PGT - Pens/Ducks - From Dupuis to Beau to Adams (Sid, This is Your Life)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think this is coming from above him. There's no other explanation.

Maybe he's Rob Fording it?

i4RXburIleN12.gif

I also didn't like MAF's game. He made some key saves but over commited a number of times. Letang and Maatta actually made saves in the crease because MAF was way out of the play and they played the best IMO.

That PK where they both got pucks out from the crease? That was sweet and mildly traumatizing. It was a mess where luck and talent won out.

I thought Fleury played really, really well but he's still not perfect and I don't expect him to be; he did what he needed to. I really want to see a learning curve from him this season, that would be huge.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Here is a quick blurb of Sid and Beau's perspective of the last game.

Overall, that line had a lot of extended shifts in the offensive zone partly because of how strong Bennett was with the puck, especially along the boards, which allowed them to get a cycle going.

“He was good,” Crosby said of Bennett. “He held onto the puck and made a lot of good plays there. Had a chance there kind of on a breakaway, the puck just wouldn’t settle down for him. I think it’s something that you have to get used to, too, the speed and playing against different guys, things like that. But I thought he handled it well.”

Bennett, who is a right-handed shot next to a pair of lefties back on his natural right wing (he had actually never played on the left side before coming to Pittsburgh), thought the three of them began to gel as the game went on.

“We got a lot of chances and I thought we started to build a little chemistry together as the game went on,” he said. “Eventually they’ll start going in for us.”

What was his approach to playing with Crosby as opposed to Malkin or Sutter, which he has done this season?

“(Him and Kunitz) play pretty simple,” Bennett said. “They’re not trying too much stuff out there. They’re getting the puck to the net, they’re making the open play when it’s there, so it’s just about getting to the net and trying to get open when you can.”

With the opposition concerned with Crosby, Bennett said he tried to take advantage of the resulting space he got Monday as best he could – but he doesn’t anticipate there being a surplus of that tomorrow on the road. That’s a disadvantage the three of them will have to work through.

“When Sid’s out there, he’s getting a lot of attention,” Bennett said. “Sometimes that’s good because you have a little more room to work. At home, it’s not too big of a deal. We get the last change and whatnot. So on the road I’m sure it’ll be a little bit different.”

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=692273&navid=DL|PIT|home

Let's just hope that Beau is given the time needed to get used to it.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Not surprised Bylsma is sticking with the lines. He seemed surprisingly positive about the Crosby/Bennett line the other night in his post game presser.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
A few years ago Adams WAS a special PK player, just as good as Cooke and Staal. Now, not so much, but Bylsma.

Yeah, the 2009 (post waiver claim) to 2011 version of Adams was a monster on the PK and was just a really good, physical 4th liner in a general.

It's clear at this point that age and wear and tear have taken a toll on him, the team would've been best served to let him go to make room for a younger player on the 4th line.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
This coach just makes me crazy, there is no other way to describe it! Finally, he gives Bennett a shot with Sid. But then he does not score 11 goals in the 1st period and he goes down a few lines. And all of the sudden, in the 3rd Adams plays with Crosby. Yes, Adams and Glass are getting way too much critisism imo, but this is just not right. I don´t have a problem with giving those guys a couple of shifts with Sid or Malkin once in a while, but not like that.

Dupuis and Malkin don´t klick, I am not sure how he does not see that. He tried it before and it did not work. I really would like to see a 3rd line with Sutter and Dupuis, I think that could make a really, really good line. There are a lot of candidates for the 3rd spot on that line, Gibbons, Megna, Kobasew (when healthy), maybe D´Agostini.

To get Malkin started, you have to play him with Kunitz, so why not reunite Kunitz-Malkin-Neal? I am pretty sure Bennett is up to the task and is able to play with Sid, that would leave Jokinen and he should be able to play with Crosby as well.

That way you would have a balanced lineup, where at least 3 lines could score. The 4th line is not nearly as bad as some people think, they have done a decent job and we don´t need them to score every game.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Bennett played with Crosby into the 3rd period. Crosby then got a shift with Malkin where he scored and the Pens regained a two goal lead. At that point the Pens went with a more defensive presence on that line in Adams for the rest of the game. Crosby's line losing a couple guys in coverage in the 3rd period was probably the reason Bylsma decided to add a defensive minded forward to the line down the stretch once they had a two goal lead again.

I don't remember Glass playing with Malkin except for one shift and it only happened because Vitale changed early, Malkin hopped on the ice and set up Gibbons for the goal with Glass standing in front of the net. Glass was not out there with Malkin by design. Glass did actually get in on the forecheck and make a nice play/hit to get that sequence where Gibbons scored going.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone else think the Pens are collapsing a little to much? I love the structure around MAF but a collapsing defense is death.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Does anyone else think the Pens are collapsing a little to much? I love the structure around MAF but a collapsing defense is death.

The bottom two lines are, but I'm not sure any other strategy would be particularly better for the personnel in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->