Seravalli: Pettersson extension could be finalized in the next few days

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
But he doesn’t want to play in Canada or some other bullshit.

Players don't leave Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver. These three cities transcend Canada.

It’s overblown. Winnipeg just re-signed a couple of guys to long term deals with one of them being American. I think Connor will re-sign too when his times comes.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And what did the Kings overpaying their centers have to do with EP? Oh right a thinly veiled jab. Don't act like i started it
You absolutely did. You said the Canucks’ window is going to slam shut as soon as they sign their franchise center to a long term extension insinuating this contract is going to be an egregious overpayment. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not happening. He’ll be traded before the deadline.
I was thinking the same. The club wants clarity on EP 40’s future before the TDL. If he’s not signed then moving him will happen, but (where I differ with you) it will be in the summer.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You absolutely did. You said the Canucks’ window is going to slam shut as soon as they sign their franchise center to a long term extension insinuating this contract is going to be an egregious overpayment. Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it.
You mean to say I talked about EP's potential contract in a thread about EP's potential contract? Wow how dare I. That wasn't even intended as a shot, just an observation.

You're the one who brought up the Kings, who are irrelevant to the conversation. You're the one dishing it out and not being able to take it

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You mean to say I talked about EP's potential contract in a thread about EP's potential contract? Wow how dare I. That wasn't even intended as a shot, just an observation.

You're the one who brought up the Kings, who are irrelevant to the conversation. You're the one dishing it out and not being able to take it
They’re not irrelevant to the conversation since, you, a “Leafs and Kings” fan, made the ridiculous comment. I simply replied to your comment that it could be worse, as evidenced by the centers leading the way for LA.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
They’re not irrelevant to the conversation since, you, a “Kings and Leafs fan”, made the ridiculous comment. I simply replied to your comment that it could be worse, as evidenced by the centers leading the way for LA.
Who I cheer for is irrelevant. You can't take a criticism about a contract that's not even signed yet without taking shots at whatever team someone else likes, as some sad attempt to make it "personal"

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Who I cheer for is irrelevant. You can't take a criticism about a contract that's not even signed yet without taking shots at whatever team someone else likes, as some sad attempt to make it "personal"
You’re the one talking about other teams’ window’s closing because of some silly stat you came up with. My comment was simply a narrative that if my team signing their franchise center is a bad sign, it can always be worse.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Pettersson to be traded.
His statement last night;

“I mean, I haven't lied,” Pettersson told Sportsnet. “I'm an honest guy, I like to think, and I haven't said anything else (about it). I haven't said anything I'm not doing. It's a lot of noise, of course. I'm human, I hear it and I'm trying to focus on what I can control.”

This is AFTER the supposed negotiations.

The negotiating was likely over Hronek's contract

OR

A Canuck ultimatum, the need to know.

IF there is a deal it will be very short term.

Wait for Davidson. Columbus!

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum
Feb 19, 2018
Usually when this type of report gets leaked it gets done fairly quickly after. Canucks are a team that seem to put things out on a Friday so look for this to be announced tomorrow.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
If it's 8 years and in the 12's, I think both sides leave pretty happy.
I agree. An 8 year deal takes him through his prime and I honestly am surprised it could be that long. Starts with 12 is a-okay to my eye too. People screeching overpay are behind the times in terms of standard contracts for star players and the behaviour of the salary cap. But it’s always been that way. I remember it 15 years ago when the numbers were a lot smaller too. A huge slice of people always seem to be 2-3 years behind in terms of salary expectations.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

So, did the media nonsense inevitably help us get this pushed to a resolution...? Haha.

8x12.5 (or anything in the 12s) is pretty reasonable from my perspective. What I didn't want to happen is a 3 or 4 year deal in that range. 12.5mil right now for a 25 year old 100pt center is perfectly fair value. He will be locked up entirely through his prime right up to his early-to-mid 30s, that has to cost something.

In the offseason of the 2028 season, when Matthews is signing an 8 year deal taking him to age 38/39 for 16mil per year, and Pettersson is signed to a 12.5mil deal for another 4 years until age 33, Pettersson's contract is going to look pretty good by comparison. This isn't a slight on Matthews, it's more just an easy to use comparison that can be applied to many star players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad