PGT - Pens/Ducks - From Dupuis to Beau to Adams (Sid, This is Your Life)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If Megna can develop properly, he might be a good fit with Crosby some day.

Ya his speed is more than enough to keep up with Crosby. He also goes to the net hard and plays hard along the boards. I'd make my tiresome warning about his hockey sense, but uh if Dupuis can play with Crosby...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Ya his speed is more than enough to keep up with Crosby. He also goes to the net hard and plays hard along the boards. I'd make my tiresome warning about his hockey sense, but uh if Dupuis can play with Crosby...

Yeah really... At least Megna has hands too. He's also playing pretty well in the AHL at the moment from just looking at the stat sheet, barring anybody who's actually seen him play. Maybe he's putting it together finally.

Kunitz - Crosby - Megna
Bennett - Malkin - Neal

That wouldn't be too bad in a year or two...

I also wonder about Kuhnhackl. I know you've said before that he doesn't really stand out unless he's scoring goals (at least I think you said that), but maybe he wouldn't end up being a bad 3rd liner once Jokinen is gone. That's probably too soon for him, but if he has a good season in the AHL, it might not be a bad idea to try him out there. He at least went to the net int he preseason and caused some dirty goals, plus he's not a midget like some of the other guys in our bottom 6 listed at 6'2".

Kuhnhackl - Sutter - Dupuis

That doesn't look too bad on paper, if like I said, he develops correctly.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kuhn will likely take a little bit to put it all together (if he even does) but I like that he seems to have a nose for the net and is a big body. I don't know how much it would help him on this team at the NHL level... but he has an absolute bomb of a one-timer, too.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
this is definitely true, that the onus is primarily on the stars themselves. but it would be grand if sid/malkin could get some points/confidence by someone else generating a goal/scoring chance.

i cant think of too many other stars in this league that have to create damn near every offensive chance that their line generates. a guy like ovechkin generates the majority of his lines offense, but probably 30% of the goals/chances their line generates is the result of a good play by backstrom.

sid and malkin are almost NEVER the beneficiary of good plays by their linemates.

i just dont understand what sort of team shero is trying to create. his two stars are on islands of their own out there, the team is terribly soft/easy to play against, and he has a logjam of expensive mediocre d-men with young talented d-man waiting in the wings.

is shero's main priority building around his headcase goalie? thats honestly what it seems like right now. and for numerous reasons, thats just a bad strategy for this team.
I fully understand that.

I have to guess that the thinking is that if they have players around them to take care of the dirtier parts of the game then they will be free to be more offensive. Maybe that works with centers that play more like wingers, like Lemieux was always more of a LWer than center, but that's not going to happen with Sid and Malkin roaming the entire 200' of the ice.

I don't even think they build around MAF. If they did Scuds and Gill would never have been let go after the cup. This team is built and being built for back end flow. The stretch pass is just a lure. Sometimes it works but its mostly there to push back the defense so that the centers and defense can bring plays up ice.

Personally I would rather see the Pens move towards transitional wingers and just let the defenders defend. Wingers that can move up and down the wall with speed, back defenses up and make transitional passes through the middle of the ice. Let the wingers that can skate make more of the transitional passes. Its more about skating N/S and passing E/W. IMO its simpler, safer and players can stay to their roles more. Most importantly the centers have support up and down the ice instead of behind them.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Kuhn will likely take a little bit to put it all together (if he even does) but I like that he seems to have a nose for the net and is a big body. I don't know how much it would help him on this team at the NHL level... but he has an absolute bomb of a one-timer, too.

Yeah. He'll probably be 2 years away, but that timetable could be sped up with a good season this year. I'm not under the delusion that he's going to be a great top 6 player, but 3rd liner isn't out of the question.

Could be a good PP guy too on that #2 PP with his bomb. That is unless Bylsma wants to mitigate his one great skill like he loves to do.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah really... At least Megna has hands too. He's also playing pretty well in the AHL at the moment from just looking at the stat sheet, barring anybody who's actually seen him play. Maybe he's putting it together finally.

Kunitz - Crosby - Megna
Bennett - Malkin - Neal

That wouldn't be too bad in a year or two...

I also wonder about Kuhnhackl. I know you've said before that he doesn't really stand out unless he's scoring goals (at least I think you said that), but maybe he wouldn't end up being a bad 3rd liner once Jokinen is gone. That's probably too soon for him, but if he has a good season in the AHL, it might not be a bad idea to try him out there. He at least went to the net int he preseason and caused some dirty goals, plus he's not a midget like some of the other guys in our bottom 6 listed at 6'2".

Kuhnhackl - Sutter - Dupuis

That doesn't look too bad on paper, if like I said, he develops correctly.

I think this board will hate Kuhn when the honeymoon period ends. I've seen a few people try and compare him to current NHL players; Moulson, Ryder, etc.

If he really maxes out, he may be a JJ type player that hits a little more. Aside from his big shot, he has a really pedestrian overall game.

There are guys way more suited for that third line spot than Kuhn. Uher is ideal for the third line and he is currently out producing Kuhn. Uher is faster, more tenacious, and a huge pain in the ass to play agt. He is a lot like Vitale, but I think has a little more upside. He will do wonders for the third line when he is ready.

I'm just trying to move people away from putting any real hopes in Kuhn. If he does well great. I've always said I love being wrong about guys I'm not too big on.

IMHO Uher will have a bigger impact on this team than Kuhn. Maybe Zen any TD feel differently though. We'll see if they chime in.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hey ... they're practicing today. No Malkin, hopefully a maintainence day

#Pens practice is underway at @CONSOLEnergyCtr. Evgeni Malkin is the only player missing. @penguins

Sill filling in for Malkin. #Pens lines: Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett, Dupuis-Sill-Neal, Gibbons-Sutter-Jokinen, Glass-Vitale-Adams. D rotating. @penguins

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
^Good news.

I figured with Malkin looking better he'd keep it going for 1 more game at the very least. Another chance for the top 2 lines to get it going and maybe stick.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think that would be the first practice that Malkin has missed, all year. Hopefully not a big deal. Though I think he's battling something and has been for a while.

And I want Kuhn to do well... but I can't help but agree with Jiggy. He seems like a huge longshot, overall.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
KCB is practicing?

tumblr_moz783GkEU1sx36bio1_250.gif

Naturally Malkin needs a maintenance day after he started to look good last night. His health makes me nervous this season, hopefully he got whatever Letang had.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Alright let's touch on some points that are going around this thread:

1) Fleury was awesome - absurdly agree. Only reason we won.

2) Beau was bad: No he was not. He was getting to learn how Sid plays the game. Some of the give/goes had me saying "Yep... that's what i want!" But then he's taken off the line for the entire third period almost for ****ing CRAIG ADAMS. It's flat out inexcusable. I could see one shift to double shift Sid. Not to double shift Craig ****ing Adams. Are you KIDDING me? What did Adams do in that game to be rewarded justly? How about Gibs? How about Vitale? Those guys deserved rewards. But low and behold Craig Adams. And did you see what happened when Gibbons was rewarded? He scored on Geno's line.

How in the world do you expect Beau to have chemistry with Sid when you continue to do this with him. We will let Kunitz fumble the puck for 30 ****ing games but Beau cannot mess up once in a period. It's a joke. I seriously HATE Dan Bylsma.

3) Foot on the pedal: Foot on the pedal does not mean run/gun, but when you are putting Adams on Sid's line, you stopped focusing about scoring goals and playing strong hockey. The 2009 team never stopped playing the same way from the first puck drop til the last whistle (outside of Game 7 for the Cup). Defensive structure is okay. It's actually GOOD. But when you are changing lines just to get Adams out for his "Defensive" game, then you are messing up.

4) Maatta's good game: It's not that people are done with their love for Maatta. We just aren't shocked when he performs at that level anymore. I have to remind myself he's 19. The fact is - when he's out there, I don't worry. He might get beat on a play or might make a bad pass here and there, but the majority of the time he delivers a high quality defensive game. I love it. So I think it's a good thing people aren't making a big deal of it. That means it's so consistent, we just expect it.

5) The roster not being good enough - COMPLETELY disagree. Had this argument in 2009 and will be having it again all year. It's all coaching and how the players buy into the system now. Unless this team starts focusing on structure instead of just beating teams on skill, they have 0 chance at the Cup. If we were to walk into the playoffs right now, I wouldn't even have expectations past Round 2. But the roster is there. Some adjustments, sure. A bunch of trades? Absolutely not.

6) Perimeter - whether it's the players or DB's system, we use it too much. We force pucks to our points when we cycle down low 5 on 5. We only keep pucks outside on the perimeter on the powerplay. It makes no sense. I don't understand it and cannot believe how people don't see it.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I think this board will hate Kuhn when the honeymoon period ends. I've seen a few people try and compare him to current NHL players; Moulson, Ryder, etc.

If he really maxes out, he may be a JJ type player that hits a little more. Aside from his big shot, he has a really pedestrian overall game.

There are guys way more suited for that third line spot than Kuhn. Uher is ideal for the third line and he is currently out producing Kuhn. Uher is faster, more tenacious, and a huge pain in the ass to play agt. He is a lot like Vitale, but I think has a little more upside. He will do wonders for the third line when he is ready.

I'm just trying to move people away from putting any real hopes in Kuhn. If he does well great. I've always said I love being wrong about guys I'm not too big on.

IMHO Uher will have a bigger impact on this team than Kuhn. Maybe Zen any TD feel differently though. We'll see if they chime in.

I honestly forgot all about Uher and I love the guy. In that case I completely agree with you there.

Do you think Kuhn can be a Neal type player though with his shot? Its not like Neal does a whole lot out there one on one against defenders and can be lazy along the boards.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I just watched the game this morning. I don't mind all the line juggling if Bylsma sticks with the original lines for more than just one game...and judging from today's practice, that seems to be the case.

VERY impressed with Gibbons' hands! Wow. And how about his reaction to scoring his first NHL goal? That was Brett Hull-like in terms of ho-hum, yeah I scored a goal. I love this kid already.

I am optimistic for the first time this season. Bennett's getting a shot with Sid; Geno looked like Geno last night; Sutter has actual skilled wingers with him on the third line. This is good.

OH, and how good was Olli Maatta last night? This guy is like Ice!

Olli Ice...that should be his nickname. Or maybe a spinoff of Matt Ryan (Matty Ice), "Maatta Ice"?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Let alone, playing alongside Sid, Adams taking a roster spot at this point irks me.

Gibbons, Vitale. Bring Megna up. Tons of PK'ing to go around.
Don't wanna bring Megna up?
Healthy scratch Adams, put Engo there and play Bortuzzo.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
5) The roster not being good enough - COMPLETELY disagree. Had this argument in 2009 and will be having it again all year. It's all coaching and how the players buy into the system now. Unless this team starts focusing on structure instead of just beating teams on skill, they have 0 chance at the Cup. If we were to walk into the playoffs right now, I wouldn't even have expectations past Round 2. But the roster is there. Some adjustments, sure. A bunch of trades? Absolutely not.

We're missing a guy who consistently goes to the net Cole. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. Out third line is soft as butter as well.

We don't need major changes. But a trade to wake up the team and address that need would take us to the next level.

DB is a separate issue. Obviously the team has to start playing with structure an accountability if we want to win this year. Ill believe it when I see this team play in the postseason.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How in the world do you expect Beau to have chemistry with Sid when you continue to do this with him. We will let Kunitz fumble the puck for 30 ****ing games but Beau cannot mess up once in a period. It's a joke. I seriously HATE Dan Bylsma.

Welcome to my world, Cole.

Even his idiotic quotes are making me want to kick puppies. "They're scoring a lot of goals that aren't going in"? What? He's turning into a combination of Yogi Berra and Don King with his nonsensical babble.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
As far as the roster I don't know how anyone can think it needs improving. We're talking about trying to win the Cup aren't we? When Scuds comes back I think the D is definitely good enough, and right now it's at the very least passable and probably better than that(again, Cup standards).

The forwards? We've been chipping away at our bottom six the last 2-3 years and by now it's weak as hell. Like seriously? This isn't a concern? It's a rotating mish mash of guys that don't play big physically or I'm the figurative sense. Dupuis has probably lost half a step which could be bad news. There are holes here, like real holes.

Fleury has been good so far but there's nothing we can really do about this aspect of the team but watch and wait.

The biggest issue is teams have figured out how to play us, restricting Crosby and Malkin knowing that the other guys are at best two dimensional players. The is the difference between our team and the likes of Chicago, Boston, LA, Anaheim, and maybe even the Vancouver.

Fire Shero*

Shero is an enabler. Keeping guys like Adams and Glass, and signing pathetic players like D 'ags and Kobasew is just cruel to do to a guy like Bylsma, who cannot resist playing them. It's basically like locking a crack head in a room with crack and not expect him to use any. Shero knows disco cannot resist starting ****** players, but he continues keep grinders around and sign a new batch of fringe players every year.

We cant waive them all at once, that would cause serious problems for disco. We need to gradually taper down the amount of scrubs so Bylsma doesn't go into shock. Jeffrey was a good start, but disco never liked him.

Start with D'Ags

TheBeardofJustice

May 8, 2013
New Jersey
This game was won by individuals playing the biggest cluster **** game of line combo I've ever seen.

Yes, we scored. Yes, we won. Yes, different line combos were good. ...but nothing about this game should excite us save for:

Fleury playing like a beast
Gibbons having a nice debut
Malkin and Sid showing some life

Well yes, this isn't the end of all our ills but honestly, that second and third period was impressive. We beat a tough western conference playoff team that is very good against our "system." To me, that was the most impressive part. Finally, Mario or Ray got pissed and forced DB to make some line changes as well as put a player on the crease to screen the goalie and deflect shots. Now, if DB could make these changes before a losing streak happens that would be great.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yes UB but the CAP!

They have their hands just totally tied -- nothing can be done about it! Despite the fact that they throw money around like sultans on defensemen (while simultaneously drafting and developing high-level blueliner prospects) and have attempted to break the bank in the past on guys like Parise, Hossa and Staal. With, I would hope, the intention of keeping the rest of the "core."

Fire Shero*

The pens pretty much spend $20 million on its defense. Their defense is mediocre at best. It's not some great group of players, Martin and Letang are the only above average dmen.

I just don't understand Shero's philosophy. Draft all dmen, but continue to sign aging vets at the expense of forwards, not just top 6 but bottom six as well.

I honestly don't even know what shero is doing anymore.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We're missing a guy who consistently goes to the net Cole. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. Out third line is soft as butter as well.

We don't need major changes. But a trade to wake up the team and address that need would take us to the next level.

DB is a separate issue. Obviously the team has to start playing with structure an accountability if we want to win this year. Ill believe it when I see this team play in the postseason.

Yup I agree. We really need a big bodied top 9 winger that will plant his ass in front and wreak havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00