Recalled/Assigned: Petr Straka recalled Jan. 27; reassigned to AHL Feb. 1

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But on what are you basing that? It would make more sense that the coach would make that call. I'm not really arguing here, I just want to know how you are arriving at this conclusion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

The head coach at the NHL level would have zero clue how players are performing down in the minors to earn a call up.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The head coach at the NHL level would have zero clue how players are performing down in the minors to earn a call up.

Not sure I agree with that, but in any event, he surely would know how a player (Straka) was performing at the NHL level...and I would think would make the call to send him down. Would seem strange if Berube thought he was playing better than INSERT PLAYER HERE and he wanted him to continue on the team, wouldn't make a lot of sense for Hextall to get involved and send him down. Maybe if there is a waivers issue or a slide risk issue I could see the GM stepping in and saying that Player X should not be sent down because he would get claimed or Player X should get sent down because we want to keep this year on his contract, but sending down Straka strikes me as a move that Hextall would not (and really should not) have any involvment.

Again, I could be totally wrong, but I've not seen anything other than your (and Curufinwe's) speculation. Which may very well be the case, but again, to me it seems the most reasonable conclusion as that personnel decision within the organization about who is on the NHL roster would be up to the coach. Does Hextall make the decisions at training camp too or just during the season? Does he make decisions on who gets scratched?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But on what are you basing that? It would make more sense that the coach would make that call. I'm not really arguing here, I just want to know how you are arriving at this conclusion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Why would it make more sense? It's not the NHL coach's job to be intimately familiar with what's going on in the AHL. That's the GM's job.

SchennSational1022*

Berube tried to convince Hextall to keep Morin up but ultimately Hextall told him no dice. The coach doesn't have as much say as who's on the roster.

Where do you gather this from? Mckenzie himself reported Hextall was shopping a few of our defensemen to make room for Morin, it wasn't just Berube.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall specifically said he would move a dman to make room for a young guy, if he felt the young guy was ready. He didn't think Morin was ready. And he denied that trade report.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/hockey/flyers/mc-flyers-capitals-preseason-1002-20141002-story.html

sending down Straka strikes me as a move that Hextall would not (and really should not) have any involvment.

You just said the General Manager of the Flyers and Phantoms should have no involvement in sending a player from the Flyers to the Phantoms. :shakehead

He's in charge of the rosters of both teams, and making sure there are no salary cap or roster rule violations. He monitors the health, development, performance level and contract status of every player in the organization.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Fair enough. Like I said, it just would seem to make more sense to me that the head coach would have the say as to what players are on his roster at a given time (in terms of players already in the organization).

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Schenn giroux Voracek
Straka raffl simmonds
Umberger coots read
bellamare laughton Lecavalier
I'd love to see those lines, 4 balanced lines all capable of producing and not being a defensive liability (for what we have)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They ofc confer... but the GM gets the final say.

I mean, each scenario is different.

White and VdV competing for last roster spot. Berube probably has an opinion that is heavily considered.

Laughton and White competing for last roster spot. Hextall certainly has 100% discretion.

Hextall is ultimately in charge and does what he sees is best for the organisation not just in the short term. If Berube had gone 'gee I want Morin, Hagg and Gostisbehere starting this year as they are the guys I think gives the team the best chance to win' Hextall does what he wants regardless of what Berube wants.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You just said the General Manager of the Flyers and Phantoms should have no involvement in sending a player from the Flyers to the Phantoms. :shakehead

Yes I did. Why would Hextall overrule the coach on who he wants on his team if a player is already in the organization. He doesn't tell Berube who to scratch on a nightly basis does he? Why would he tell him he has to send down Straka if Berube wanted Straka on the roster? There would seem to be no difference in telling Berube to Bench MDZ for the night in favor of Colaiocovo or Sending Straka down to allow for whomever to play.

He's in charge of the rosters of both teams, and making sure there are no salary cap or roster rule violations. He monitors the health, development, performance level and contract status of every player in the organization.

Absolutely. I guess I shouldn't have said "no involvement" in the process, if there are issues like that where Hextall had to come in and say, "This would put us over the cap" or "I think Claude Giroux would be claimed on waivers," then Hextall is involved. But if it is a simple call-up or send-down with no potential consequences, I don't see the need for Hextall to be involved.

I realize my POV is based only on speculation, but let's not pretend like it is some absurd statement that I think that the coach does (or should) have the final say on who is on his roster in terms of players already in the organization. But the boards have spoken and I am wrong. So be it. I think we can move on.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes I did. Why would Hextall overrule the coach on who he wants on his team if a player is already in the organization.

Because the GM's job is to put the long term interests of the franchise first, and that might not always coincide with what a coach wants to do to try and keep his job.

That's what Hextall did when he sent Morin back to Junior.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Yes I did. Why would Hextall overrule the coach on who he wants on his team if a player is already in the organization. He doesn't tell Berube who to scratch on a nightly basis does he? Why would he tell him he has to send down Straka if Berube wanted Straka on the roster? There would seem to be no difference in telling Berube to Bench MDZ for the night in favor of Colaiocovo or Sending Straka down to allow for whomever to play.

Absolutely. I guess I shouldn't have said "no involvement" in the process, if there are issues like that where Hextall had to come in and say, "This would put us over the cap" or "I think Claude Giroux would be claimed on waivers," then Hextall is involved. But if it is a simple call-up or send-down with no potential consequences, I don't see the need for Hextall to be involved.

I realize my POV is based only on speculation, but let's not pretend like it is some absurd statement that I think that the coach does (or should) have the final say on who is on his roster in terms of players already in the organization. But the boards have spoken and I am wrong. So be it. I think we can move on.

For the bold: what?

Hextall makes the roster moves.

Berube uses the guys Hextall gives him as he sees fit.

Obviously they would discuss things, but it's 100% on the GM who gets recalled/assigned.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Berube (or the head coach) only sees some of these guys during training camp. A lot can change between that time leading up to a call up. He doesn't know if that guy is playing well or not down in the minors to deserve a call up.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
A GM's job is to provide the coach with players and the coach's job is to do the best with the players he is given. A GM has the say on what is best for a player's development. A coach could say "this guy makes us better", but if the GM feels his development would be better sending a player down, then that player is sent down and I don't think any coach would argue.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'm sure Murray also has a say

I am sure they both have a say (Murray and Berube) and their opinion is valued but in the end Hextall is going to be the one to take in all that information and make a decision.

My two cents and take on the subject is that Murray keeps in contact with Hextall and relays his feelings on who on his squad is ready for a look in the NHL, and who at that time is better suited to meet certain requirements needed in a player when and if those needs come into play with the Parent Roster... He also relates who is not ready and the status of his players as to where they stand in their development. I imagine that that is done on a set periodical basis as well as when the Flyers fall in need.

I also believe that Berube in in Hextall's ear about who on his Roster is falling short and who be believes may need to return... who he can and cannot rely on and who he wants on the Roster as well as who he is less than happy to have on it.

I don't think that either Murray nor Chief concern themselves about the Cap Conditions -- although I'm sure that in the back of their minds they do have some clue and remember past occurrences and the Cap hindrances involved -- They two Head Coaches keep the information flowing and keep their views apparent to the GM so that Hextall is aware and can reach back for them when needed... I'm sure that Hextall asks for and receives at all times information.

Hextall I would bet the Farm on the fact that he works closely with the two Heads Coaches and his Capologist(s) and takes Chief's needs as well as Murray's opinion on who is a fitting call-up for the situation and then consults his Cap Man/Men to see what is the best situation that best both suits the current needs as well as the future needs and making sure that the Flyers are as Cap Healthy as they can be.

The above all seems logical to me... The GM makes the calls but relies heavily on his charges for the information needed to determine the calls... The responsibility as well as the credit under his watch falls under the GM... and flatly stated; If the GM wants and feels it is right, he will get what he wants... If the GM doesn't want something and feels that it is not right, than it will not happen. Berube says who he wants and Hexy decides who he get... Chief works with the hand he is dealt and Hexy deals the cards that he has to deal given the deck he posses in accordance with the Cap.

I may be wrong... but I doubt it. ;)

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
My two cents and take on the subject is that Murray keeps in contact with Hextall and relays his feelings on who on his squad is ready for a look in the NHL, and who at that time is better suited to meet certain requirements needed in a player when and if those needs come into play with the Parent Roster... He also relates who is not ready and the status of his players as to where they stand in their development. I imagine that that is done on a set periodical basis as well as when the Flyers fall in need.

I also believe that Berube in in Hextall's ear about who on his Roster is falling short and who be believes may need to return... who he can and cannot rely on and who he wants on the Roster as well as who he is less than happy to have on it.

I don't think that either Murray nor Chief concern themselves about the Cap Conditions -- although I'm sure that in the back of their minds they do have some clue and remember past occurrences and the Cap hindrances involved -- They two Head Coaches keep the information flowing and keep their views apparent to the GM so that Hextall is aware and can reach back for them when needed... I'm sure that Hextall asks for and receives at all times information.

Hextall I would bet the Farm on the fact that he works closely with the two Heads Coaches and his Capologist(s) and takes Chief's needs as well as Murray's opinion on who is a fitting call-up for the situation and then consults his Cap Man/Men to see what is the best situation that best both suits the current needs as well as the future needs and making sure that the Flyers are as Cap Healthy as they can be.

The above all seems logical to me... The GM makes the calls but relies heavily on his charges for the information needed to determine the calls... The responsibility as well as the credit under his watch falls under the GM... and flatly stated; If the GM wants and feels it is right, he will get what he wants... If the GM doesn't want something and feels that it is not right, than it will not happen. Berube says who he wants and Hexy decides who he get... Chief works with the hand he is dealt and Hexy deals the cards that he has to deal given the deck he posses in accordance with the Cap.

I may be wrong... but I doubt it. ;)

I like your style

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
No Raffl at practice today

White, Laughton and Simmons together not in position order.

Seems a little dumb we jumped the gun to send him back so quickly. Laughton is a natural center and a future for us or we are either playing him on wing or playing an energy guy that lacks natural skill out of position.

Should have held on to him to see who returns in Raffl or Laughton. Would have made sense if Raffl came back he can play wing, Laughton/White shouldnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad