That is why he was traded, along with him not getting along with the veteran leadership who wanted him to play better D.

Ace88*

You anti-phaneuf kiddies are hilarious. yeah get rid of him then what? Have gunnar or gardiner or god forbid franson to take his minutes? All would get roasted a hundred times worse.

Heres a helpful tip. when evaluating a player, look at more than just his past few weeks' worth of games. people like you are why so many players balk at signing in toronto. theres just no pleasing you, it's damned if he does, damned if he doesnt.

And thats a schtick that indicates a shallow depth of hockey knowledge.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You anti-phaneuf kiddies are hilarious. yeah get rid of him then what? Have gunnar or gardiner or god forbid franson to take his minutes? All would get roasted a hundred times worse.

Heres a helpful tip. when evaluating a player, look at more than just his past few weeks' worth of games. people like you are why so many players balk at signing in toronto. theres just no pleasing you, it's damned if he does, damned if he doesnt.

And thats a schtick that indicates a shallow depth of hockey knowledge.

Ya. If you get rid of Phaneuf you wouldn't get anything in return. Just an empty roster spot.... :help:

He's sucked since he arrived. Last I checked that was more than few weeks ago. He's lead this team to a trifecta of choke.

Not seeing how bad he is for this team shows shallow depth of hockey knowledge. Like do you just ignore the results? Or you're a habs fan and enjoy this team crumbling every single time

Ace88*

Ya. If you get rid of Phaneuf you wouldn't get anything in return. Just an empty roster spot.... :help:

He's sucked since he arrived. Last I checked that was more than few weeks ago. He's lead this team to a trifecta of choke.

Not seeing how bad he is for this team shows shallow depth of hockey knowledge. Like do you just ignore the results? Or you're a habs fan and enjoy this team crumbling every single time

If hes bad as you say then ya we wouldnt get much more than a roster spot would we bud? Get real dude. Comments like "hes sucked since he arrived" remove any shred of credibility you ever had.If he sucked that bad how does he get the number of norris votes he does every season? Guess you know more than actual hockey people in and around the league, right?

kfernandes29

Aug 16, 2005
He is still a freakin' goof. I heard his interview its almost like he had no words to describe the situation...

Kept on repeating "we will come out of it as a team"

Well buddy, it wasn't/isn't "the team" thats completely sucking past few games its "you"

Really? So this collapse was first Reimers fault. Then Bernier comes back and now it's Phaneufs fault?

Some people are absolutely ridiculous.

This is a total team collapse. In every aspect!

DaveT83*

I wonder what the BIG MAN will say / not say after tonights disgusting performance.

Sad when I'm more excited for the post game interviews than I am the games.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Really? So this collapse was first Reimers fault. Then Bernier comes back and now it's Phaneufs fault?

Some people are absolutely ridiculous.

This is a total team collapse. In every aspect!

IMO it's pretty clear, this was a coaching staff collapse. They couldn't teach a basic breakout if their life depended on it. They couldn't instill confidence or hard work if their life depended on it.

It's very clear this team couldn't care less about Carlyle.

I personally would ship Carlyle, Dion, Clarkson and Nonis out for a bag of pucks. The organization needs detox from these leeches.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
IMO it's pretty clear, this was a coaching staff collapse. They couldn't teach a basic breakout if their life depended on it. They couldn't instill confidence or hard work if their life depended on it.

It's very clear this team couldn't care less about Carlyle.

I personally would ship Carlyle, Dion, Clarkson and Nonis out for a bag of pucks. The organization needs detox from these leeches.

This. Dion needs to go but this season can be put on Randy. The decisions he had made down this stretch have been mind numbing. Not calling a time out in game 7 was a fireable offense imo. So this really shouldn't be a big suprise

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If hes bad as you say then ya we wouldnt get much more than a roster spot would we bud? Get real dude. Comments like "hes sucked since he arrived" remove any shred of credibility you ever had.If he sucked that bad how does he get the number of norris votes he does every season? Guess you know more than actual hockey people in and around the league, right?

Dude.....

He has. It's been nothing but pain and failure. I get no joy from this. He needs to go for the sake of the team and my mental health

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Phaneuf sucks. I don't give a crap what bush league reporters vote for.

It's like peoples' whole grasp on the game of hockey revolves around how the Leafs play...

And everyone knows how bad that is (except for "big time" Leafs fans).

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9...ly-realignment-peds-goalie-pads-espn-magazine

http://thehockeywriters.com/thw-panel-the-top-10-most-overrated-nhl-players/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mu...hl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad