Recalled/Assigned: Petr Straka recalled Jan. 27; reassigned to AHL Feb. 1

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Classic Berube. Send down the talented young winger and keep the gritty checker in there. Meanwhile, Raffl could be centering a line with Straka and Simmonds.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sending Straka down and keeping White isn't the end of the world... I wish it was flipped but I can kinda understand it.

BUT, if Rinaldo comes back and he replaces White then I'll be pretty annoyed (but certainly not surprised).

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Sending Straka down and keeping White isn't the end of the world... I wish it was flipped but I can kinda understand it.

BUT, if Rinaldo comes back and he replaces White then I'll be pretty annoyed (but certainly not surprised).

So would I. Straka did impress me. Nice to see we are beginning to have some talent in the minors.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Assuming he doesn't alter the other 3 lines:

Straka-Raffl-Simmonds > Raffl-White-Simmonds

Added bonus is that we get Straka more NHL experience. White is what he is at this point whereas Straka is still developing his game.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just wait until Grossmann and Coburn come back and Colaiacovo (which i'm okay with) and either Schenn or Del Zotto are healthy scratched again..

For all you pro-tankers, there are losses on the horizon..

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
They should have waived Vinny and put him in the minors. Went to the game last night and he stood out for all of the wrong reasons.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Assuming he doesn't alter the other 3 lines:

Straka-Raffl-Simmonds > Raffl-White-Simmonds

Added bonus is that we get Straka more NHL experience. White is what he is at this point whereas Straka is still developing his game.

I'd rather see that too, but I can understand why Hextall might want Straka to go back to LV for a while and prefer keeping White up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd rather see that too, but I can understand why Hextall might want Straka to go back to LV for a while and prefer keeping White up.

I dunno. I think I would have preferred to see how long he can be productive before sending him down.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Right or wrong I don't think they were going to give Straka a fair shake from the beginning going by the way Hextall has handled prospects & the way he was actually used.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Just wait until Grossmann and Coburn come back and Colaiacovo (which i'm okay with) and either Schenn or Del Zotto are healthy scratched again..

For all you pro-tankers, there are losses on the horizon..

It would be a major surprise to me if MDZ is removed from the Roster based on both his play of late and the manner and TOI Berube is using him... He is playing both sides of the puck very well and is being relied on in petty much all situations. I'd love to see Del Zotto play most every game as he did against Toronto... arguably his best game as a Flyer and seemingly on the path to what he was projected to be by the Rangers and certainly what he was hoped to be when Hexy signed him. He played physical and very effectively on the boards and on the D-side of the puck... and aggressively on the O-side while staying responsible. There is no way he sits when he is playing in this manner with few slips of late.

As for L. Schenn, while he may never become the player he was projected to be early on, he has also become effective within the limitations given him and is hitting and being a plus player... Not a game breaker but a grunt doing his role.

Both these young D-men can be on the backline for the Flyers for Seasons to come if handled correctly and if they continue to progress and work at their game and play within their limits with confidence... I would not tamper with their confidence at this point and only remove them from the lineup if/when they show bad inclinations again.

I think Berube has a decision to make when the injured D-men return... especially if Kimmo returns... I'd imagine that AMac may sit after Cola... and I also imagine that Hexy un-muddles the water a bit by moving some D-men at the TDL... Coburn/Grossmann????

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Straka looked pretty 'NHL competent' in a similar way to Tye McGinn.

Not amazing AHL numbers, (but pretty decent) but a broad frame and can skate well. Obviously not McGinns grit but Straka had better pedigree as a junior.

It may just be the first few NHL game 'spike' but he looked decent.

The fact he has played a few NHL games and he is a top 6 AHLer mean he was a pretty good pickup for nothing.

Him and Alt were really nice little moves... getting two guys who were 2nd rounders, one of whom has now played in the NHL and the other who very likely will at some point.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It would be a major surprise to me if MDZ is removed from the Roster based on both his play of late and the manner and TOI Berube is using him... He is playing both sides of the puck very well and is being relied on in petty much all situations. I'd love to see Del Zotto play most every game as he did against Toronto... arguably his best game as a Flyer and seemingly on the path to what he was projected to be by the Rangers and certainly what he was hoped to be when Hexy signed him. He played physical and very effectively on the boards and on the D-side of the puck... and aggressively on the O-side while staying responsible. There is no way he sits when he is playing in this manner with few slips of late.

As for L. Schenn, while he may never become the player he was projected to be early on, he has also become effective within the limitations given him and is hitting and being a plus player... Not a game breaker but a grunt doing his role.

Both these young D-men can be on the backline for the Flyers for Seasons to come if handled correctly and if they continue to progress and work at their game and play within their limits with confidence... I would not tamper with their confidence at this point and only remove them from the lineup if/when they show bad inclinations again.

I think Berube has a decision to make when the injured D-men return... especially if Kimmo returns... I'd imagine that AMac may sit after Cola... and I also imagine that Hexy un-muddles the water a bit by moving some D-men at the TDL... Coburn/Grossmann????

Someone will get moved and Carlo can be waived or dealt anytime. I'm still not sure Kimmo will risk it, unless he wants one more chance at a Cup and agrees to be dealt. He could always come back to the Flyers next year if he's OK...

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Bellemare-White-VandeVelde

Macdonald-Streit
Del Zotto-Schenn
Coburn-Schultz

Lecavalier - Scratched or sent down to AHL.
Grossmann - Trade for a 3rd
Coburn - If can fetch you a 1st do it and let Coliacovo or Manning finish the season there. If not keep him and play him. Maybe package him at the draft.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
not really all that worked up over Straka going back down. Raffl by all accounts is ready to go and Laughton is getting closer. Hopefully this also keeps that idiot Rinaldo out of the lineup as well when he is done with his suspension. Send him down to the AHL where he can hand out with those other 2 clowns Stortini and Rosehill.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I'm fairly certain you aren't serious, but I will point out No Movement Clause just to be sure.

Yea, wasn't serious. More frustrating. They just need to go back to making him a healthy scratch until he retires out of shame. They're a better team with him in the press box.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It's Hextall's call.

Is it though? I would think call-ups/send-downs would be the coaches call. Maybe he has to ask permission first or something, but I'm thinking the asking of permission is more form over substance. Could be wrong though. I just always assumed that it decisions about the roster involving players already in the organization would be the coaches call, and acquiring/trading players is the GM's domain.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00