Pettersson or Dahlin

Who do you want to start a franchise?

• Pettersson

• Dahlin

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
And Dahlin likely loses by a landslide if he isn't a 1st overall pick. Your point?
lol at this comment. Pick position is irrelevant.

Anyone who watched Dahlin would pick Dahlin AINEC Dahlin is 18 Petersson is 20.

When Dahlin is 20 He will be the best defenceman in the league.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pettersson. He doesn’t really need to work on anything. Dhalin needs to work on his defensive game.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Pick position is irrevelant? Lmao:laugh:
Thats right. Please tell me what does pick position have to do with what player you would pick?

You really cant be serious. I guess you would probably spit on Datsyuk and gush over Daigle. Maybe you are a Stefan fan too? Sad.

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Thats right. Please tell me what does pick position have to do with what player you would pick?

You really cant be serious. I guess you would probably spit on Datsyuk and gush over Daigle. Sad.

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion lol. This isn't about drafting, it's about 1st overall hype

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
That's completely irrelevant to the discussion lol. This isn't about drafting, it's about 1st overall hype
Its not about hype lmao. Just wow, please step back from the keyboard. Dahlin is 18 playing 25 minutes a game, powerplay, 3 on 3 in overtime and is 6th in overall rookie scoring and 40th for defencemen, named rookie of the month for november, He is 18, Pettersson in 20. I am beginning to think you never watched Dahlin play or understand what that means at 18.

So if I get this right you are trying to say people who are voting for Dahlin or doing it because draft Hype? Lmao. Forgive me, you right, its all hype.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I like Dahlin but the “he’s 18” comments need to stop.

There’s no guarantee he progresses any further than the player he is today.

Is it highly likely he will progress? Yes. But then you have to say it’s highly likely that Pettersson also improves because he just turned 20. And it’s still an if. And right now Pettersson is playing at a higher level than Dahlin. I can’t blame myself for picking Pettersson right now. They’re probably both going to be the best player in their respective drafts so it’s quite close.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Dahlin is a great talent for sure, but hen you look at past Stanley Cup winners, they all revolve around an elite centre. A franchise centreman has more impact on the game than a franchise defenseman.

Look at San Jose, they have the equivalent one two punch on defense as having Taveres and Matthews. San Jose is about average right now.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I think it's fair to say that these two may be the best U-21 players/prospects at their respective positions.

With that in mind, the question becomes: "What is more important to your franchise?"

Both players have terrific all-around ability, with both the willingness and intelligence to defend in earnest.

So, do you take a guy who very well could be a Hart-level centre in his prime, someone who could post 100+ points and play on your top PK unit if needed? Or do you take a guy that could win multiple Norrises and put up 60 points while shutting down the opposition's top forwards?

Like so many other arguments of this ilk, there's no right or wrong answer here. It depends on need of the organization above all else. In Buffalo's case, with Eichel already locking down the #1C spot for the next decade, I would take Dahlin without blinking. In Vancouver's, probably Pettersson because there really isn't a replacement for a true franchise center in this league.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Its not about hype lmao. Just wow, please step back from the keyboard. Dahlin is 18 playing 25 minutes a game, powerplay, 3 on 3 in overtime and is 6th in overall rookie scoring and 40th for defencemen, named rookie of the month for november, He is 18, Pettersson in 20. I am beginning to think you never watched Dahlin play or understand what that means at 18.

So if I get this right you are trying to say people who are voting for Dahlin or doing it because draft Hype? Lmao. Forgive me, you right, its all hype.
Dahlin is having a great season, and nobody is denying that. However Pettersson also have been amazing this season.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Did you read what I said? That's why he's getting more recognition/votes than someone like Pettersson would lol. Some people that have never seen Dahlin play only vote based off the "generational" hype he has been getting since last year and before

I'm not saying he's bad or something. He's obviously gonna be great, but it's not like he should be running away with this poll. It's where it should be. Fun fact for you: I've watched all but maybe 3 of Dahlin's games this season.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

He's playing 20 minutes a game. He's played over 25 minutes twice and one was an OT game. Minutes played is an overrated statistic to judge a defenceman. Ristolainen is the one who averages 25 minutes a game.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

Is it highly likely he will progress? Yes. But then you have to say it’s highly likely that Pettersson also improves because he just turned 20. And it’s still an if. And right now Pettersson is playing at a higher level than Dahlin. I can’t blame myself for picking Pettersson right now. They’re probably both going to be the best player in their respective drafts so it’s quite close.
yeah but its a safe bet to say a an 18 year old defenseman will be considerably better barring injuries to anyone with a logical thinking brain. He doesn't have IQ problems like any other defenseman had that had solid starts but don't progress much. He has literally gotten better the more he has played this season....the 2nd month was a step above the 1st month of play.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
yeah but its a safe bet to say a an 18 year old defenseman will be considerably better barring injuries to anyone with a logical thinking brain. He doesn't have IQ problems like any other defenseman had that had solid starts but don't progress much. He has literally gotten better the more he has played this season....the 2nd month was a step above the 1st month of play.

What about a player who just turned 20 weeks ago who had historical numbers at 18 and 19 just albiet not in the NHL due to technicalities (late birthday ) and being 160 pounds. Who is also having an amazing rookie year. Who also has insane IQ and skill? Any argument you make for Dahlin you can make for EP moving forward.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
What about a player who just turned 20 weeks ago who had historical numbers at 18 and 19 just albiet not in the NHL due to technicalities (late birthday ) and being 160 pounds. Who is also having an amazing rookie year. Who also has insane IQ and skill? Any argument you make for Dahlin you can make for EP moving forward.
a forward doing it at his age is a lot more common by comparison though....Barzal just put up PPG+ just last year and this year scoring is crazy high overall enough that one team is currently at a 4 GPG pace. Dahlin can do everything but score from the point often which can easily change once he adds more power to his shot as he ages. How often do you see a D in any league trying to skate around 3+ opposing players and actually pull it off often?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
a forward doing it at his age is a lot more common by comparison though....Barzal just put up PPG+ just last year and this year scoring is crazy high overall enough that one team is currently at a 4 GPG pace.

Mainly because the sample size is bigger. Projecting into their primes, you can make an argument for either player.

18 year old dmen in the NHL have such a small sample size. And yes I've heard the "they are in the NHL for a reason" argument a billion times. But if you made every single NHL dman play at 18 im sure a few will fluke 40 point seasons over a span of decades. EP wasn't in the NHL at 18 not because of anything talent or hockey related. So age is a weird comparison to make. It's about what they will be at 25.

Alfapet

Oct 26, 2007
Imo, their potential is pretty equal. However, Pettersson is a bit more proven so I choose him. I also prefer the 1C over the 1D (which I know many will disagree on).

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

So Nucks prospects can see development in their game without question but we have to wait and see for other teams prospects? Interesting logic you Nucks fans got.

Reactions: Hollywood North

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
So Nucks prospects can see development in their game without question but we have to wait and see for other teams prospects? Interesting logic you Nucks fans got.

I’m saying if Dahlin and Pettersson both stay the same Pettersson would be the obvious choice and it’s not even close. People are choosing Dahlin based on an if.

Mar 26, 2010
Pettersson. He doesn’t really need to work on anything. Dhalin needs to work on his defensive game.
He is a skinny 140 lbs twig. Once D men start playing him hard, like the hit he had earlier in the year, he will be invisible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad