Recalled/Assigned: Petr Straka recalled Jan. 27; reassigned to AHL Feb. 1

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
Philadelphia Flyers ‏@NHLFlyers

Roster Update: The #Flyers have recalled F Petr Straka from the @LVPhantoms → http://*******/1FNqjOK

Raffl's sick, so Straka is up.

Does this mean they are completely done with Akeson now?

Good luck to Straka though. I know there was a decent bit of excitement when he signed, but he hasn't quite set the world alight. Hopefully he'll grab the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Straka's not having much of a season in the AHL. Pretty close to busting.

Probably didn't want a center in Cousins and rather let Leier develop

You are right. The kid can really dangle and shoot though. Interested to see how he plays. Glad he is atleast getting a shot.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
I bow to you and your superior tweet embedding skills. :laugh:

He's worth a try. It's not exactly going to hurt if he doesn't look up to it. Good luck to him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's pretty awesome. Excited to see how he does.

He's not exactly lighting the world on fire in the AHL, but the goals he's scored have been pretty skillful and he has a pretty nice shot. I bet he's pretty excited.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Excited about this. I don't think I've seen Straka play in an actual game yet.

Hopefully it gives him a jolt, and he can start putting it all together.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Put him on the first line

Yeah, I'd like to see that too simply because it would balance the lines better by having Schenn and Simmonds on the 2nd line instead of just Simmonds and two people playing for in their first NHL games (obviously White has played before but not this year). Straka's skillset would be a good fit with G and V and really it doesn't matter who's there since they're going to produce anyway.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Yeah, I'd like to see that too simply because it would balance the lines better by having Schenn and Simmonds on the 2nd line instead of just Simmonds and two people playing for in their first NHL games (obviously White has played before but not this year). Straka's skillset would be a good fit with G and V and really it doesn't matter who's there since they're going to produce anyway.

My thoughts exactly.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

Are you expecting our coach to follow this complicated train of thought?

On the other thought, did White and Straka play together in the AHL?

Last edited:

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly
Put him on the 1st line but give him limited minutes. 17-20 minutes is too overwhelming for an NHL debut. Put him up there but rotate Schenn in there a few times, but Chief will probably feel compelled to throw VV up there. He should end up with 12-14 minutes today considering G's and Voracek's PP time + rotating Schenn in. No more than that tho.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The line is Straka-White-Simmonds

Wait a minute, is this a real ****ing thing?

For ****'s sake, just give Simmonds to Couturier. That's just a waste of Simmonds while keeping offense as hard as possible for Sean's line.

This isn't "spreading the talent around," this is just burying Simmonds and minimizing his ability to even consider having an impact.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Wait a minute, is this a real ****ing thing?

For ****'s sake, just give Simmonds to Couturier. That's just a waste of Simmonds while keeping offense as hard as possible for Sean's line.

This isn't "spreading the talent around," this is just burying Simmonds and minimizing his ability to even consider having an impact.

Berube's line combinations have been horrible all season. Its one of his biggest weaknesses. These would be my lines with the current roster situation.

Matt Read - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Brayden Schenn - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
R.J. Umberger - Ryan White - Vincent Lecavalier
Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Peter Straka

Michael Del Zotto - Nick Schultz
Mark Streit - Luke Schenn
Carlo Colaiacovo - Andrew MacDonald

Ray Emery

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Berube's line combinations have been horrible all season. Its one of his biggest weaknesses. These would be my lines with the current roster situation.

Matt Read - Claude Giroux - Jakub Voracek
Brayden Schenn - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
R.J. Umberger - Ryan White - Vincent Lecavalier
Chris VandeVelde - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Peter Straka

Michael Del Zotto - Nick Schultz
Mark Streit - Luke Schenn
Carlo Colaiacovo - Andrew MacDonald

Ray Emery

Those are just as bad, if not worse, than Berube's combinations.

Matt Read, who's struggling so insanely hard right now, shouldn't be on the top line.

That third line would mean we have two 4th lines and actually the 4th line looks better.

With those players, I'd rather see

Straka-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Bellemare-Umberger
Vandevelde-White-Lecavalier

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
My thoughts concerning Simmonds with Coots: Simmonds does his best in front of the other teams net...Couturier plays his best hockey in the defensive zone at this point.

Coots and Simmonds play best on two different ends of the ice. While I don't like the line that i just saw listed above (the white line), I'm not sure Simmonds and Coots compliment each other.

Someone feel free to break out the fancy stats so that i can be publicly shamed and proven wrong yet again.

Also im not trying to make a case for where to put white or straka, just my thoughts on putting simmonds and coots together.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Simmonds and Couturier looked great together to start the season. Couturier is very good at puck possession in the offensive zone, and he can get the puck his teammates very well. Having Simmonds provide net presence would be huge for him. This is something people wanted to see Hartnell doing last year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad