Seravalli: Pettersson extension could be finalized in the next few days

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Because teams don't win with inflated cap hits.

9 years ago the first 8 figure AAV contracts were signed. Last year was the first time a team won the cup with one

Why is everyone assuming it will be some super high inflated cap hit?

Pettersson has repeatedly stated it’s about winning, he may elect to put his money where his mouth is. I’m not suggesting that will be some massive discount, but I bet you in a year or two it will look like a good deal contract.

Reactions: gianni

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Why is everyone assuming it will be some super high inflated cap hit?

Pettersson has repeatedly stated it’s about winning, he may elect to put his money where his mouth is. I’m not suggesting that will be some massive discount, but I bet you in a year or two it will look like a good deal contract.
We'll see. I've seen it first hand with the Leafs, how much this team has struggled after overpaying players.

I have a feeling it'll be an overpayment if it went from they don't know when he'll sign to they're close on a deal in a matter of a few days

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Lindholm has no confidence right now. Even he knows, he's not a $9M+ dollar forward. If he wants to win now, he may have to settle for 6.5M.

Lindholm had an opportunity to chase the money, he kind of blew it, and he isn’t doing himself any favours in Vancouver.

He wasn’t doing great in CGY, and now he isn’t doing great in Vancouver player with 100 point centers and Hughes, I don’t think teams will be lining up to throw big money at him. He might be in the “prove it” territory of contract having to take something short term, or something long term at a below market value, I would think.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
We'll see. I've seen it first hand with the Leafs, how much this team has struggled after overpaying players.

I have a feeling it'll be an overpayment if it went from they don't know when he'll sign to they're close on a deal in a matter of a few days

Struggling? The Leafs have been a legit contender every year since Matthews' rookie season, how exactly is that a bad thing again? You have to pay your stars, otherwise you have to be prepared to lose them - simple as that.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

9 years ago the first 8 figure AAV contracts were signed. Last year was the first time a team won the cup with one

I'm on the team that an 8-figure/year salary should be reserved for generational players/cup-winning franchise players. So I'm hoping the 12m/year report is wrong, even though it wouldn't be crippling.

Leafs & Canucks are in a different boat.
Next season for 5 players: Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, John Tavares, Will Nylander, and Morgan Reilly = 54.15M.
Elias Petterson (@ 12M), JT Miller, Brock Boeser, Thatcher Demko, and Quinn Hughes = 39.5M.

That's a 14.65M difference that could go toward re-signing Filip Hronek, and possibly Elias Lindholm or a winger.

Reactions: JKG33

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Toronto was the most top heavy team in the NHL with 3 players having 8 figure AAV's

they have 4 players with 8 figure AAV's next season

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020

To be fair, that's how inflation works...

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
8x15 let's do it Vancouver!

In all seriousness though this will be a huge signing for Vancouver

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Struggling? The Leafs have been a legit contender every year since Matthews' rookie season, how exactly is that a bad thing again? You have to pay your stars, otherwise you have to be prepared to lose them - simple as that.
Regular season success means nothing when you win a single playoff round in 7 years

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Miller and Hughes make 8 million and 7.850 million till 2026-27, respectively. As long as those are on the books, they still have a comfortable window. You are saving so much on those contracts it makes the overpayment on whatever Pettersson's deal worth it. This isn't a Toronto situation.

If Pettersson gets 12.5 mil the three core players will make 28.35 mil collectively. Which gives you plenty of flexibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad