Peterborough Petes 2021-22 Season Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Nice to see the Petes continue to roll, winning their 5th straight.
Recent talk has been the need for the Petes to address their goaltending heading into next year's "go for it" season but let's not be hasty.

Simpson starting all 3 games of a 3 in 3 is a clear indication that he is the guy going forward this season and may be the clear #1 next season. He seems to be gaining confidence with every game he plays.

Here are Simpson's numbers since the start of January:

A record of 8-5-1
GAA : 2.86
Sv% : 0.908

Simpson's best numbers in that stretch have been in his most recent games.
Maybe the Petes will just need a veteran keeper to play about 25 games next year (but could handle more if need be).
A #1b guy rather than a clear top end #1a guy.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Loved the Petes work ethic - never quit against Oshawa.
Tremendous effort
I know it was total team effort -everyone contributing -but a Special shout out to #24 who kept Tulio to one point!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Fantastic win against the Generals, a team that has had our number for years.
Does anyone know what happened to McCoy? "Upper-body injury" apparently.

MCur19

Sep 27, 2017
Fantastic win against the Generals, a team that has had our number for years.
Does anyone know what happened to McCoy? "Upper-body injury" apparently.
If he is dealing with something ... better to sit him out with Smith returning from suspension then play and risk further injury

Reactions: ptbopete

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Classic Petes' loss in Oshawa Petes-killer Tullio scores with seconds to tie it and the Petes lose in OT. How many times has Oshawa beaten the Petes by scoring with seconds left either to tie it or win it. How many game winning or clutch goals vs the Petes has Tullio got? It's unreal. The Oshawa curse continues for the Petes even though it looked like the Petes were going to win this one. Austin played well but he is not our top goalie at this point and I'm assuming that Simpson is hurt.

The Petes need to learn how to shoot without always going high with their shots. We had lots of shots this game but too many high on the goalie or over the net. This was a wasted opportunity for the Petes to make ground on Oshawa and Ottawa. Oshawa didn't have any life in them for most of the game but the Petes started looking tired - we play our top guys too much and with Stillman out (do we know for how long yet?) the Petes didn't quite have the juice, Damn I hate the Generals.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
New Jersey Devils Prospect Suspended Indefinitely For Hit From Behind

I agree with the writer, this was not a malicious hit. I think Hache lost his balance and got hurt but not necessarily due to a dirty hit. It was a leg injury and not an injury to his upper body like with most checking from behind penalties. Whether his Dad his head of of officiating made any difference to this one....well I hope not. Still classified as "indefinite" but pending what?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

I agree with the writer, this was not a malicious hit. I think Hache lost his balance and got hurt but not necessarily due to a dirty hit. It was a leg injury and not an injury to his upper body like with most checking from behind penalties. Whether his Dad his head of of officiating made any difference to this one....well I hope not. Still classified as "indefinite" but pending what?
OHL head office isn't open on the weekends, which is crazy for a league that mostly is played on the weekends, but the way it's always been. It'll be announced tomorrow or Tuesday. Same with Brandt Clarke

Reactions: ptbopete

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

I didn't think it warranted a major penalty let alone a multiple game suspension. This league is so soft.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Classic Petes' loss in Oshawa Petes-killer Tullio scores with seconds to tie it and the Petes lose in OT. How many times has Oshawa beaten the Petes by scoring with seconds left either to tie it or win it. How many game winning or clutch goals vs the Petes has Tullio got? It's unreal. The Oshawa curse continues for the Petes even though it looked like the Petes were going to win this one. Austin played well but he is not our top goalie at this point and I'm assuming that Simpson is hurt.

The Petes need to learn how to shoot without always going high with their shots. We had lots of shots this game but too many high on the goalie or over the net. This was a wasted opportunity for the Petes to make ground on Oshawa and Ottawa. Oshawa didn't have any life in them for most of the game but the Petes started looking tired - we play our top guys too much and with Stillman out (do we know for how long yet?) the Petes didn't quite have the juice, Damn I hate the Generals.
What curse ? There teenage hockey players they make mistakes take dumb penalties . The coach has not adressed several players on this team for lack of discipline?Guryev and Mc Coy take too many undiscipline penaltties. Were winning 3 to 1 and have almost 2 man advantage for 2 full minutes and Avon takes a stupid penalty? He doesnt miss a shift ???? And what is Tye Austin vs Petes record ? lmao yet Coach keeps going to him? He played well in Ottawa ok but he cant beat the Generals! The Gens 2nd goal was soft can't control his rebounds? Flops around net like a fish out of water loses his net all the time? The winning goal in OT should have been saved. He whiffed on it!

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
What is Austins record vs Generals Coach Rob Wilson in his career in OHL ? No discipline again hurts the team? Almost 2 man advantage for close to 2 minutes and J.R. Avon takes a stupid selfish penalty. He didnt miss a shift??? Changed the game right there. Do you ever isolate a player on a shift and watch ? You will see things you will not like like floating around lack of effort . Never taking the body , figure skating around the ice? getting above the puck in own zone not competing , lazy efforts. Each and every game you assess your players and when a player is not performing to your standard you take his ice time away.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
Avons penalty was crap call. Anyone who has plays the game knows that. It was an even up call by refs,. Even oshawa tv guys said so. Simpson wasnt even in lineup so something must be up...you aint playing third stringer goalie so Austin was only choice.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
5 games for Stillman. Seems too steep for not that dangerous of a hit. Just unlucky he got hurt on it
The multiple suspensions this year is the Petes paying the price for being a physical team, I assume as directed by Coach Wilson. They tend to draft physical players which is a good thing but anytime a player goes to make a hit on an opponent (as opposed to holding back a bit, or going for the puck instead or simply skating away to do something else) they risk taking a penalty at the very least incidentally. Law of averages says the Petes will take more penalties as a physical team though it looks like they're in the middle of the pack PIM -wise in the East.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
5 games for Stillman. Seems too steep for not that dangerous of a hit. Just unlucky he got hurt on it

Seems like a heavy suspension to me. It was a nudge from behind and certainly not vicious. But what do you do? I don't believe that he has a reputation.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
The multiple suspensions this year is the Petes paying the price for being a physical team, I assume as directed by Coach Wilson. They tend to draft physical players which is a good thing but anytime a player goes to make a hit on an opponent (as opposed to holding back a bit, or going for the puck instead or simply skating away to do something else) they risk taking a penalty at the very least incidentally. Law of averages says the Petes will take more penalties as a physical team though it looks like they're in the middle of the pack PIM -wise in the East.
Another suspension coming as Smith did the same trhing he got suspended for last time that got him 5 games. So now itll prolly be 8-10

And Simpson in net so I guess hes fine and jsut got rested in Oshawa Sunday?

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Another suspension coming as Smith did the same trhing he got suspended for last time that got him 5 games. So now itll prolly be 8-10

And Simpson in net so I guess hes fine and jsut got rested in Oshawa Sunday?
I count this as the the fourth game that early in a game, the Petes lost a player to a head-check major penalty and game misconduct.. 2nd suspension (I assume) for Konnor Smith who delivered his 2nd huge hit of the game and then a fight. The kid just turned 17 and he's killing it. The head-hit didn't result in an injury but it was clearly a head-shot. We have to dial it back on the open ice crunches. Anyway, we beat f****ing Hamilton so that's something. Amazing game by the Petes, especially Simpson and the five defensemen we were left with. By the way Sam Mayer should be the Petes season MVP in my opinion.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
I think with Stillman, with Kingston D still out probably 5 games is when he would return. As for Conner, hard to say as the guy got right back up and instigated the fight, so not hurt.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Is it true that the kid Stillman hit -is the son of OHL head of officiating?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Is it true that the kid Stillman hit -is the son of OHL head of officiating?
Yep. Conrad Haché is the director of OHL officiating. The kid he hit was.... Braden Haché. He doesn't decide on the suspensions tho, believe that's Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad