Seravalli: Pettersson extension could be finalized in the next few days

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Pens won the Cup in 2009 with Crosby's $8,700,000 AAV taking up 15.34% of the $56,700,000 cap.

That works out to an AAV of $12,812,169 under the current cap of $83,500,000. Which is more than McDavid and MacKinnon make.

And to further emphasize this, it was a 12 year back diving contract. Take the first 8 years only and the cap hit would be 10.8M.

The actual value of contracts were hidden in plain sight for that period of time, where teams were offsetting cap hits by taking risks on excessively long term.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
What are their prospects like? Why spend 5 million ont those guys instead of trading for and signing a top 6 forward?

Willander is a virtual certainty to be a quality NHL D with top pair potential - but he'll need at least 1 more year

Lekkerimaki is putting together an incredible season in the NHL and has emerged as a top 10 prospect in the league - he might contribute next year, but I'd be he's also a year out.

Then there's Raty, Podkolzin, and (D) Elias Pettersson who are the kind of middle class prospects most teams have and who's value would depend team to team.

I can't see them moving either Willander or Lekkerimaki since they'll need guys like this on ELCs to keep their window open unless it's for a real difference maker. The other guys I'd imagine would be on the table.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If that were reported, I’d say so. I don’t steal.

That’s a guess.
I don’t follow you or know your ethical stance on repeating information, as far as I know the site does not dictate that we site our sources and has no expectations for doing so.

I’m happy for you though

Reactions: Deam78

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Dang...Friedman saying that trade talks were going on with Carolina prior to the latest round of talks. Crazy to think EP could have been in Carolina.

• Wow
Reactions: trellaine201

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Sportsnet just released an article saying that Van was aways down the road on a trade with the canes for EP

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Glad that things are back on track, because there was no world in which we would've won a trade for Pettersson.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Legit insider rumors have linked the Canes to Eichel, Tkachuk, Meier and now Pettersson.

Carolina wants another star forward. Will the stars ever align?

Reactions: SnS

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly good on Alvin for getting ahead of it by putting the pressure on him. Shit or get off the pot. Stop allowing these players to hold these organizations over a barrel that become huge distractions. Either commit or don't. You are being offered 100M+ dollars on a team in 1st place.
Damn right

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Honestly good on Alvin for getting ahead of it by putting the pressure on him. Shit or get off the pot. Stop allowing these players to hold these organizations over a barrel that become huge distractions. Either commit or don't. You are being offered 100M+ dollars on a team in 1st place.

This. These guys are privileged beyond magnitudes of your average person.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad