PGT: Dupuis 2, Haters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
good grief, 3 games and some yinzers already calling for greiss to be the #1 goalie? this is why we can't have nice things.

it's three games if you don't know what you're talking about. if you watched hockey outside the yinzer-land last season you'd know this is the norm for Greiss. he is starting material, but probably the fact that he's german doesn't exactly scream confidence for NA GM's...

Greiss will end up as the better goalie between him and MAF, this season and eventually for their respective careers...

JR crapped the bed big time here...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Probably b/c you want that to be the case. :laugh:

I'd love for Dupuis to be a great addition on Sid's line - it'd solve a lot of our problems. But I didn't think they did much of note outside of a goal on a low percentage Sid pass, and we know how this story ends. Pyrrhic victory and all that.

I thought Dupes had a very good game individually though.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not at all surprised that the second line still looked off. On top of a general lack of familiarity and cohesiveness, Malkin isn't going to fare wonderfully (outside of small sample sizes) with two straight line, non-finesse players. Horns is quickly becoming one of my favorites on the team... but finesse he is not.

It's not exactly ground breaking stuff but there needs to be a skill element on one side of that line... not all crash and bang. Preferably a shooter who can drift into the soft spots. All three guys were very often behind the net last night digging for pucks.

Spaling does some nice things on the depth lines, I guess. But he really has no business in the top six. Even as a stop gap.

Despite all of that, I didn't think Malkin had a terrible game, or anything. I actually think it's just a matter of time, now. I hate fighting after a clean check... but I admit that I really liked seeing him go after Dion after that hit. That tells me that he's at least engaged.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd love for Dupuis to be a great addition on Sid's line - it'd solve a lot of our problems. But I didn't think they did much of note outside of a goal on a low percentage Sid pass, and we know how this story ends. Pyrrhic victory and all that.

I thought Dupes had a very good game individually though.

They had 15 shots among them (KCD). I think they did a little more than just just a low percentage play.

They shouldn't be a line come spring, but they'll work fine for now. The game winning goal in the first game they were put back together points towards that being the case.

Malkin maybe had 1 or 2 dangerous shifts last night. That's not good.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I only caught the second period of last night's game, but I'm definitely growing concerned with Malkin's performance this season. Granted, he's been hamstrung with Dupuis and Comeau for most of the season...and granted, he's finally started pulling the trigger on the PP. But he's just not in the groove we've seen him in at times in the past. Thus far, I say he's looked like a good 1C this season, but this guy is the second best hockey player in the world. We need him to look like that.

penguins2946*

I still think that our best bet for the top-9 long term is:

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist
Trade-Malkin-Bennett
Dupuis-Sutter-Downie

Malkin needs some skill on his line for him to be fully effective, and Bennett brings that skill. While I have been adamant about not bringing in Stewart in the past, I do think he would fill our top-6 holes extremely well. We lack toughness and goal scoring ability in the top-6, and he certainly brings both of those. He would probably be the highest potential winger we could get at the deadline.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not at all surprised that the second line still looked off. On top of a general lack of familiarity and cohesiveness, Malkin isn't going to fare wonderfully (outside of small sample sizes) with two straight line, non-finesse players. Horns is quickly becoming one of my favorites on the team... but finesse he is not.

It's not exactly ground breaking stuff but there needs to be a skill element on one side of that line... not all crash and bang. Preferably a shooter who can drift into the soft spots. All three guys were very often behind the net last night digging for pucks.

Spaling does some nice things on the depth lines, I guess. But he really has no business in the top six. Even as a stop gap.

Despite all of that, I didn't think Malkin had a terrible game, or anything. I actually think it's just a matter of time, now. I hate fighting after a clean check... but I admit that I really liked seeing him go after Dion after that hit. That tells me that he's at least engaged.

Ya, it's obvious Malkin and Crosby both need a skilled puck carrier on their lines. But I think in due time Malkin will understand that Hornqvist is going to take a guy to the net and start using those lanes to get his shot off. It just takes time for guys to find their grove together.

Spaling was doing well on the third line and it seems a matter of time before BB gets up with Malkin. BB and Sutter may find that pre-season chemistry, but BB was drafted and has the pedigree to be a top sixer.

BB just has to do his part and leave zero doubt he should be promoted.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I only caught the second period of last night's game, but I'm definitely growing concerned with Malkin's performance this season. Granted, he's been hamstrung with Dupuis and Comeau for most of the season...and granted, he's finally started pulling the trigger on the PP. But he's just not in the groove we've seen him in at times in the past. Thus far, I say he's looked like a good 1C this season, but this guy is the second best hockey player in the world. We need him to look like that.

I'd be a lot more concerned if he were just clearly going through the motions.

I don't think that's the case, at all.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I'd be a lot more concerned if he were just clearly going through the motions.

I don't think that's the case, at all.

That's a good point. He's definitely engaged, which is great to see. But I'm nonetheless concerned that he's about 60-70% as good as he can be right now. Something needs to happen. At minimum, he obviously needs some skill to work with.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ya, it's obvious Malkin and Crosby both need a skilled puck carrier on their lines. But I think in due time Malkin will understand that Hornqvist is going to take a guy to the net and start using those lanes to get his shot off. It just takes time for guys to find their grove together.

Spaling was doing well on the third line and it seems a matter of time before BB gets up with Malkin. BB and Sutter may find that pre-season chemistry, but BB was drafted and has the pedigree to be a top sixer.

Yup. One game isn't much to go on, ya know?

Sutter had another nice game, individually. But that all righty third line seemed understandably awkward.

That's a good point. He's definitely engaged, which is great to see. But I'm nonetheless concerned that he's about 60-70% as good as he can be right now. Something needs to happen. At minimum, he obviously needs some skill to work with.

He's always taken a while to build some momentum at the beginning of the season. He actually got off to a much hotter start this year than I expected, when you look at the circumstances. If he's not able to at least find some sort of chemistry on his line by this time next month... I'll start to worry.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I hope he gets shifts with Malkin more instead of Sid. There was a sequence last night where you could just see Beau and Sid are oil and water. Beau is never going to be a top 6 forward on this team if he has to change his game to adapt to how Crosby wants him to play.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Dupuis IS gonna play in the top 6 pre-trade, atleast he's in an ideal spot. KCD or DCH are better than anything DM related.

It's quite clear Bennett, Downie, Comeau should be in for Spaling though.

BB/Downie/Comeau-Geno-Horny
Kunitz-Geno-BB/Downie/Comeau

Are all better than anything Spaling-Malkin-whoever.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bennett can just shoot the puck more and look great on Sid's wing. I don't think it's as much oil and water as D-M.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yup. One game isn't much to go on, ya know?

Sutter had another nice game, individually. But that all righty third line seemed understandably awkward.

Sutter is just a good all around player. I think the third line with BB will mesh, but I don't think it's what is best for this team.

I hope he gets shifts with Malkin more instead of Sid. There was a sequence last night where you could just see Beau and Sid are oil and water. Beau is never going to be a top 6 forward on this team if he has to change his game to adapt to how Crosby wants him to play.

I said a couple years ago that BB fits better with Malkin. However, I still believe he can play with Crosby. The problem is Crosby needs to let BB slow things down and draw people to him. I think having Kunitz there is another part of the problem, but what can you do?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Also, i'd like to talk about Zach Sill. I know this guy isn't getting a ton of ice time but he ain't doing much with it. I know Adams is a staple in this lineup still but getting Megna/Farnham(bring up 1 at a time and see what they can give you) some 4th line time seems like a no-brainer.

Farnham and Leblond should get a chance; Megna is better off in WBS unless a top-nine forward gets injured. I didn't watch the entire game, but I am pretty sure that Sill laid out Robidas. Adams and Sill haven't been too shabby. Are they replaceable? Absolutely.

But, it should be someone who provides size, grit, and can handle the dirty business.

Dupuis played well last night. I have no problem with him playing with Kunitz and Crosby for now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Missed most of the game, saw the main board thread. Saw the reply of the hit.

Did Horny get hurt? What happen to Sutter?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They had 15 shots among them (KCD). I think they did a little more than just just a low percentage play.

They shouldn't be a line come spring, but they'll work fine for now. The game winning goal in the first game they were put back together points towards that being the case.

There's never any doubt that KCD will amass shots or be "good enough" for the regular season. That has always been the case. But that's not my standard for a Crosby line, especially after seeing how it performed with Hornqvist. And if it stays a line and plays to its usual standard throughout the season, I have a hard time believing that ever-popular familiarity will be broken up on account of a deadline deal.

I'll give Geno a few games to get out of his post-traumatic Dupuis-Comeau Syndrome before I get concerned about him.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Thank god Dupuis was reunited with Sid/Kunitz. Things were getting boring around here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Missed most of the game, saw the main board thread. Saw the reply of the hit.

Did Horny get hurt? What happen to Sutter?

Horns got crushed by Phaneuf late in the game. Kind of a sooey from Despres. He popped right back up and is fine, AFAIK.

Sutter took a shot to the ear. Stitches but nothing major.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not worried because it's like game 2 back for Beau, but he didn't look great. I don't worry about it, but just for last night's game analysis - he was just average at best.

Yet he still showed that flash where he had patience and dished it to Despres for a good chance.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's never any doubt that KCD will amass shots or be "good enough" for the regular season.

And that's all this is right now. A game in November. You've been in this state of mind since the summer where the team has to be free of all complaints that were thrown Shero/DB's way and our roster needs to be playoff ready now. If you'd show even a small fraction of the patience you showed for the previous regime for years, you'd enjoy this season a whole lot more.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

the problem with things working fine now, is that they would most likely think it's a good option to go into the playoffs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And that's all this is right now. A game in November. You've been in this state of mind since the summer where the team has to be free of all complains that were thrown Shero/DB's way and our roster needed to be playoff ready now.

The state of mind that something should be proven different before its considered different, yeah. When things have been done differently and worked well, I've acknowledged and applauded them.

"Free of all complaints" is hardly the standard I'm holding the new regime to - virtually all the personnel issues that remained from the last one still remain, in spite of no shortage of opportunities to do things differently. I don't think I need to go through the laundry list to show that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad