Golf: PGA TOUR full schedule for 2022-23 season (post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Explain this to me like I am 8

The golf ball will not travel as far.

Basically a response to the increased distance over years from technology and training, courses just couldn’t keep up. You can’t lengthen a lot of courses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Also, a huge distinction is it seems to be a *universal* rollback and not bifurcation (where pros and ams use different balls/equipment).

So it seems like the weekend golfer will also be impacted by this too. The titelist, callaway etc. balls you buy from Dicks or PGAT Superstore etc will be rolledback as well.

People are gonna start buying up previous years editions of balls before the switch. I probably will.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also, a huge distinction is it seems to be a *universal* rollback and not bifurcation (where pros and ams use different balls/equipment).

So it seems like the weekend golfer will also be impacted by this too. The titelist, callaway etc. balls you buy from Dicks or PGAT Superstore etc will be rolledback as well.

People are gonna start buying up previous years editions of balls before the switch. I probably will.
Good idea

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
PGA Tour wasn't supportive of Bifurcation and Local Rules where pro's would be forced to play a rolled-back ball.

Jay Monahan from earlier this year.

"Although there has been some level of support for limiting future increases, there is widespread and significant belief the proposed modified local rule is not warranted and is not in the best interest of the game.

Following a discussion on the topic at a recent PAC meeting, we have notified the USGA and R&A that while the PGA Tour is committed to collaborating with them -- and all industry partners -- to arrive at a solution that will best serve our players, our fans and the game at all levels, we are not able to support the MLR as proposed. "

What I don't get is how USGA and R&A is convincing or forcing manufacturers to do a universal rollback. Are they bound by rule/law, being paid money etc.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
PGA Tour wasn't supportive of Bifurcation and Local Rules where pro's would be forced to play a rolled-back ball.

Jay Monahan from earlier this year.

"Although there has been some level of support for limiting future increases, there is widespread and significant belief the proposed modified local rule is not warranted and is not in the best interest of the game.

Following a discussion on the topic at a recent PAC meeting, we have notified the USGA and R&A that while the PGA Tour is committed to collaborating with them -- and all industry partners -- to arrive at a solution that will best serve our players, our fans and the game at all levels, we are not able to support the MLR as proposed. "

What I don't get is how USGA and R&A is convincing or forcing manufacturers to do a universal rollback. Are they bound by rule/law, being paid money etc.
What I read the manufacturers agreed with the pros. Maybe don’t want to different production lines.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
What percent of golfers in the U.S. play in a USGA associated competition each year?

I.e. what do other golf ball manufacturers do when, say Vice Golf or Snell Golf, tell the USGA to f*** off and keep making golf balls that go just as far as now, are cheaper than the big brand golf balls, and can freely be used by the vast majority of golfers?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What percent of golfers in the U.S. play in a USGA associated competition each year?

I.e. what do other golf ball manufacturers do when, say Vice Golf or Snell Golf, tell the USGA to f*** off and keep making golf balls that go just as far as now, are cheaper than the big brand golf balls, and can freely be used by the vast majority of golfers?

Then their balls wouldn't be allowed to be used in tournaments like US Open, US Am, British Open, Walker Cup, Senior Open etc. So they would be forced to make a decision at that point.

I don't think anyone on the PGA Tour plays those balls, I've never seen it. I'm not sure how many high level players playing in tournaments sanctioned by USGA and RnA would be either.

PGA Tour says they would not be complying with any local rule, i'm sure that will change. This is all years away too, like late 2020's...with many details to be sorted out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the PGA Tour is starting to go back to what it was. The depth had watered down golf for so long. Too many players that can win on any given week. The last 15 years no one has been able to consistently year after year win like 5 times a year.

Obviously the majors are still going to define a lot, but we don't know if LIV players will be allowed in going forward and their schedule may make it more difficult for them.

I know people say this sucks, but I don't necessarily feel that way. It's merely different. More star power and dominance may be what we see and good for golf instead of the top 20 beat each other's brains in for 20 events a year, and split those events. Now we've subtracted like 8 of those, and maybe we'll enjoy the product more.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

People are making a big deal of this on Twitter…in regards to PGA tour financially

See if it has any domino effect with other sponsors

Their pitch has to be different than asking their sponsors to help them compete financially with Saudi Arabia. No company is going to give them 500M.

They have to find a way to make it work knowing that they are at a financial disadvantage. They aren’t going to outspend a rich oil country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad