PGT - Pens/Ducks - From Dupuis to Beau to Adams (Sid, This is Your Life)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No, taking Kunitz away will probably hurt Sid's production a little, but i think you could take two of Dupuis Jokinen BB and il even throw in Megna and still have a very productive line, Putting Kunitz with Geno and Neal will greatly improve Geno and Neal numbers more then it will hurt Crosby's.

I think some of you are more concerned by doing what's best for Sid(which i guess is ok) but im more concerned about what's best for the team to score more goals,

If anything, I'm more concerned about doing what's best for Geno than Sid since he's my favorite player. That said, I know both of these guys have egos and giving one or the other our 2 best wingers while the other has a pile of scraps, isn't going to yield great results in the locker room or on the ice. For now, the best approach is the balanced one. Kunitz with Sid, Neal with Geno, fill in the rest.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To be fair... Malkin has been playing mostly with scraps for his entire NHL career outside of Neal the last few seasons with nary a word of protest. That we know of.

If there is someone who can relate to Crosby's linemate plight... it's Geno.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Glad I was right about Beau staying on the top line. DB seemed, surprisingly, extremely positive and happy in the press conference. Seemed pleased with the new lines.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If anything, I'm more concerned about doing what's best for Geno than Sid since he's my favorite player. That said, I know both of these guys have egos and giving one or the other our 2 best wingers while the other has a pile of scraps, isn't going to yield great results in the locker room or on the ice. For now, the best approach is the balanced one. Kunitz with Sid, Neal with Geno, fill in the rest.

You make a good point, the one thing that would worry me about KMN is how Sid would react to it, i'd hope he would be ok with it, but maybe he wouldn't, that would be the only thing that would stop me from putting KMN back together.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
My guess is from Bylsma? When Craig Adams replaces you in the third period, unfair as it was, it's easy to come up with Bennett having a bad game. Personally, I thought he was fine for a guy who's never really spent any time on a line with Sidney Crosby. Clearly, Bylsma had tears in his eyes longing for a Crosby-Dupuis reunion, though. He resisted the urge, though, settling for his No. 2 (Adams) fave playing next to Sid. All was then right in the world according to Dan.

I honestly thought Bennett looked hesitant and did not play near his best. But you bring up a good point in that maybe those like me felt he had to look great to stay on L1.

Like others I am glad it looks like he is staying there for the time being. I know he can play better than he did last night IMO.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To be fair... Malkin has been playing mostly with scraps for his entire NHL career outside of Neal the last few seasons with nary a word of protest. That we know of.

If there is someone who can relate to Crosby's linemate plight... it's Geno.

Oh I know. I just don't see it flying if the shoe's on the other foot, so to speak. This is still Sid's team and while he is humble, the dude's got an ego (we all do).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Glad I was right about Beau staying on the top line. DB seemed, surprisingly, extremely positive and happy in the press conference. Seemed pleased with the new lines.

Words are nice. And Disco's good at using the right words to get everybody to lust over him. Actions speak louder.

If he can't resist the urge to replace Beau with Adams while protecting a 3-1 lead in an inter-conference match-up in NOVEMBER, it still doesn't bode well at all for Mr. Bennett.

Let's see what happens next, but the movie script has already been written and everybody knows the ending.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Neal just has elite goal scoring instincts that I don't see with Kuhn. They both have a nasty shot, but Neal is a sniper, Kuhn isn't. Kuhn, despite his shot, scores more greasy goals than sniping. I don't want to beat on Kuhn too hard, but again he isn't a guy I'm excited about.

Uher is a beast though. Can't wait for him to get on this team and give this team the kind of skilled sandpaper they need.

Keep in mind Uher was just as productive in jr as Kuhn, but IMHO played in a tougher league to score. He's just a better prospect all around I think.

Like I said, maybe Zen or TD feel differently about Kuhn and Uher. They know their **** so, we'll see if they read this.
Do you think he can be what Talbot was when MT was around? Does he play with that kind of a chip on his shoulder?

I'm not a big Kuhn fan either. He actually reminds me of Roche.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I honestly thought Bennett looked hesitant and did not play near his best. But you bring up a good point in that maybe those like me felt he had to look great to stay on L1.

Like others I am glad it looks like he is staying there for the time being. I know he can play better than he did last night IMO.

I agree. I thought he was hesitant, as well. But there is SO MUCH potential there with Bennett playing with Crosby, you HAVE to give it a legitimate chance here. They're capable of playing a two-man game out there with puck possession and creating chances. Only other time we get to see that is when Sid plays with Geno. If these two guys can mesh, it alleviates any need for Sid to play with Geno other than PP, coming out of PKs and when we need a goal late.

And that's a very good thing.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Words are nice. And Disco's good at using the right words to get everybody to lust over him. Actions speak louder.

If he can't resist the urge to replace Beau with Adams while protecting a 3-1 lead in an inter-conference match-up in NOVEMBER, it still doesn't bode well at all for Mr. Bennett.

Let's see what happens next, but the movie script has already been written and everybody knows the ending.

If Bylsma needs to be eased into it, I don't care. As long as it happens, it can take three months for him to cut it out and I'd prefer it to the alternative.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
this organization has completely lost track of the idea that the regular season is for the long view and short term duct tape fixes are for when playoff series are going the wrong way.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well... it would be.

But certainly not under present roster conditions, IMO.

Exactly.

KMN carried the team on its back in 2011, Geno had 50 goals 109 points, Neal had 40 goals and 81 points, Kunitz had 26 goals and 61 points, pens are having a hard time scoring goals right now, KMN can help this team score goals and win games.

Yes but Kunitz and Crosby tore the league apart last year as well. I agree that KMN is superior to KCD, but giving Kunitz to Malkin and leaving Sid with Duper and Bennett is likely not better for the team. We really just need another Kunitz :laugh:

Shady is right here.

Stacking Geno's line is only better for Geno and Geno alone. We are not a better team if Geno is playing with Kunitz and Neal while Sid is playing with left overs. Balancing the lines is what is best for the team.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Stacking Geno's line is only better for Geno and Geno alone. We are not a better team if Geno is playing with Kunitz and Neal while Sid is playing with left overs. Balancing the lines is what is best for the team.

Well, balance could be achieved if Bennett actually played with Crosby for 60 minutes, but there's no way we can gain balance if Craig frickin' Adams is spotted on the FIRST line towards the end of games.

Let's see what happens in Washington.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh I know. I just don't see it flying if the shoe's on the other foot, so to speak. This is still Sid's team and while he is humble, the dude's got an ego (we all do).

Absolutely. I'm not calling Crosby spoiled or entitled by any stretch. But it's understandable that he'd want quality linemates. And unlike Malkin... I don't know how he'd handle being the one getting "stiffed."

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
TBH neither Sid nor Geno can complain about linemates too much given their salaries.

(and before you break your computer mad I am absolutely not saying they are anything close to overpaid)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
TBH neither Sid nor Geno can complain about linemates too much given their salaries.

(and before you break your computer mad I am absolutely not saying they are anything close to overpaid)

So once you make a certain amount, you are no longer allowed to complain about ****** linemates?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Do you understand how the salary cap works or

Do you understand what "too much" means or

I am quite aware of the salary cap and how it works. Shero should have been as well when he signs contracts. It's his job to surround his superstars with talent.

No, I have no idea what "too much" means. It's a totally subjective amount that you invented and failed to convey.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Do you understand how the salary cap works or

Do you understand what "too much" means or

Everyone gets that.

They could buttress their natural strengths (Sid, Geno), if they so chose. But they don't. It isn't the fault of the salary cap... it's a team philosophy. They believe that Crosby and Malkin should be able to carry whatever line they are on, regardless. A nice thought, in principle. But not terribly realistic. At least these days.

However, I do agree that a certain level of compensation should also come with a certain amount of expectations. Otherwise nobody would have been making a huge laughingstock out of someone like Gomez a short time ago. And nobody would be eyeballing Letang with some trepidation.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
It makes perfect sense to me that the team's philosophy should be to A) make sure they keep two of the best players in the world long-term, B) in turn spend the next largest sums of money on defense/goaltending as they should be able to rely on such world-class talent, C) surround said superstars with the best options possible.

Given current contracts / past extremely active trade deadlines, they have followed this philosphy quite well. The difference this year seems to be that Sid / Geno are struggling somewhat and are not able to "carry" their linemates to the same extent.

However, it is Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin we are talking about here, both currently healthy (knock on wood) and still in their mid-20's. The slump is temporary, if you can even call it a slump, and the chemistry will work itself out.

The only decision of Shero's that I have not really liked (keeping in mind that hindsight is 20/20) is the dollar amount given to Letang.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Does anybody else find some silver lining in our slump?
Am I crazy for finding it myself?
The way I see it:

1) The Pens were bound to struggle, and teams have the Boston Bruins strategy on how to frustrate our offense. It was inevitable and by happening now, we can make adjustments be it coaching or personnel.

2) The Pens have not self destructed, they've not really gotten blown out (Ranger game aside). Last season remember game 2 against Boston, that has not happened.

3) The defensive play has been solid.

4) Fleury has been excellent in net, not letting in soft goals, not getting down, but rather giving the team a shot last night and others to be in games. This is exactly what we needed from the goalie last season, and Vokoun provided.

Points 2-4 encourage me a lot.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Beau had a bad play. He did not have a bad game. He was our best winger in the first. He and Sid were the only pair that created any kind of pressure.

Respect your opinion quite a bit but I disagree on this one. And even if he was our best forward in the first isn't saying much considering how our forwards played in the first. Its like saying that he is the skinniest dude at fat camp (sorry, I couldn't resist).

He looked discombobulated out there. Was losing easy sticks off of his puck, getting knocked off the puck easier than normal and other than his compete level (which was high as always) he really didn't do anything or look dangerous at all.

And I truly respect the difference between a bad play and a bad game. I get tired of the whole scenario playing out with others on the roster making a bad play and people relating it to the entire game.

I simply think that while his compete level was high and that's a good thing, the reasons that I mentioned above as well as that entire awful series which led to the goal is enough to give him a minus. And I still think this was his worst game. To each his own I guess.

Having said that, I think that he is going to work with Sid. He didn't automatically pass up a better opportunity to defer to Sid. That is provided he gets another chance.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm in Vegas til Thursday, and shockingly there was no pens ducks game.

So was it smoke and mirrors, or just another crap win? What's this about Adams with Sid?

Someone gimme a rundown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad