Sportsnet: Phaneuf: I was too emotional to talk to the media

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Phaneuf calls into Sportsnet and discussed why he didn't talk to the media.

Source:

“To be completely honest with you, I was emotional about the game,” Phaneuf told Tim & Sid on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. “I didn’t want to let my emotions get the best of me. I feel bad about not being available. At that point in time, I was disappointed in the way that I played and I was emotional after the game. That’s why I did not talk.”

He goes on to talk about Randy Carlyle, the playoff race, shots on goal and more...

What are your thoughts?

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Phaneuf calls into Sportsnet and discussed why he didn't talk to the media.

Source:

He goes on to talk about Randy Carlyle, the playoff race, shots on goal and more...

What are your thoughts?

During his time here, he's always been there to speak. I can believe he was pissed and didn't want to speak. If it doesn't become a habit that is ok with me.
Good for him to address it today instead of avoiding the situation

mikebel111*

He has made errors
But atleast he admits them. That u cant take away from him.
Yet i expect some posters still rip him for telling the truth

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I don't see how this is a story. I'm sure many of us have played hockey before, haven't you ever been so pissed you can barely talk without exploding with anger? I don't blame him one bit. He went home, composed himself, and now explained what happened the next day. Good for him.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't see how this is a story. I'm sure many of us have played hockey before, haven't you ever been so pissed you can barely talk without exploding with anger? I don't blame him one bit. He went home, composed himself, and now explained what happened the next day. Good for him.

I didn't solely post this thread because of why he didn't talk to the media. It was more so his entire interview of the playoff race, his teams faith in Carlyle, goaltending, shots, etc...

More in-depth than typical "We need to find a way" post-game comments.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
He's been garbage(along with many others) during the most important time of the season. There's no excuses, at some point he and the team just has to get it done.

There's definitely something wrong with this core of players though for them to be steaming towards a 3rd collapse of epic proportions

leafstilldeath*

He is still a freakin' goof. I heard his interview its almost like he had no words to describe the situation...

Kept on repeating "we will come out of it as a team"

Well buddy, it wasn't/isn't "the team" thats completely sucking past few games its "you"

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto

To be fair, none of us earn 7M a year to play hockey either. It was a poor decision on his part, especially as captain, but he did handle the fallout rather well.

It honestly doesn't mean much (like you said), but it is still a short-sighted impulsive decision on his part that can and will be used against him by some.

Snacks Kassian

Mar 21, 2014
Vancouver
It would have been way harder to get in front of the media last year after his bone head pinch that cost a game and after game 7. He gets a pass for last night.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If he's too emotional to talk to the press then one has to assume he can't control his emotions on the ice. Which explains a lot

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have no issue with it.

I have had games where I talk to no one after, and just go home and not talk about it.

I have also had games where I exploded and said things I shouldn't have.

Good for him for taking the night, and the calling into Sportsnet to explain himself and talk.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He has made errors
But atleast he admits them. That u cant take away from him.
Yet i expect some posters still rip him for telling the truth

Apology accepted. I'm sure every poster on this board has been emotional about the state of the team and said something they wished they hadn't.
This team needed a closed door meeting and slap more than a Phaneuf interview after the game.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
He is still a freakin' goof. I heard his interview its almost like he had no words to describe the situation...

Kept on repeating "we will come out of it as a team"

Well buddy, it wasn't/isn't "the team" thats completely sucking past few games its "you"

Yep, the rest of the team has been amazing! It's been Phaneuf that's single handily cost us the games! Not Reimer, team defense, lack of scoring at times, bad discipline, bad/weird calls, coaching, lack of physicality, or lack of cycling.... It's definitely Phaneuf! :help:

Phaneuf hasn't been good, but we take him out and I doubt we win any of the last 6 games.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If he's too emotional to talk to the press then one has to assume he can't control his emotions on the ice. Which explains a lot

Why does one have to assume that and what does it explain ?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
in all honesty -even though he's getting flack for it - It makes sense.
better for him to take the day to calm down - than to go in front of the media and explode.

he sucked. we know he sucked, the media knows he sucked, randy knows he sucked, and he knows he sucked. [and while yes, Sundin never not spoke to the media.... I don't ever remember Sundin ever having a game like that either]. if he came out and just lost it, we'd be talking about how he lost it.

When i get really angry - rule of thumb is always don't talk to me. because I'd lose it. [then i'd cry and then it's just really ugly].

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
That's fine Dion, just put it behind you and concentrate on the crucial back-to-back we got coming up.

Get your ****ing focus going, or else Claude Giroux is gonna embarrass you next. And we already know Nyquist got the best of you the last time.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I just wish they could channel some of the frustration they apparently are feeling into showing up in the first period of games.

Personally don't care much if he skipped a post-game interview, since with the way they are playing I don't care to listen to the interviews :laugh:. Still Phaneuf needs to start being part of the solution with this group not another one of the problems.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It shows lack of character and that he's easily flustered. Ring a bell?

or like all of us, he was pissed off.

He was pissed off at the team, and himself for his play, he knows he played bad last night.

He didn't feel like talking to a bunch of reporters.

I give 0 ****s if any of our players talk to the media.

Mr Scarface*

This is just ****in pitiful to me. Great captains with the letter C always, ALWAYS give out something bad, good or great after the game is over. They tell it like it is and don't FLEE away. They don't run away. This is really pitiful to me. I can't stand to see the leafs having a wrong type of captain..... don't like Phaneuf's character at all. He has made weird moves all along during his time with the great maple leafs. There should be a strip off during summer. Clearly there should be doings like that.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
There's nothing that I enjoy more than a few bottled-up cliches after a tough loss. These player interviews are one of my main pleasures in life and I felt deprived yesterday. Damn you, Phaneuf.
And if there's any group of people that deserves to be pandered to, it's the Toronto sports media. This was a tragic, regrettable situation all around. Next time, please... think of the children.

leafstilldeath*

Yep, the rest of the team has been amazing! It's been Phaneuf that's single handily cost us the games! Not Reimer, team defense, lack of scoring at times, bad discipline, bad/weird calls, coaching, lack of physicality, or lack of cycling.... It's definitely Phaneuf! :help:

Phaneuf hasn't been good, but we take him out and I doubt we win any of the last 6 games.

Can you seriously tell me that if Phaneuf doesn't mess last game (-3) defensively or even makes a proper play in the dying mins of the game (hopefully) to tie the game we still would have lost?

Not saying that we didn't deserve to lose as we played like crap but sometimes you need to win games like this to feel better about yourself and gain a little confidence to play better in future. Its not just hockey its any sport

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Do you think Reimer wanted to talk with the press after those 5 games he played?

You have to lead by example. And the team is most definately following his lead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad