TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I dunno why everyone wants to give up massive deals for a top-line forward when we can instead offersheet Leon Draisaitl, which would give up around the same amount of assets (in terms of value), but instead get a much younger 1st line center that we can keep for the next 10 years.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Burrows is one guy I'd literally give a late pick for them to take. Completely redundant and waste of 2.5 cap.

Somewhat disagreed.

With Neil likely done, we need someone like Burrows. There are better players but we don't attract UFAs so we went the trade and sign route.

Not great but it is what it is. Dorion has impressed me in his first year: he did all he could to bolster the roster and he did a solid job of it.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Zero chance Murray even entertains that. Dzingel may get a 2nd/3rd pick, if that.

Agreed - I was shocked to hear the fan suggest that given some of the other names being talked about for Vatanen.

I'm content letting Vegas just take Dzingel if they agree to not take Dion. I don't see Dzingel as a big time piece on this team going forward and think he's replaceable. I'd rather lose him than Claesson.

But if Dzingel is a guy that can be thrown in a deal as a sweetner in a larger trade (i.e. Duchene or Drouin), then it's something to consider for that last protection spot. Because Burrows at this point of his career is an easily replaceable bottom six forward, and I don't think there's any chance someone wants that Bobby Ryan contract.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Somewhat disagreed.

With Neil likely done, we need someone like Burrows. There are better players but we don't attract UFAs so we went the trade and sign route.

Not great but it is what it is. Dorion has impressed me in his first year: he did all he could to bolster the roster and he did a solid job of it.

We don't attract UFAs because we don't have the money, partly as a result of giving 2.5M to plugs like Burrows.

His bolstering of the roster for the playoffs consisted of adding two 4th liners, and overpaying in both trades.

Really impressive stuff.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also consider that just because he's exposed, does not mean he'll be selected.
It's the same argument some are using regarding exposing Ryan. Except I'd rather do it with a completely replaceable vet in Burrows.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We don't attract UFAs because we don't have the money, partly as a result of giving 2.5M to plugs like Burrows.

His bolstering of the roster for the playoffs consisted of adding two 4th liners, and overpaying in both trades.

Really impressive stuff.

The two fourth liners were pretty good and a clear upgrade over what we had.

Considering this is something Murray never managed, I'd say acknowledgement is warranted yes.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
So assuming Phaneuf waives our consensus mock list will be the bolded.

1. Turris
2. Brassard
3. Hoffman
4. Stone
5. Pageau
6. Smith

7. Ryan?? Dzingel??? Burrows??? MacArthur??

1. Karlsson
2. Methot
3. Ceci

1.Anderson

The only unknown is who goes into the 7th forward spot.

----
The way I would play it is protect Dzingel in the 7 spot, exposing ryan who is somewhat protected by his contract, and Burrows, and MacArhtur.

I'd protect Dzingel at #7. MacArthur and Ryan are somewhat protected by their contracts and questionable health situation while Burrows is expendable. Any other UFA they might sign until the draft should also be left unprotected.

I wouldn't do it but maybe the Sens think they can use Dzingel as bait to keep Vegas away from their D.

Personally I think the Sens have enough depth on D and they should try to trade the top 4 that they can't protect if Phaneuf won't waive his NMC. Even if Vegas takes him, losing Methot would hurt at 1st but doable with some benefits in the longer term.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Yes you can. In fact you'd be a fool not to expose him if Vegas is actually interested in taking on that ridiculous contract.

It would stop Vegas from taking Methot or Dzingel and it would open up 7.25M in cap space to use in free agency. Team hardly gets worse and we get rid of that monstrosity of a contract.

I get the sentiment but I'd prefer to keep him, I think he will do well next season if healthy. Who do we sign in free agency with that money? Does Oshie or Radulov sign here? Doubt it. Do we save that money for next year's free agency? Maybe...

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
You know, every year I have a glimpse of hope that we do something big on Free Agency day in terms of a big signing... and every year I let myself down :laugh:.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Well i just had an epiphany on why MacArthur says he had to reassess his health before he commits to playing next season. Its basically him and the sens just ****ing with Vegas.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Every year I pray that we don't make a big splash with a signing on July 1.
Those ones basically never work out in the long run

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I dunno why everyone wants to give up massive deals for a top-line forward when we can instead offersheet Leon Draisaitl, which would give up around the same amount of assets (in terms of value), but instead get a much younger 1st line center that we can keep for the next 10 years.

It's pretty simple- a trade for a top-line forward is actually a reasonable idea. Offer sheets don't work, who's the last player of Draisaitl's ability that left on an offer sheet?
It's like you wrote, he'd be our 1st line center for the next 10 years, so why the heck would Edmonton not match?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Somewhat disagreed.

How are Neil and Burrows even closely comparable?

We just saw what Burrows was, a 3rd/4th line grinder who isn't overly physical, and isn't a pest. He's just, there...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It's pretty simple- a trade for a top-line forward is actually a reasonable idea. Offer sheets don't work, who's the last player of Draisaitl's ability that left on an offer sheet?
It's like you wrote, he'd be our 1st line center for the next 10 years, so why the heck would Edmonton not match?

You dangle a huge Center like Logan Brown to the Western Clubs where huge centers are 100% needed to win, in a year with a weak draft and no impact centers after the top of the draft, with expansion coming and movement all over the place - we'll get bites if we want to deal.

Lot's of Sens future will be decided in the next 2 weeks. Cap implications, depth, trades, the improvement and decline of Atlantic teams - it's all going to change huge in the next 2 weeks.

Credit the Penguins, but I bet every team that made the playoffs and even teams like Tampa think they can win the Cup next year - teams are going to load up and teams are going to sell. Ottawa will be there making deals, Dorion is so smart, I bet we are one of the most improved clubs over the next 2 weeks. And the most improved Atlantic Club

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think Dzingel is a huge loss. I'd prefer to lose someone else like Wideman, but I think he is a lot closer to what we saw later on in the season than to what we saw earlier on when he was catching defenders off guard with is speed.

If the guy could magically learn to finish, he could be a stud, but what are the odds of that happening at 25? If he goes to Vegas, I could see him having a big year because there won't be as much competition for top 6 spots. Every expansion team has guys like that who end up putting up career highs because of the situation. Ultimately though, if we keep him, he's probably a 3rd or even a 4th liner (if Boucher uses him like he did to close out the season) who might max out at 30 points on a good year. He's really not a big loss.

If Phaneuf waives, I'd guess this would be our list....

Turris, Brassard, Pageau, Hoffman, Stone, Smith, Burrrows
EXPOSED: Ryan, Dzingel (RFA), Stalberg (UFA), Pyatt (UFA), Wingels (UFA), (Oh yeah almost forgot) MacArthur

Karlsson, Ceci, Methot.
EXPOSED: Phaneuf, Wideman, Claesson, Borowiecki

Anderson
EXPOSED: Hammond, Driedger, Condon (UFA)

They'd have to sign a forward to meet the requirements which shouldn't be an issue. I think the protect Burrows with the last spot because it doesn't make sense to take a chance on him being taken if Dorion actually thinks Burrows is as valuable as he dictated he was at the deadline. Ryan's contract supposedly doesn't make him an option for Vegas. Mac should be safe because Vegas would be insane to take a player who has missed the better part of two years with concussions and has multiple years left at 4.65M even if he did look like his old self in the playoffs. It's just not a big enough sample size to justify the risk.

Maybe we lose Claesson if there is enough hype on him after he played well in a limited post season role. I guess it's entirely possibly Vegas would take Phaneuf or Ryan but with them using their cap space now to pick up assets, I think it is a lot less likely than it might have seemed a few weeks ago for them to take a good overpaid player without any form of compensation coming their way.

IMO Burrows is exposed so you can slide Ryan or Dzingel in protected list
I hope Phaneuf waives ... I don't think there is much of a chance vegas takes him

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I haven't looked at this stuff closely, but can't we go:

1. Turris
2. Brassard
3. Hoffman
4. Stone
5. Pageau
6. Smith

1. Karlsson
2. Methot
3. Ceci
4. Claesson

1.Anderson

I'd rather lose Dzingel than Claesson. If they take Burrows I'll do a happy dance. And if they take Ryan we have freed up money we can hopefully spend on a similar player in free agency.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I haven't looked at this stuff closely, but can't we go:

1. Turris
2. Brassard
3. Hoffman
4. Stone
5. Pageau
6. Smith

1. Karlsson
2. Methot
3. Ceci
4. Claesson

1.Anderson

I'd rather lose Dzingel than Claesson. If they take Burrows I'll do a happy dance. And if they take Ryan we have freed up money we can hopefully spend on a similar player in free agency.

6-4-1 is not an option

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How are Neil and Burrows even closely comparable?

We just saw what Burrows was, a 3rd/4th line grinder who isn't overly physical, and isn't a pest. He's just, there...

I think they fill a similar role but Burrows has more skill than Neil ever had while not being anywhere near as physical.

Basically we needed a fourth liner that gets his nose dirty, Burrows is just that.

Not in love with the trade or the player but he's been decent. Better than Neil for sure.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Am I missing something? Why on earth would they protect Burrows over Dzingel?

I explained why they'd protect him in my post. It was my guess at who they'd protect rather than who I would choose to protect.

I still feel like Burrows was signed specifically to expose.
Also I'd still protect Ryan.

I disagree with this. It might be one benefit if they choose to expose him, but there's no way a team signs a guy to a 2 year contract at third line money just to meet exposure requirements. The idea that teams are super desperate to meet exposure requirements is a bit overblown. All we're seeing so far is NHL tweeners bilk teams out of a 2nd year at high 2 way money or low 1 way money. If the Sens end up needing an extra guy to expose , they'll sign the cheapest of Wingels/Pyatt/Stalberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad