PGT: Dupuis 2, Haters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I'm not worried because it's like game 2 back for Beau, but he didn't look great. I don't worry about it, but just for last night's game analysis - he was just average at best.

Yet he still showed that flash where he had patience and dished it to Despres for a good chance.
If Bennett shot more, I'd like him more on the left side. His main skill is passing. It doesn't make sense to me.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The state of mind that something should be proven different before its considered different, yeah. When things have been done differently and worked well, I've acknowledged and applauded them.

"Free of all complaints" is hardly the standard I'm holding the new regime to - virtually all the personnel issues that remained from the last one still remain, in spite of no shortage of opportunities to do things differently. I don't think I need to go through the laundry list to show that's the case.

You seem to have a much bigger problem with the presence of Scuderi and Adams this season than last. Despite the former actually playing pretty good hockey right now, and the latter being used primarily in a PK role, not 12+ minutes/night.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
KCD was fine. Produced a goal and had some extended shifts in the Toronto end.

I was a lot more disappointed in Malkin. He's running out of excuses for not producing at ES. He made up for it with the fight with Phaneuf at the end though.

I like that Johnston was rotating Downie and Beau after PKs with Sid.

I have yet to hear him making excuses....:help:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Bennett shot more, I'd like him more on the left side. His main skill is passing. It doesn't make sense to me.

Bennett needs to start producing. There's been a lot of games where he's "looked good", but they don't necessarily translate into points.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why that is. He *does* look good a lot of the time and *does* make some nice plays. But for whatever reason, they don't result in goals or points for Bennett.

Hope he can get on track after all the injuries. I thought by now we'd be able to count on him for 40 to 50 points a season.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think Greiss should get a chance to compete for the starter's job and I think for that to happen he needs to play more frequently.

However, as great as he has been he has not proven that he is a clear upgrade yet. Obviously it is no fault of his but he has only played 3 games.

Greiss- 3gp 2w 1.96 gaa .938 sv pct. 32 sa/g
Fleury- 12gp 9w 2.15 gaa .924 sv pct. 28 sa/g

Both men have played very well. I'm open to a competition but some here must understand that if Fleury keeps playing like this it is unlikely that Greiss wins that competition.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
There's never any doubt that KCD will amass shots or be "good enough" for the regular season. That has always been the case. But that's not my standard for a Crosby line, especially after seeing how it performed with Hornqvist. And if it stays a line and plays to its usual standard throughout the season, I have a hard time believing that ever-popular familiarity will be broken up on account of a deadline deal.

I'll give Geno a few games to get out of his post-traumatic Dupuis-Comeau Syndrome before I get concerned about him.

KCD isn't the answer, but neither is that line with Hornqvist. At least Dupuis is fast enough to get to the puck retriever to create some pressure. KCH would often just dump the puck in and the other team would move it out easily since Hornqvist isn't a particularly good skater.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Bennett needs to start producing. There's been a lot of games where he's "looked good", but they don't necessarily translate into points.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why that is. He *does* look good a lot of the time and *does* make some nice plays. But for whatever reason, they don't result in goals or points for Bennett.

Hope he can get on track after all the injuries. I thought by now we'd be able to count on him for 40 to 50 points a season.

... because in his 40 career games every time he threads a pass through multiple defenders like last night, it's goc or sutter getting it if he's lucky, or glass... or adams... or kobasew... or gibbons if he's lucky... or whoever

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think Greiss should get a chance to compete for the starter's job and I think for that to happen he needs to play more frequently.

However, as great as he has been he has not proven that he is a clear upgrade yet. Obviously it is no fault of his but he has only played 3 games.

Both men have played very well. I'm open to a competition but some here must understand that if Fleury keeps playing like this it is unlikely that Greiss wins that competition.

Why would there be a competition when Fleury just signed an extension?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Again, a week ago analytics users were writing about the dominance of KCH (specifically CH) and now "that line didnt work" because of Hornqvist.

Thinking isn't for everyone.

Edit: just to expand - Neal wasnt good enough for Sid. Now Hornqvist isn't? You've pretty much just removed the two ends of the spectrum. Personally, I think people who are saying this are wrong and are just trying to sound smart, but if that's what they believe, then they also pretty much have to believe that Kunitz and Dupuis should be on that line til they retire.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Again, a week ago analytics users were writing about the dominance of KCH (specifically CH) and now "that line didnt work" because of Hornqvist.

Edit: just to expand - Neal wasnt good enough for Sid. Now Hornqvist isn't? You've pretty much just removed the two ends of the spectrum. Personally, I think people who are saying this are wrong and are just trying to sound smart, but if that's what they believe, then they also pretty much have to believe that Kunitz and Dupuis should be on that line til they retire.

Yepp. This narrative that KCH wasn't working, when in reality it was extremely strong, is so bizarre. It seems as though some are trying to rationalize the decision by creating a false reality.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007

If Bennett continues to create scoring chances and make great plays, it will show up on the score sheet. This is a guy that had a PROD# of 22:51 during his rookie season. More ice time might help.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

There is no competition, and thats what us "yinzers" are whining about.
We already chose MAF by giving him an extension. It doesnt matter what Greiss do or not do. We already decided to go with MAF.

Nobody is saying Greiss should be our future starter, just that he never got the chance to even compete for it.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Hey don't look at me. If I was king Sid and Hornqvist would be riding to work on a couple's bike since the Neal trade.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

The argument is that KCH wasn't any more dominant against legit teams that pressured Sid than KCD was in the past.

We know Hornqvist works with Sid, but that line was not good enough to warrant keeping Malkin without a legit linemate.

Maybe if we give MJ some time to experiment, we'll like the results later on?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I think we may want to try next....

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau/Downie
Spaling-Sutter-Bennett
Sill-Adams-Comeau/Downie

Malkin may be better with Kunitz than he is with Hornqvist, unless we find another guy like Bennett for that LW who brings that line together. Sid & Horny have enough chemistry that going D-C-H may not be a drop off on the first line, while giving Malkin a guy he may gel with more.

But I would also really like to try Megna on in the middle 6, particularly if we trade Spaling, who's dead weight and expendable if we can bring in another forward.

If Spaling doesn't get traded this year, we will appreciate having his depth for the playoffs, but he's DEFINITELY not worth $2.2 for the bottom 6 next season. Megna may not be better than Spaling yet, but he will be by next season. Heck, same could be said about Rust the way things are going.
Those are the lines I'd like to see. Maybe give BB some time on Geno's right, once he gets going.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The argument is that KCH wasn't any more dominant against legit teams that pressured Sid than KCD was in the past.

We know Hornqvist works with Sid, but that line was not good enough to warrant keeping Malkin without a legit linemate.

yuck. you're kidding right?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

that line only produced two of the top-10 scoring leaders in the NHL through 14 games (while most of the other top-10 point producers had played more games). Clearly a large-enough sample size to determine just what those two can do together. I mean, if you don't have everything decided in 14 games, what good are you?

(Please, quote power play statistics. When you look at what % of points for the other top-10 players came on the PP, you'll see that, in such a short sample size, what Crosby and Hornqvist did at ES and on the PP is not really out of line. Now, if you had given it more than 14 games, maybe you could have made a determination on this one way or the other. But 14 games is apparently enough time to make concrete determinations)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
that line only produced two of the top-10 scoring leaders in the NHL through 14 games (while most of the other top-10 point producers had played more games). Clearly a large-enough sample size to determine just what those two can do together. I mean, if you don't have everything decided in 14 games, what good are you?

(Please, quote power play statistics. When you look at what % of points for the other top-10 players came on the PP, you'll see that, in such a short sample size, what Crosby and Hornqvist did at ES and on the PP is not really out of line. Now, if you had given it more than 14 games, maybe you could have made a determination on this one way or the other. But 14 games is apparently enough time to make concrete determinations)

You did not want that line together to start the season b/c it would screw Malkin over. I have no clue why you are now going off the deep end when MJ decides to put PH with Malkin (which was thought to be the plan all along in camp).

Again, KCH was a good line, but they weren't dictating against the tougher opponents this year. And their lack of ES production in the last few games is what it is. If Malkin doesn't pick up his game soon, sure, reunite them. The idea though is to create three scoring lines. That's been consistently stated by MJ. Our 2nd line wasn't scoring.

I think part of the angst is that we dont' want to admit that KCD is a more than serviceable line for now. They'll score. Hopefully Malkin will get going with PH b/c he certainly was not with Dupuis. And Sutter keeps his line going.

Last edited:

penguins2946*

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist combined for 12 ES goals in 14 games. Compare that to some of the other top lines in the league:

Pearson-Carter-Tofolli: 13 ES goals in 17 games
DSP-Getzlaf-Perry: 12 ES goals in 13 games
Benn-Spezza-Seguin: 15 ES goals in 16 games

I fail to see how KCH wasn't one of the best lines in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad