TSN: Phaneuf asked to waive No-Move clause | Update: He said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Losing our 1st round pick to get them to take Ryan is like offering your opponent that you will punch yourself in the face in a boxing match.

Yeah, its only the 28th pick, but still, I'm sure we could get a middle/bottom 6 forward who will be a useful NHL player for that, which is exactly what Dzingel is.

Just let them pick Dzingel imo.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If Ryan is reinventing himself as a player it might be dumb to dump him for nothing. He will still be overpaid, but without him we don't make the final 4 this season. Also, if we dump him and he isn't replaced with a somewhat good player, we just take a step backwards is all.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Ryan's contract will hurt soon. Some players get hot in the playoffs. Who knows how he'll play next season?

In case we make PO next season, i dont mind if his total for season is 10 goals and 10 assist, IF he plays in PO as this ones. Its all i want from him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Dzingel is a huge loss. I'd prefer to lose someone else like Wideman, but I think he is a lot closer to what we saw later on in the season than to what we saw earlier on when he was catching defenders off guard with is speed.

If the guy could magically learn to finish, he could be a stud, but what are the odds of that happening at 25? If he goes to Vegas, I could see him having a big year because there won't be as much competition for top 6 spots. Every expansion team has guys like that who end up putting up career highs because of the situation. Ultimately though, if we keep him, he's probably a 3rd or even a 4th liner (if Boucher uses him like he did to close out the season) who might max out at 30 points on a good year. He's really not a big loss.

If Phaneuf waives, I'd guess this would be our list....

Turris, Brassard, Pageau, Hoffman, Stone, Smith, Burrrows
EXPOSED: Ryan, Dzingel (RFA), Stalberg (UFA), Pyatt (UFA), Wingels (UFA), (Oh yeah almost forgot) MacArthur

Karlsson, Ceci, Methot.
EXPOSED: Phaneuf, Wideman, Claesson, Borowiecki

Anderson
EXPOSED: Hammond, Driedger, Condon (UFA)

They'd have to sign a forward to meet the requirements which shouldn't be an issue. I think the protect Burrows with the last spot because it doesn't make sense to take a chance on him being taken if Dorion actually thinks Burrows is as valuable as he dictated he was at the deadline. Ryan's contract supposedly doesn't make him an option for Vegas. Mac should be safe because Vegas would be insane to take a player who has missed the better part of two years with concussions and has multiple years left at 4.65M even if he did look like his old self in the playoffs. It's just not a big enough sample size to justify the risk.

Maybe we lose Claesson if there is enough hype on him after he played well in a limited post season role. I guess it's entirely possibly Vegas would take Phaneuf or Ryan but with them using their cap space now to pick up assets, I think it is a lot less likely than it might have seemed a few weeks ago for them to take a good overpaid player without any form of compensation coming their way.

Am I missing something? Why on earth would they protect Burrows over Dzingel?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I still feel like Burrows was signed specifically to expose.
Also I'd still protect Ryan.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The extra year was tacked on, just because?

Because what Deku said, also Vegas might want to have one or two contracts that extend past next season.
Need some veteran leadership in the locker room, etc etc

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So assuming Phaneuf waives our consensus mock list will be the bolded.

1. Turris
2. Brassard
3. Hoffman
4. Stone
5. Pageau
6. Smith

7. Ryan?? Dzingel??? Burrows??? MacArthur??

1. Karlsson
2. Methot
3. Ceci

1.Anderson

The only unknown is who goes into the 7th forward spot.

----
The way I would play it is protect Dzingel in the 7 spot, exposing ryan who is somewhat protected by his contract, and Burrows, and MacArhtur.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Phaneuf waives we probably save a 2nd round pick, as I expect Dorion will throw a 2nd Vegas's way to have them take Dzingel/Claesson instead of Methot.

Let's hope he waives.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Looks about right to me.
And that 7th forward is Dzingel, Ryan, Burrows, or (longshot) maybe MacArthur.

Unless we convince Stalberg to return before July 1st. In which case he gets protected.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With the amount of good defensemen available for expansion and how few skilled young cost controlled forwards there are going to be Dzingel is the best option.

I wonder if the sens agree to leave Dzingel unprotected and have Phaneuf waive that might be enough for them to just take Dzingel.

I still think trading Ceci is the move that should be made right now. For a team that needs D that has a surplus of forwards. Something around Palat for Ceci would be a good move for both teams.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If Phaneuf waives we probably save a 2nd round pick, as I expect Dorion will throw a 2nd Vegas's way to have them take Dzingel/Claesson instead of Methot.

Let's hope he waives.

I'd hope we try to move out Wideman over Claesson.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
So assuming Phaneuf waives our consensus mock list will be the bolded.

1. Turris
2. Brassard
3. Hoffman
4. Stone
5. Pageau
6. Smith

7. Ryan?? Dzingel??? Burrows??? MacArthur??

1. Karlsson
2. Methot
3. Ceci

1.Anderson

The only unknown is who goes into the 7th forward spot.

It has to be Bobby. You cant expose him after those playoff heroics. Like you said at worst he is a 50 point guy overpaid by like 2 mil
MacArthur shouldnt need to be protected
Dzingel and Burrows are good but easily replaceable

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because what Deku said, also Vegas might want to have one or two contracts that extend past next season.
Need some veteran leadership in the locker room, etc etc

So we traded Dahlen to sign Burrows to lose him to Vegas for nothing?

I know I'm starting a dumb argument, just doesn't make a lick of sense to me from an expansion draft outlook.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd hope we try to move out Wideman over Claesson.

I'd be more than okay with giving up a 2nd + Wideman to not select Methot.

I imagine it'd have to be Dzingel + 2nd though, which I'm not sure I'd do if I were Dorion.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
As a Vegas fan, I will jump off a bridge if they pick Burrows.

They are going to have 2nd-3rd line tweeners coming out of their ears...no use for a 37 year old who was demoted to the 4th line and did nothing at the most important part of the year.

Methot / Dzingel / Claesson would be my choices in order for them.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
It has to be Bobby. You cant expose him after those playoff heroics. Like you said at worst he is a 50 point guy overpaid by like 2 mil

true but i don't think ryan is a consensus by everyone to be protected right now, thats just who we know will 100% be protected.

my gut(which is usually right) is telling me Claesson or Dzingel will not be a senators post NHL awards.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
So we traded Dahlen to sign Burrows to lose him to Vegas for nothing?

I know I'm starting a dumb argument, just doesn't make a lick of sense to me from an expansion draft outlook.

That's a dumb argument.

That's like saying: "We traded Silf, Noesen and a 1st for Ryan to lose him to Vegas for nothing?"

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Yes you can. In fact you'd be a fool not to expose him if Vegas is actually interested in taking on that ridiculous contract.

It would stop Vegas from taking Methot or Dzingel and it would open up 7.25M in cap space to use in free agency. Team hardly gets worse and we get rid of that monstrosity of a contract.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Garrioch says it's only 50/50 whether Phaneuf waives.

If he says no they'll try to move Methot or Ceci.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

Interesting. If he doesn't wave, maybe we move Ceci in a package deal for Tavares, who would fill out the list of 7 forwards to protect and give us an elite top line player?

I can dream, can't I?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Oh wow that's surprising. Thought they'd just bribe Vegas to take Dzingel.

Trading Methot or Ceci might not be a bad idea if we can get decent value for them.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Interesting. If he doesn't wave, maybe we move Ceci in a package deal for Tavares, who would fill out the list of 7 forwards to protect and give us an elite top line player?

I can dream, can't I?

Much better chance he's moved in a Duchene deal I bet.

Or maybe Ceci becomes the main piece in a Drouin deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad