Golf: PGA TOUR full schedule for 2022-23 season (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bryson should be a dark horse pick for Rome, and if Brooks falls out of the top 6 this week, let Bryson be the token LIV guy on the team.

People are talking about Glover being a possibility

If he somehow wins the BMW or Tour Championship, I think he might automatically qualify by being in Top6 in points.

And if he contends and plays well, could there still be a chance?

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
ENG
Tyrrell Hatton

USA
Jordan Spieth

KOR
Sungjae Im

USA
Chris Kirk

USA
Sam Burns
TOP 30 • TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP

USA
Sahith Theegala

ENG
Justin Rose

USA
Kurt Kitayama

USA
Denny McCarthy
34-34156.4001,1921,348.846

IRL
Seamus Power

It'll change this weekend, but those are the current in/out standings. @Filthy Dangles

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hovland would have been #1seed and starting 10 under if Fitzpatrick made the birdie on 18. Scotties to lose for 2nd straight year

F4Aal8Qa0AAduK_

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
What a back nine by Hovland. Posts a 28 on the back and a course record 61

That was one of the best 9s I've ever watched, in any tournament. Nuts.
I watched all 4 days, and it was great. Hovland just outplayed Scheffler and McIlroy on the back 9. Fitzpatrick came in 40th in the Fed Ex Cup Standings and finished 10th. Spieth T34 (+1) limped into 29th place, and was unimpressive.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t respect the starting strokes. The Tour Championship has become my least favorite event.

It should be a straight up tournament. No one cares if the winner of the Fed Ex Cup is the same as the winner of the tournament. When you play the best during a week and most likely don’t get credit for a win, I think it makes a mockery of the tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Actually, the US Junior Am was contested last weekend, and I thought it was very entertaining. The final four were four of the best players on the Junior Circuit. No fluke runs this year into the final four. The winner was Nicholas Dunlap, who hits it a mile and has been the form player on the Junior Circuit in 2021. He has one more year and then he’ll head to Alabama. Probably their best recruit since JT. That program has struggled a lot in recent years.
Two years later wins the US Amateur. Dominated the amateur circuit this summer too.

I watched a lot more of the Am this week than the Tour. Cherry Hills is great too.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I don’t respect the starting strokes. The Tour Championship has become my least favorite event. It should be a straight up tournament. No one cares if the winner of the Fed Ex Cup is the same as the winner of the tournament. When you play the best during a week and most likely don’t get credit for a win, I think it makes a mockery of the tournament.
Only 5 No. 1 seeds entering the Tour Championship went on to win the FedEx Cup title.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The old system of not winning the TC but winning the FedEx Cup was probably worse.

There really isn't a good fix. I'd say match play but match play can be good or can be very boring. If big dogs get knocked out before the weekend, good luck with viewership.

Have to accept the PGAT Playoffs just kinda suck but we still watch anyway.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I don’t respect the starting strokes. The Tour Championship has become my least favorite event. It should be a straight up tournament. No one cares if the winner of the Fed Ex Cup is the same as the winner of the tournament. When you play the best during a week and most likely don’t get credit for a win, I think it makes a mockery of the tournament.

Edit: Morikawa shot 61 today. I hope he makes the Ryder Cup.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yes, the Tour Championship and its ever-changing format + limited field doesn't really appeal to me.

The tournament to watch this week is in Czechia, where nearly all of the European Ryder Cup bubble boys are playing. Some notables playing well... Meronk T11, Bobby MacIntyre T7, Nicolai Hojgaard T2, Aberg T21. I've always written off Yannik Paul, the German who's barely played any good tournaments in his career, as a potential captain's pick, but he's tied with Mac at T7 and is close behind him in points qualifying, so it's very possible that he bumps the Scot out and takes an automatic spot for himself. Yannik Paul to the Ryder Cup? Not on my bingo card.

Hoping for a nice week from young Adrien Dumont de Chassart, the Belgian who's taken a similar path this year as Aberg, albeit on the Korn Ferry rather than the PGA Tour. He's played so well in his limited KFT starts that he's already locked up a Tour card for next season. I'm sure he'd need to bag a win either this week or next week to have a shot at a pick but he's one to watch.

• Wow

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
ADDC and Alex Fitz if they continue the next two weeks what they've done all summer gotta get more consideration than they are getting. Pretty pedestrian round 1's, but we'll see the next two weeks how that goes. I really don't know why Aberg is viewed as so much ahead of them to make the team. It's probably hype based with Aberg being #1 in PGA Tour U, but I'm not sure it's deserved on how they've all played this summer.

I think there should really be about 4 Euro spots up for grabs. Wouldn't trust Meronk because he hasn't done it yet against the best in the world consistently. And Straka would worry me terribly. He's either great or terrible. There's almost no in-between with him. He'll be the most erratic player at the Ryder Cup, although he still may be one of the 12 best options. Bobby Mac and Aberg probably have the last two spots, but if ADDC or Alex Fitz can outplay them the next few weeks, I think they have a decent case. Bobby Mac is cruising based off a few results and the idea that he's been close a few recent Ryder Cups to making it. Data Golf has him as the 26th best Euro.

I might go Aberg, ADDC, Alex Fitz, and then Straka. Might sound crazy to go with so many young guys, but Adrian Meronk against hypothetically Xander Schauffele on Sunday is almost like a guaranteed 4 and 3 loss, and kind of the formula for how I think the Americans win on European soil. A much more naturally talented team overwhelms the bottom-end of the Euro lineup that is filled with a few guys who don't really belong talent-wise at a Ryder Cup (Meronk, MacIntyre, Paul, etc.).

Edit: Forgot Nicolai. Yeah, throw him into that Aberg, ADDC, Alex Fitz discussion. Would take 3 of the young guys. When the team is picked, whichever of them have the best records this summer.

Last edited:

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... and kind of the formula for how I think the Americans win on European soil. A much more naturally talented team overwhelms the bottom-end of the Euro lineup that is filled with a few guys who don't really belong talent-wise at a Ryder Cup (Meronk, MacIntyre, Paul, etc.).
I don't disagree in theory, but the US have choked for 30 years in Europe.

The US team I'd like to see are Scheffler, Cantlay, Schauffele, Homa, Harman, Clark, Spieth, and Koepka.

For the rest of the team (and the alternate if someone gets injured or tests positive prior to the opening ceremonies) I'd take five of these guys Young, Bradley, Finau, Morikawa, Zalatoris, and Burns.

Which 12 would you guys take?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I think Meronk's being sold short there, especially if the competition is Straka and Alex Fitz. All accounts say that Marco Simone is going to be heavy emphasis on the driver, and Meronk is top-10 in the world in strokes gained off the tee according to Data Golf (as is Aberg, though on limited sample size of course). He's also just much more consistent than either of those first two players. I think he's close to a lock, and that's before noting that he won at Marco Simone earlier this year at the Italian Open.

The recent No Laying Up podcast makes it sound as though, based on current points standings, the first five picks for Europe are almost locked in as Fitz, Rose, Lowry, Meronk, and Straka, with Aberg as the most likely to be 6th. Straka sticks out to me as a question mark, and MacIntyre as a qualifier does too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Meronk's being sold short there, especially if the competition is Straka and Alex Fitz. All accounts say that Marco Simone is going to be heavy emphasis on the driver, and Meronk is top-10 in the world in strokes gained off the tee according to Data Golf (as is Aberg, though on limited sample size of course). He's also just much more consistent than either of those first two players. I think he's close to a lock, and that's before noting that he won at Marco Simone earlier this year at the Italian Open.

The recent No Laying Up podcast makes it sound as though, based on current points standings, the first five picks for Europe are almost locked in as Fitz, Rose, Lowry, Meronk, and Straka, with Aberg as the most likely to be 6th. Straka sticks out to me as a question mark, and MacIntyre as a qualifier does too.
I grant you that Meronk has been good this year, won on the course, and is probably a good fit for the course, but his general profile is very sketchy. He's a 30 year old career Euro Tour or Challenge Tour guy who has never played well in the majors and has no real experience on the PGA Tour. Could he be a guy with staying power? Sure, but he's like the exact type of guy that usually we'd safely assume will never get close to making another Ryder Cup team. The Euro Tour has declined a lot. It's barely any better than the Korn Ferry Tour anymore.

OTOH, Straka has won two years in a row on the PGA Tour. He also has two top 10 finishes in majors this year. His good golf is very good. It's honestly like top 5 on that Euro team. I agree he can be pretty bad. That would worry me for sure, but when the other options are players who are probably losing you matches anyway because they aren't very good, I think you roll the dice.

I'd want high ceiling players and young guys. The "overachieving season career Euro tour guys" are a recipe to be overwhelmed on talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't disagree in theory, but the US have choked for 30 years in Europe.

The US team I'd like to see are Scheffler, Cantlay, Schauffele, Homa, Harman, Clark, Spieth, and Koepka.

For the rest of the team (and the alternate if someone gets injured or tests positive prior to the opening ceremonies) I'd take five of these guys Young, Bradley, Finau, Morikawa, Zalatoris, and Burns.

Which 12 would you guys take?
Yeah, I think that's fair. I think the difference is that this is a new era for the USA. Younger teams, more committed to the Ryder Cup, and they seem to get along a lot better with each other. These players all grew up playing in the same tournaments from like 13 or 14 because of the AJGA and how big college golf has gotten.

Tiger and Phil were the leaders of so many teams, and they were bad at the Ryder Cup. Tiger and Phil didn't get along for so many years. Do you remember the year Hal Sutton paired them together and it went terribly? What about Tiger suggesting players should be paid for the Ryder Cup? Phil's last Ryder Cup match he literally conceded on the tee of one of the holes. As much as I was a fan of Tiger (when he was still an active golfer), the Ryder Cup was not his thing and neither was it for Phil.

I think it's going to be very close though. USA has the deeper team, but best Euro players have been better this year and the USA team has a lot of putting issues. Only like 2-3 of them are putting well this year.

Reactions: Elvis P
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad