Peterborough Petes 2021-22 Season Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
IMO he will be dealing those two 2nd round picks….No source, just makes sense because there won’t be room in the lineup for those players next year with so many returning players.

I agree that trading one of those 2nds for a 3rd/4th this year plus 2025 or 2026 2nd would be ideal because of the holes in the Petes’ draft cupboard this year after those two 2nds.
He has to. This team is supposed to be really good next year but there are already glaring weaknesses and he has no picks to trade to make the team better. The big question next year is will he be willing to trade this #6 overall player? I wouldnt want to, but i dont see how he doesnt

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
IMO he will be dealing those two 2nd round picks….No source, just makes sense because there won’t be room in the lineup for those players next year with so many returning players.

I agree that trading one of those 2nds for a 3rd/4th this year plus 2025 or 2026 2nd would be ideal because of the holes in the Petes’ draft cupboard this year after those two 2nds.
It might not easy to net a future 2 & 3 for late ‘22-2nds as the ‘67s with 2(1sts & 2nds) and colts with 2-2nds in top 6 plus 2-3rds and OS with 2-2nds could all be looking to move pick(s).
Many teams have a lot of returning players due to the cancelled season; most had 9-11 rookies

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
It might not easy to net a future 2 & 3 for late ‘22-2nds as the ‘67s with 2(1sts & 2nds) and colts with 2-2nds in top 6 plus 2-3rds and OS with 2-2nds could all be looking to move pick(s).
Many teams have a lot of returning players due to the cancelled season; most had 9-11 rookies
Id be phoning Windsor and say who do you want for Wyatt Johnston? Well draft htat player 6th overall and trade him to you in January

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
who will Petes pick with 6th pick? Any ideas?
Cole Beaudoin, LW - Napean Raiders
Nathan Villenueve, C/LW - Navan Grads
Porter Martone, RW - Toronto Jr Canadiens
Michael Hage, C - Toronto Jr Canadiens

It’s very likely Hage + Villenueve could be gone… but I would bet one of those four ends up with the Petes

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Cole Beaudoin, LW - Napean Raiders
Nathan Villenueve, C/LW - Navan Grads
Porter Martone, RW - Toronto Jr Canadiens
Michael Hage, C - Toronto Jr Canadiens

It’s very likely Hage + Villenueve could be gone… but I would bet one of those four ends up with the Petes
Is there any way that the Petes don't trade their #1 pick at the deadline and still win the Eastern conference next season?

The reason I ask is that I like all of these guys at #6 and I hate to think that they will have to be dealt away.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Is there any way that the Petes don't trade their #1 pick at the deadline and still win the Eastern conference next season?

The reason I ask is that I like all of these guys at #6 and I hate to think that they will have to be dealt away.
I mean… Windsor, Flint and London didn’t move their top 16yo. We will see how they do if they meet Hamilton in the finals.

If Oke makes some decent moves in the offseason that huge splash might not be necessary…

Move #1 - DeZoete + picks to Hamilton for Diaco … Diaco is likely odd man out with tons of OA’s in Hamilton and we desperately need a top 6 LW to replace Sproule + Carroll

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I mean… Windsor, Flint and London didn’t move their top 16yo. We will see how they do if they meet Hamilton in the finals.

If Oke makes some decent moves in the offseason that huge splash might not be necessary…

Move #1 - DeZoete + picks to Hamilton for Diaco … Diaco is likely odd man out with tons of OA’s in Hamilton and we desperately need a top 6 LW to replace Sproule + Carroll
This is true, but I dont think any of those teams are really that great. All 3 were able to hang around the top because nobody else went all-in but that is uncommon. And LDN has Evangelista, WSR has Johnston and FLNT has Othmann, 3 of the top 5 players in the league. I like Tucker Robertson but I dont see him being a 124 point guy next year like Johnston was.

And then obviously the biggest thing will be in net. FLNT had a .910 goalie and LDN had a .911 goalie and they didnt have to trade for either. Windsor went the cheap goalie route nd hes been .882 for them, which im sure scares the shit out of their fanbase going into the playoffs

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
That kid should have to wear a neon green jersey in games........just saying

Earlier in the year Hache had a terrible hit on one of the Hamilton kids. They reviewed it for a major.... what a waste of time. No way they were ever going to change it from a 2 to 5. Just the fact that his dad is in a position that makes all of us question if there is a bias means he should not be in that position with his kid in the league.

What I really jumped in here to say is good luck tonight to all you Petes fans. Its exciting to have some playoff action after what feels like way too long.

Edit: Wow, replied to a message that was over a month old. No idea what I was doing there.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Pretty good effort by the Petes last night. It was fun watching the first period when it looked like the Petes controlled the play, frustrating the Bulldogs. But like all season against good teams, once the dam breaks, it flows. The Petes parade to the box in the 2nd period resulted in Bulldogs goals. A real weak hooking call to Lardis caused a PP goal but it didn't bother me as much as the fact that the Petes' own power play in the 1st period was terrible.

The Examiner report said there was no word on Joe Carroll's absence but it was clear to anyone watching the game that he blocked a hard shot in the first period. The Hamilton announcer said it hit Carroll in the elbow. Hopefully he's okay but if not, well, this is how the whole season has gone with the Petes rarely playing a full , healthy lineup,

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Tough game against a tough team, too many penalties and opportunities. Hamilton is fun to watch, but I had to do it on mute. Their play by play guy is impossible to listen to.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013

You think Petes will win the East next year? Ottawa finished ahead of us they have picks#7 and#21 overall this year. Sudbury had #1 st last year and 3 top rookies plus# 3 pick this year.Oshawa had # 2 pick last year, plus picks#8 and#14 this draft. So not so sure we will be the team to beat in Eastern division. We will be better for sure but have holes to fill? Too many suspensions, too many penalties, to name a few? We also don't have picks early in this years draft.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You think Petes will win the East next year? Ottawa finished ahead of us they have picks#7 and#21 overall this year. Sudbury had #1 st last year and 3 top rookies plus# 3 pick this year.Oshawa had # 2 pick last year, plus picks#8 and#14 this draft. So not so sure we will be the team to beat in Eastern division. We will be better for sure but have holes to fill? Too many suspensions, too many penalties, to name a few? We also don't have picks early in this years draft.

The Petes have the 6th pick, that’s early; McTavish, W.Johnson, Winterton territory…I’m not stating this year’s draft is that good.
It won’t be the picks from this and last years’ drafts that determine the standing of teams, it never is. The teams with the best groups of ‘03 & ‘04 born plus OAs will finish at the top.
The Petes will have ~ten ‘03 born along with four ‘04 born picked by the end of the 2nd round as well as a high import pick. By trading MacTvish for Stillman & Melee, Oke made it crystal clear, he is intending to contend in 2022-23. If the Petes get solid goaltending, they will be fine.

Last edited:

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I love it when there is a local kid on our team -so obviously I am going for Porter Martone.

He also gets bonus points in my book because his Pa was a Pete too!

Reactions: dirty12

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Tough game against a tough team, too many penalties and opportunities. Hamilton is fun to watch, but I had to do it on mute. Their play by play guy is impossible to listen to.
Muting is the only way to watch games in Hamilton. The play by play guy is the biggest homer I've ever heard. Dude should be in the stands and not in the booth.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
OHL tweeted out a scouting report video today for Porter Martone….

GP: 53
G: 41
A: 63
P: 104

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If Martone is available at #6, the Petes have to pick him.
His dad is a quality guy, former Petes' captain - was a real character player......I can't imagine a better fit.
I just wish he shot left… but that’s just me nit-picking! :sarcasm:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Good points.....that will make things a little more challenging
Here are examples of possible deals:

BAR 2nd (33rd overall) to FLINT for LDN 3rd (55th overall) and HAM 2nd 2024

NB 2nd (41st overall) to HAMILTON for HAM 3rd (63rd overall) and HAM 2nd 2026

I'm sure that Oke could say to Staios......remember when we dealt you McTavish? make this deal with us instead of with '67s, colts and OS :D

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I just wish he shot left… but that’s just me nit-picking! :sarcasm:
I know....both Villeneuve and Beaudoin are left shots and may be better options if available, especially if they may end up being traded at the deadline in a package for Wyatt Johnston!

Reactions: Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Good points.....that will make things a little more challenging
Here are examples of possible deals:

BAR 2nd (33rd overall) to FLINT for LDN 3rd (55th overall) and HAM 2nd 2024

NB 2nd (41st overall) to HAMILTON for HAM 3rd (63rd overall) and HAM 2nd 2026

I'm sure that Oke could say to Staios......remember when we dealt you McTavish? make this deal with us instead of with '67s, colts and OS :D
I think the Petes can and probably will trade one or two of their 2nds, but a more reasonable expectation might be 2nd & 4th down the road for the Barrie pick and just a future 2nd for NB pick since #41 is essentially the first pick of the 3rd round; and this years draft is not considered as good as the 3-4 previous drafts or the 2023 draft. I believe this years pre-draft trade values will be better than the last but not as high as they were before trading of picks was limited to four years

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Oke has to do everything he can to go all-in and win next year, or his job might be on the line. The Stillman trade signaled his intent to win next year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that the Stillman acquisition is a clear sign Oke thinks the Petes can contend next season.
I like the Petes roster for next season. I am not sure it’s as good as Missasauga or Barrie; but good enough for the #2 seed. I am not ruling out Ottawa or NB this early.
Oke does have an out if things don’t go as planned though. Stillman, Robertson, Avon, Zanetti, …any not returning as an OA could return a great deal of assets to reset a run with the four ‘04 born selected by pick #35.

Last edited:

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I agree that the Stillman acquisition is a clear sign Oke thinks the Petes can contend next season.
I like the Petes roster for next season. I am not sure it’s as good as Missasauga or Barrie; but good enough for the #2 seed. I am not ruling out Ottawa or NB this early.
Oke does have an out if things don’t go as planned though. Stillman, Robertson, Avon, Zanetti, …any not returning as an OA could return a great deal of assets to reset a run with the four ‘04 born selected by pick #35.
I think the strength of next year's Petes is their defense and the physicality over all.. The weaknesses are the power play (imo) and we don't have a shut down goalie. The difference was huge between Simpson and Constantini with the latter looking very comfortable under pressure. Now that is only one game in the playoffs and it remains to be seen how Simpson responds in game 2 against Hamilton. Next year though we could use a goalie that will consistently bail us out in key situations. Simpson is almost that guy but a quality back up is needed. Let's see if McCoy can become a quarterback on the PP, I think the skill level is there. It s hard not to see the Petes in the top 4 next year but we need some additions to goalie and a top PP guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad