Petterson vs Marner

Who do you take going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
You're right, EP is winning the poll after all. EP's closer to Barzal and Marner is closer to Larkin.
Only thing I can say is Marner is closer to both since he plays on the East coast.
Think about this for a moment, even with how J.T and A.M are killing it right now I still think Marner is our best player so aim lower.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Only thing I can say is Marner is closer to both since he plays on the East coast.
Think about this for a moment, even with how J.T and A.M are killing it right now I still think Marner is our best player so aim lower.

What A.M is doing right now is amazing, he is your best player.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Back to back 60 point plus seasons is not elite. It’s not ridiculous to suggest that Pettersson will be better given that he’s the odds on favourite to be the rookie of the year. Most rookie of the year winners score 70 points at least. To suggest that Marner can increase his points by over 30% is beyond optimistic. It’s likely a fantasy.
Now if you want to make realistic predictions by all means go ahead.

Doesn't matter what you think about Marner, he is with some elite company this early into his career...

Have an update for you, friend.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
The best thing about Marner is he was always going to have a steep learning curve when coming to the NHL. Most people knew as soon as he started to figure it out he has all the talent in the world to become on of the best players in the league.

As for the poll I went with Marner because is see so much room to grow and from what I have seen over the second half of last year and the start of this year he’s already one of the best in the NHL. Both look to have promising futures could really go either way.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I must admit, I was kind of annoyed to see EP winning but he's backed it up with some solid play.

Both are playing over their heads right now, but I still take Marner as I think he is just the better overall player when I look at their skillset and vision. EP could take a developmental leap and pass him, but he would need to be Barzal tier.

Not to mention, Marner has been killing penalties quite well, so that's an aspect few consider. Good poll tho!

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Petterson is Laine all over again. People see him play 4 good games and declare him better than OV. No sense to be made, but they still do it.

I thought Leafs fans could be bad, give Nucks a little taste of talent and they go thinking a Boeser is a Mackinnon or EP is a Marner. Delusions.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Petterson is Laine all over again. People see him play 4 good games and declare him better than OV. No sense to be made, but they still do it.

I thought Leafs fans could be bad, give Nucks a little taste of talent and they go thinking a Boeser is a Mackinnon or EP is a Marner. Delusions.

I'm a leaf fan but watching Elias Petterssen is something else. If he puts up 60 + points this rookie season (very likely) as a center; they have a strong case. Some times you can just tell when a player has it or not. There's a difference between fluking several points in your first few games and legitimately being the driving force for your line where you could actually have more points then you do. You can just see he has an unreal creative skill set to his game and a good shot. He projects very well.

The answer for the leafs is Marner but only because we have Tavares, Matthews, Kadri and Marner is such a perfect fit for our goal scoring wingers.

If you don't have a C; I can see why you would take EP

Reactions: Nifty Willy

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I saw Petterson in one game and scrambled to add him in my pool.

He's got moves you can't teach. Love him.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Just to add to that list, P. Kane was at 146 after 164 games.
It’s pretty hard to argue against actual numbers. Marner is pretty much as elite a young talent can be at this point, with the exception of the truly incredible prospects like McDavid, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, and Matthews and so forth.

Petterson is great too and I imagine his numbers will be amongst the players on that list as well when he reaches the same amount of games played.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014

I think you'd be in the vast minority with this line of thinking. Tavares and Matthews are franchise centers, and more proven to boot. Marner is a good support player for them.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad