Recalled/Assigned: Petr Straka recalled Jan. 27; reassigned to AHL Feb. 1

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Those are just as bad, if not worse, than Berube's combinations.

Matt Read, who's struggling so insanely hard right now, shouldn't be on the top line.

That third line would mean we have two 4th lines and actually the 4th line looks better.

With those players, I'd rather see

Straka-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Bellemare-Umberger
Vandevelde-White-Lecavalier

Sorry I disagree. With the injuries, there isn't much of a choice. Not enough talent to avoid having 2 4th lines.
My lines if they were healthy would be:

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Lecavalier - Laughton - Read
Umberger - Bellemare - White (can switch bellmare or White)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Raffl's sick, so Straka is up.

Does this mean they are completely done with Akeson now?

Good luck to Straka though. I know there was a decent bit of excitement when he signed, but he hasn't quite set the world alight. Hopefully he'll grab the opportunity.

Yep, I think if I were Akeson I would be checking out my options. He is all but out of the Flyers' future plans, IMO.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry I disagree. With the injuries, there isn't much of a choice. Not enough talent to avoid having 2 4th lines.
My lines if they were healthy would be:

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Lecavalier - Laughton - Read
Umberger - Bellemare - White (can switch bellmare or White)

Lecavalier should never, in any situation, leave the 4th line. That's just asking for failure. He kills every single line he's on unless he's on the 4th line playing against other 4th lines and getting insanely easy minutes. If he's going to tank a line then at least make sure the other players on it are guys like VV or White.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Lecavalier should never, in any situation, leave the 4th line. That's just asking for failure. He kills every single line he's on unless he's on the 4th line playing against other 4th lines and getting insanely easy minutes. If he's going to tank a line then at least make sure the other players on it are guys like VV or White.

Emember-Ray the Ank-Tay.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yep, I think if I were Akeson I would be checking out my options. He is all but out of the Flyers' future plans, IMO.

I'd probably look towards Europe if I were him as I don't think he really has much of a future in the NHL regardless of the team. At least you get a bigger check & don't have to ride around in buses from small town to small town here in NA.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
He's Zherdev with a 1/10 of the talent. That still makes him more talented that guys like Rinaldo and such but he doesn't have the work ethic to stick IMO. With that said, I image he plays well tonight considering this is his first taste of NHL action.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
My only question, is Straka-White-Simmonds a real ****ing line?

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com

The problem with this statement is that it is undeniable that Vinny has more offensive talent than anyone in the bottom 6. We need to stop putting our players in positions to fail. I good coach gets more out of his players. Berube has not been able to do that with any single player on this team. While Vinny was playing poorly, he did show improvement. Umberger was the worst player on the team till recently and hes on the third line. He's not faster or more Skilled than Vinny and is about the same age.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem with this statement is that it is undeniable that Vinny has more offensive talent than anyone in the bottom 6. We need to stop putting our players in positions to fail. I good coach gets more out of his players. Berube has not been able to do that with any single player on this team. While Vinny was playing poorly, he did show improvement. Umberger was the worst player on the team till recently and hes on the third line. He's not faster or more Skilled than Vinny and is about the same age.

Vinny could have the most natural skill in the entire would and it wouldn't matter, the fact is he's broken down so badly that his skill isn't able to make up for it. He belongs on the 4th line and that's where he should stay.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Schenn/G/Voracek
Raffl/Laughton/Simmonds
Umberger/Couturier/Read
Bellemare/White/VandeVelde

Del Zotto - Timonen
Streit - Schultz
Coburn - Schenn

Mason

If we get healthy again I think Grossmann, Macdonald, Lecavalier, Rinaldo
Should all be scratches.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I haven't been able to catch much of the last couple games, just the 3rd period, but Straka looks like a decent depth player. He's fast and can handle the puck. Made some nice rushes, and passes too, incl. sending Simmonds in alone. Got his nose dirty and almost scored just before Schultz.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I haven't been able to catch much of the last couple games, just the 3rd period, but Straka looks like a decent depth player. He's fast and can handle the puck. Made some nice rushes, and passes too, incl. sending Simmonds in alone. Got his nose dirty and almost scored just before Schultz.

The kid has looked very good so far. Would like to see him stick around after Raffl comes back. Maybe just scratch White and have Raffl center that line instead.

Straka-Raffl-Simmonds is interesting..

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The kid has looked very good so far. Would like to see him stick around after Raffl comes back. Maybe just scratch White and have Raffl center that line instead.

Straka-Raffl-Simmonds is interesting..

Exactly what I'd want, even though whites been pretty good too.

In a perfect world, White would center the 4th line and Lecavalier would have a nice view from the upper stands.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rinaldo has 2 assists in 295:25 ES TOI.

Straka has 2 assists in 28:22 ES TOI. He is literally more than 10 times more productive than Zac.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Straka has 2 assists in 28:22 ES TOI. He is literally more than 10 times more productive than Zac.

Yeah..but now compare hits! :sarcasm:

Kidding...Zac can go to the AHL after his suspension.

Zac Stortini Rosehill

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, but heart guys. Rinaldo has more heart and grit and energy and heart and he's the only reason people don't run Giroux and Voracek and he has heart.

Every penalty and suspension shows how much he cares. The people who stay on the ice and actually help the team win don't really care.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

Screen-Shot-2014-10-16-at-4.32.00-PM.png

"So what !!!"

463863051-614x851.jpeg

"Don't say so!"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He made a good first impression. He'll be back later in the season. Obviously was matched up against weak competition, but had healthy possession numbers

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sucks that he got sent down but at least he looked good while here. Hopefully that means he'll be the first callup in the future.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Yeah, I was fairly impressed. It could just be that rookie adrenaline, but he looked better than a number of guys in our bottom 6.

Wasn't a knock on him his defense? He didn't really stand out one way or the other to me in the defensive zone. I wonder if working with Terry Murray has had an effect in that regard.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, but heart guys. Rinaldo has more heart and grit and energy and heart and he's the only reason people don't run Giroux and Voracek and he has heart.

Every penalty and suspension shows how much he cares. The people who stay on the ice and actually help the team win don't really care.

yeah cue that stupid Zac Attack:handclap: response that the Rinaldo love to use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad