• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So being a calder favourite is your argument now over the proven career stats that put Marner way ahead of Pettersson right now? because Marner was also considered a Calder favourite.

Fact is Pettersson has no business winning this poll at this moment in time, one player is 21 years old and has nearly 140 points through 2 NHL seasons, while another is 19 and has 5 career NHL points.
Proven stats? Marner has averaged 65 points over his first two years and had a 61 point rookie season. Yes. I expect EP to beat that. Fairly easily. Just like Barzal, Keller, and Boeser (on pace) would have. Marner’s first two years are quite good but nothing amazing.
You’re basically arguing that a prospect will never have better value than any NHL player. That’s an absurd argument.
You can keep repeating that ‘the fact is’ that EP has no right to be leading the poll but it doesn’t make it a fact. Nor do you need to bring out crazy anti Leaf conspiracy theories.
A majority of people think EP will be better. It’s just a poll. Don’t take it so personally. Time will tell who is right.

Reactions: McClelland

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'll always vote for the proven good player over a possible good player until the possible good player proves me wrong
I totally understand that position. I feel that you can craft good arguments for voting either way here. Both are going to be great young players imo.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I can’t comment on who is better, as i havent watched petersson other than highlights, but i can warn canucks fans not to start a feud with the maple leafs fans on this site. Last year when barzal took off some barzal fans and some homer isles posters started pushing the narrative that barzal i a) better than marner (there was outrage, barzal will drop off talk etc) and b) that ge is better than mathews. Aside from this being a questionable argument it led to handful of leafs homers taking it out in any barzal thread since then. If you like meaningful discussion i would recommend not pissing off the maple leafs fans.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can’t comment on who is better, as i havent watched petersson other than highlights, but i can warn canucks fans not to start a feud with the maple leafs fans on this site. Last year when barzal took off some barzal fans and some homer isles posters started pushing the narrative that barzal i a) better than marner (there was outrage, barzal will drop off talk etc) and b) that ge is better than mathews. Aside from this being a questionable argument it led to handful of leafs homers taking it out in any barzal thread since then. If you like meaningful discussion i would recommend not pissing off the maple leafs fans.
Pfft! Barzal!
The guy was just leaching off Tavares. In fact he’s still leaching off him this year. :sarcasm:
One thing I can guarantee is that if EP has a great rookie year, the same people arguing EP is unproven, will argue that he needs to do it twice to prove it wasn’t a fluke.
The same thing they argued with Barzal after his historic rookie season.
Those goal posts just keep moving.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
It's sad that this needs to be said, but nobody is voting for Pettersson because of "2 games". They're voting for Pettersson because he was drafted 5th overall, then absolutely dominated the SHL at 19, then looked like Vancouver's best player in the preseason, then looked utterly dominant in his first two regular season games. At this point everything Elias Pettersson has done since being drafted screams "elite 1st line C in the NHL", and it looks like it will happen sooner than later.

I understand why people would think Marner is the choice here, but Pettersson is absolutely a defensible choice in this poll.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
As a prospect I think Pettersson is better than Marner was, but right now I can’t in all good conscience say that Pettersson is a better player than Marner. Two NHL games and a historic SHL season just isn’t enough when compared to 164 NHL games with that type of ppg. Not for me atleast.

With that said I still think that Petterssons upside is too good to pass up going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Westcoastsniper

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey

They were just jealous because Barzal is better than Marner

Reactions: PWJunior

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Why would we be jealous? lol

We've got a lot of good, exciting hockey ahead.
I must be missing the memo.

Because from what I see: Canucks are the garbage team who can't get in the playoffs, not the Leafs. I'm not inclined to believe whatsoever that Leafs fans care that the main board thinking Pettersson is better than Marner.

Last edited:

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016

Because from what I see: The Islanders and Canucks are the garbage teams who can't get in the playoffs, not the Leafs. I'm not inclined to believe whatsoever that Leafs fans care that the main board thinking Barzal and Pettersson are better than Marner and Matthews.
Not Matthews, this is about Marner

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Because from what I see: The Islanders and Canucks are the garbage teams who can't get in the playoffs, not the Leafs. I'm not inclined to believe whatsoever that Leafs fans care that the main board thinking Barzal and Pettersson are better than Marner and Matthews.
This thread is about Marner & Pettersson.

Follow along.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

Because from what I see: Canucks are the garbage team who can't get in the playoffs, not the Leafs. I'm not inclined to believe whatsoever that Leafs fans care that the main board thinking Pettersson is better than Marner.

You might want to read this thread, you'll find a lot of Leaf fans that seem to care as they keep posting in this thread over and over. Congrats, your team is good right now, must make up for the 12 years of abysmal hockey you had to watch. Your team hasn't won a playoff series in almost 15 years, might want to get off that high horse.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

That’s not all you’re missing! I’m guessing you must be a sanitary engineer because you manage to work the word ‘garbage’ into every post.
:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Mar 26, 2010

Marner AINEC.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Marner is better at the moment, and should be, but I like what Pettersson projects to be moving forward in terms of position and build. He's a lanky 6'2 and could add 20lbs in the next few years. Then throw in the fact he's a center with great hands, high IQ, and a wicket shot. Sky is the limit for him.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Well, enjoy your 1st round exit.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It's sad that this needs to be said, but nobody is voting for Pettersson because of "2 games". They're voting for Pettersson because he was drafted 5th overall, then absolutely dominated the SHL at 19, then looked like Vancouver's best player in the preseason, then looked utterly dominant in his first two regular season games. At this point everything Elias Pettersson has done since being drafted screams "elite 1st line C in the NHL", and it looks like it will happen sooner than later.

I understand why people would think Marner is the choice here, but Pettersson is absolutely a defensible choice in this poll.

Marner was also drafted top 5, Marner also broke records in his post draft season, Marner also dominated preseason. It’s interesting how similar their careers are. I think Peterson will be a big time star just like Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad