Pettersson or Dahlin

Who do you want to start a franchise?

• Pettersson

• Dahlin

Results are only viewable after voting.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I’m saying if Dahlin and Pettersson both stay the same Pettersson would be the obvious choice and it’s not even close. People are choosing Dahlin based on an if.
EP has 2 years on Dahlin, that's massive development time. It's not exactly a smart statement that a rookie who doesn't get any better will be worse than a player with extra development time. EP is in his D2, Dahlin is in his D1.

Dahlin is on pace for 38 points as a rookie D in his d1 year. That's better than Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, Rielly, Jones all had in their rookie years.

If you compared d + 1 EP vs d + 1 Dahlin it's not even a contest who the better choice would be. The only reason EP has an edge is because he's had an extra year of development on Dahlin.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
EP has 2 years on Dahlin, that's massive development time. It's not exactly a smart statement that a rookie who doesn't get any better will be worse than a player with extra development time. EP is in his D2, Dahlin is in his D1.

Dahlin is on pace for 38 points as a rookie D in his d1 year. That's better than Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, Rielly, Jones all had in their rookie years.

If you compared d + 1 EP vs d + 1 Dahlin it's not even a contest who the better choice would be. The only reason EP has an edge is because he's had an extra year of development on Dahlin.

How many years does Pettersson have on Dahlin? Is it one or two? Because both of those answers are in this post. Make up your mind.

There are examples going both ways. Tyler Myers scored 50 points in his rookie season playing as a very young player and he regressed ever since. We’ve seen this before with highly touted and highly drafted defense men from Buffalo. Have you already forgotten about him?

It’s not guaranteed that Dahlin even maintains his current pace never mind that he will exceed it in subsequent seasons. Like Myers, he could still top out as a good 2nd pairing defense man.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
How many years does Pettersson have on Dahlin? Is it one or two? Because both of those answers are in this post. Make up your mind.

There are examples going both ways. Tyler Myers scored 50 points in his rookie season playing as a very young player and he regressed ever since.

It’s not guaranteed that Dahlin even maintains his current pace never mind that he will exceed it in subsequent seasons. Like Myers, he could still top out as a good 2nd pairing defense man.
LMAO...genius, it's not "make up your mind". EP is born in 1998, Dahlin 2000. EP had a late birthday so he was in the 2017 draft to Dahlin's 2018 respectively. It's not that hard to follow along, their actual ages are separated by almost 2 years but EP's late birthday allowed him to enter in 2017.

Tyler Myers put up 48 points in his D + 2 year, not his D + 1 like Dahlin is in. Myers also wasn't a #1 pick either. Nobody expected him to put up the numbers he did and to nobody's surprise, he hasn't come close to his rookie season since.

Dahlin was touted as a borderline generational talent, especially among defensemen and so far he's outperformed the elites at their respective rookie season. Not to mention Dahlin has also helped lift the Sabres from a bottom 5 team like the Nucks into a top 10 team so far this season.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
LMAO...genius, it's not "make up your mind". EP is born in 1998, Dahlin 2000. EP had a late birthday so he was in the 2017 draft to Dahlin's 2018 respectively. It's not that hard to follow along, their actual ages are separated by almost 2 years but EP's late birthday allowed him to enter in 2017.

Tyler Myers put up 48 points in his D + 2 year, not his D + 1 like Dahlin is in. Myers also wasn't a #1 pick either. Nobody expected him to put up the numbers he did and to nobody's surprise, he hasn't come close to his rookie season since.

Dahlin was touted as a borderline generational talent, especially among defensemen and so far he's outperformed the elites at their respective rookie season. Not to mention Dahlin has also helped lift the Sabres from a bottom 5 team like the Nucks into a top 10 team so far this season.

So when Tyler Myers outperforms the elites in his rookie season and regresses doesn’t that also open up the possibility for Dahlin to do the same? There’s reason to believe Dahlin won’t progress as much as other 18 year olds since the main reason why 18 year olds have room to grow is they literally haven’t finished growing. Dahlin however already has a quite physically maturely developed body for his age so his room to grow is a lot less.

Also do you know what a year is? A year is 12 months or 365 or 366 days on a leap year. The difference between EP and Dahlin’s birthdays is 1 year and 5 months. You don’t get to round up, if anything it should be rounded down because developmentally they’re only 1 year apart.

And yeah I don’t care what Dahlin was touted as I care what he does. Alexandre Daigle and Nail Yakupov we’re highly touted too.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
So when Tyler Myers outperforms the elites in his rookie season and regresses doesn’t that also open up the possibility for Dahlin to do the same? There’s reason to believe Dahlin won’t progress as much as other 18 year olds since the main reason why 18 year olds have room to grow is they literally haven’t finished growing. Dahlin however already has a quite physically maturely developed body for his age so his room to grow is a lot less.

Also do you know what a year is? A year is 12 months or 365 or 366 days on a leap year. The difference between EP and Dahlin’s birthdays is 1 year and 5 months. You don’t get to round up, if anything it should be rounded down because developmentally they’re only 1 year apart.

And yeah I don’t care what Dahlin was touted as I care what he does. Alexandre Daigle and Nail Yakupov we’re highly touted too.
1. there are examples of forwards who don't match their rookie production either. You're comparing a 12OA pick to a 1OA pick.

2. Dahlin is listed at 190, there's no reason why he can't be at 200lbs in a few years. Morgan Rielly was drafted under 200lbs and he's like 215lbs now and is still the best skater on the team.

3. They're actually 1.5 years apart in age but obviously that doesn't mean anything to you.

It's actually hilarious to hear your reasoning for why an 18 year old is most likely done developing while a 20 year old isn't.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Dahlin now? In the future, sure, I’m not sure how you defend the choice in the present.

Look at his underlying numbers. On pace for arguably the best rookie season offensively in ages (better than Ekblad), he's dominating his current usage and he's borderline elite defensively already. EP is amazing, but Dahlin has that EK type potential where he's not only going to challenge for best D, but also top 5-10 player in the league solidified.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Yakupov was lessly touted than Hischier and they considered both classes relatively weak....Dahlin had hype going from 2 years back. Myers and Dahlin represent 2 different type of players...Myers was hesitant to hit or get physical which is laughable for 6'7 D...Dahlin is hesitant at absolutely nothing not even afraid to do what looks impossible at the time. His head is up at all times even when deking around several players traits that even most of the best simply can't do and can't simply be taught. Dahlin isn't being sheltered like Myers was either...he's playing with Bogosian and now is playing big minutes regularly yet shows no fatigue at all even in a game where he played 29+ minutes.

Last edited:

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
Look at his underlying numbers. On pace for arguably the best rookie season offensively in ages (better than Ekblad), he's dominating his current usage and he's borderline elite defensively already. EP is amazing, but Dahlin has that EK type potential where he's not only going to challenge for best D, but also top 5-10 player in the league solidified.
Pettersson has the potential to be a top 5-10 player in the league as well though. They are the best two players from the last two drafts. Of course more kids will come in like Jack Hughes and Alexis Lafreniere to compete for those positions but Dahlin and Pettersson will both be in that discussion in 5 years no doubt.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008

There are examples going both ways. Tyler Myers scored 50 points in his rookie season playing as a very young player and he regressed ever since. We’ve seen this before with highly touted and highly drafted defense men from Buffalo. Have you already forgotten about him?

I'm curious why you think Dahlin will regress? History shows us that unless you are a generational forward, you will be inconsistent offensively.

I fully expect Pettersson to have down years throughout his 20s, you are talking about EP as if he's going to score 80+ points every year, I doubt it. He will have off years where he only gets 55 to 65 points.

In this era, top defenseman are more consistent, not forwards.

Taylor Hall, John Tavares, Stamkos, Claude Giroux and several other 'star forwards' from this era had thier down years, once Pettersson starts to decline and become a 60 point scorer, the canucks fans will jump off his bandwagon and downplay him.

I'm sure most people here would take Karlsson and Doughty over Stamkos, many people here would take Hedman over Tavares, nothing wrong with taking Dahlin over Pettersson.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
EP has always been over looked. Guys like pronman had him ranked like 19th in the 2017 draft. Too skinny. Can't play on NHL ice. Even after his historical SHL season , people actually thought Middlestadt was better than him. The majority even thought svechnikov was better. I hope people continue to doubt him because it's going to be exciting to prove them wrong.

EP and Dahlin will be Sweden's top 2 players for the next decade

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
I'm curious why you think Dahlin will regress? History shows us that unless you are a generational forward, you will be inconsistent offensively.

I fully expect Pettersson to have down years throughout his 20s, you are talking about EP as if he's going to score 80+ points every year, I doubt it. He will have off years where he only gets 55 to 65 points.

Taylor Hall, John Tavares, Stamkos, Claude Giroux and several other 'star forwards' from this era had thier down years, once Pettersson starts to decline and become a 60 point scorer, the canucks fans will jump off his bandwagon and downplay him.

I'm sure most people here would take Karlsson and Doughty over Stamkos, many people here would take Hedman over Tavares, nothing wrong with taking Dahlin over Pettersson.
"Once Pettersson starts to decline" so are you talking about the tail end of his career or do you have a crystal ball and just know these things?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

I'm not saying Dahlin will regress I'm saying he's not very good right now and there's even a chance that he will regress.

By the way. Not a single person would've taken Hedman in his 18 year old season when only scored 20 points and struggled defensively over 19-20 year old, 50 goal Stamkos. Not one.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm not saying Dahlin will regress I'm saying he's not very good right now and there's even a chance that he will regress.

By the way. Not one person would've taken 18 year old Hedman who only scored 20 points and struggled defensively, over 19 year old 55 goal Stamkos. Not one.
:help:

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

"Best defenseman on the Buffalo Sabres" isn't exactly an impressive title. Maybe we have different definitions of "very good" because I don't think he's been very good but I do think Dahlin has been good.

His point totals leave much to be desired. The points he does have are mostly assists where he's making routine passes to teammates that eventually end up on Jeff Skinner's stick. When I watch him play I'm just not that impressed. He turns the puck over a lot more than people talk about and he doesn't make up for it offensively. I don't see a generational player or Bobby Orr, that's for damn sure. Kid is a victim of the hype, he'll never be able to live up to it.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Yakupov was lessly touted than Hischier and they considered both classes relatively weak....Dahlin had hype going from 2 years back. Myers and Dahlin represent 2 different type of players...Myers was hesitant to hit or get physical which is laughable for 6'7 D...Dahlin is hesitant at absolutely nothing not even afraid to do what looks impossible at the time. His head is up at all times even when deking around several players traits that even most of the best simply can't do and can't simply be taught. Dahlin isn't being sheltered like Myers was either...he's playing with Bogosian and now is playing big minutes regularly yet shows no fatigue at all even in a game where he played 29+ minutes.

I don't care about hype I care about results. Look, I'm an open minded person. Show me some footage of Dahlin you think makes him better than Pettersson. I'm not infallible, maybe I missed something about him. Then I'll show you some footage of Pettersson and we can go from there.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
"Best defenseman on the Buffalo Sabres" isn't exactly an impressive title. Maybe we have different definitions of "very good" because I don't think he's been very good but I do think Dahlin has been good.

His point totals leave much to be desired. The points he does have are mostly assists where he's making routine passes to teammates that eventually end up on Jeff Skinner's stick. When I watch him play I'm just not that impressed. He turns the puck over a lot more than people talk about and he doesn't make up for it offensively. I don't see a generational player or Bobby Orr, that's for damn sure. Kid is a victim of the hype, he'll never be able to live up to it.
Best forward on the Canucks sure is impressive though right? :dunce: I'm not even going to address the rest of the post because its all just total bs. He's +6 even though his point totals aren't that great indicating that the Sabres are literally outscoring the other team on the ice when he's playing and even the advanced metrics give the Sabres more chances than their opponents when he is on the ice. He doesn't just make routine passes that's enough to know you have watched anything. Eichel basically missed an EN tonight when Dahlin fed him a no look pass in the 1st period...

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I had a long well thought out post about how I would take Pettersson but in that I convinced myself I was wrong and switched to Dahlin.

D taken at the top half of the first bust far more often than C's taken at the top half of the first so having Dahlin would make your life a lot easier. #1C's are regularly available down to around 8 while star Dmen show up whenever the **** they feel like

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

EP broke every record in the SHL. He could have easily put up 60+ last year in the nhl. He just didn't get the opportunity. You act as if EP was trash last season.

And he's also on pace to produce less than ekblads rookie season. But yea

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

only 1 year difference

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad