Peterborough Petes 2021-22 Season Thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Playoff experience is mostly about understanding how the game changes in the playoffs. How the checking gets tighter, the pace increases, every mistake is amplified. How the fans amp up their support. How the playoffs just taste and smell different.

You can get pasted 4 straight and still get a good feel for what playoff hockey is all about.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Lets see if OHL suspends Hamiltons Sherk for facewash from ice on Petes back up goalie ? of course its missed on purpose by OHL officials again! Garbage Hamilton and Marley lol The only players on Hamilton who are not dirty Diaco, Morrison, the rest are sissy's get up? Put your big boy pants on. Hockeys a tough game , hitting and contact is part of the game, keep your head up . Sickening!

• Haha
Reactions: Canadian Game

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Sounds like the Jack Van Volsen rumours might be true… interesting selection. I like the fit.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes goal next year is to be Hamilton.
You can bet that this experience is giving the players a close up view of what that feels like. They will use video from this series prior to next year's playoffs. I'm not sure how much this experience moves the needle for next season but IMO you learn more from losing than not playing. Don't lose sight of the fact that the Petes have been playing playoff style hockey for the last couple of months, battling for a playoff spot - many players grew from that experience.
Yes the Petes missed out on a top 4 pick but they will still get a great player at #6 and there is a chance that player will be dealt at the deadline next season.

I'm excited to see the 2nd year in the OHL for these guys........
D - Mayer, McCoy, Smith, and Guo
F - Dubois, Alfano, Melee, DeZoete, Gagner, Reyers, Lardis, Page, Lewis

With this returning depth, I'm not too concerned about missing out on some early round picks this weekend after trading away the two 2nds.
Here's hoping Oke and the scouting staff can pick up some gems like these guys....

Smith - Rd 9 (#175)
Simpson - Rd 10 (#193)
Dubois - Rd 14 (#273)

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Hamilton has 8 guys that won the championship in 2018 on the team. The Petes just traded two 2nds for two future 2nds and two 3rds to get more draft capital. Only those that never played the game at this level would make a comment about not needing playoff experience. Tell me a team that won the OHL championship the following year they didnt make the playoffs? I looked, there isnt one.
Owen Sound missed the playoffs in 2008, got swept in the first round in 2009, missed the playoffs in 2010 and WON the OHL championship in 2011. They did something you claim is impossible. Took me less than 5 minutes to look that up.

Hamilton has ZERO players from the championship run on their team. The most experienced playoff guy on their team is Staios who had 7 games over two different playoffs. Three others have 4 games and one has 5. Again it took less than 5 minutes to look up.

Who the hell are you to tell me that I have no experience playing sports at any level and not understanding the need for playoff experience? You have no clue and no right to make that assumption just because I disagree with your pervious statement.

You can get off your high horse and go take a look for yourself but maybe open your eyes this time.

Reactions: Millpond

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
A few thoughts on the game/series and some of the recent posts in this thread:

Even though it's been kind of ugly, I'm still glad we got to see playoff hockey. It's been too long and a physical, intense series like this is a good reminder of how fun the playoffs can be. In my mind it's better than playing out the string and missing the playoffs. I also think that, even if it's just 4 games, it will be beneficial to the players.

I know if they missed they could get a higher pick, but no draft pick is a guarantee and the Petes have a history (though it seems to be getting better) of having top picks not want to come here or asking out after a season or two. It sounds like there are some good players available around the 6th pick, so I expect the Petes will end up with a good player.

Seeing the Bulldogs celebrations and such is a bit irritating, but I think we need to remember these are teenagers. It's an intense series and the type that brings teams together. With all the hitting and stuff it's got the testosterone flowing. Teenagers will be teenagers. Just the way it is and I'm not going to get upset about players celebrating a goal against a team they clearly dislike.

I'm afraid tonight could be a bit ugly, score wise. Simpson must be getting tired and the way the Bulldogs started to roll (with the Petes helping them by taking so many penalties) later on last night, I can see them putting up a few really early. I sure hope not, though.

I'm 99.99999% sure tonight will be the last home game (win or lose) but I think it's been a fun team to watch. I like the physical style and once they can learn to tone it down a bit and be more in control, it will be a team others hate to play against. Heck, you can already see how much other teams hate playing against the Petes (Guryev, especially) already. So even if it's 4 and out, it whets the appetite for next season and it's a team that I think we're right to be excited about for next year. Maybe they won't be Hamilton level good, but they should certainly be (at the very least) contending for a top 4 spot in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Wanting the Petes to make the playoffs vs getting a higher pick is a moot debate. The players want to win as do the fans and you can't ask the players to give up at the end of the regular season so they can get a higher draft pick.

Reactions: Rounder8

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The Petes goal next year is to be Hamilton.
You can bet that this experience is giving the players a close up view of what that feels like. They will use video from this series prior to next year's playoffs. I'm not sure how much this experience moves the needle for next season but IMO you learn more from losing than not playing. Don't lose sight of the fact that the Petes have been playing playoff style hockey for the last couple of months, battling for a playoff spot - many players grew from that experience.
Yes the Petes missed out on a top 4 pick but they will still get a great player at #6 and there is a chance that player will be dealt at the deadline next season.

I'm excited to see the 2nd year in the OHL for these guys........
D - Mayer, McCoy, Smith, and Guo
F - Dubois, Alfano, Melee, DeZoete, Gagner, Reyers, Lardis, Page, Lewis

With this returning depth, I'm not too concerned about missing out on some early round picks this weekend after trading away the two 2nds.
Here's hoping Oke and the scouting staff can pick up some gems like these guys....

Smith - Rd 9 (#175)
Simpson - Rd 10 (#193)
Dubois - Rd 14 (#273)
I’m not so sure there’s going to be room for guys like Reyers + Gagner… Page has clearly passed them in the depth chart. Add in guys like McCue, Van Volsen(potentially), euro, 2 OA’s …. Hard to see room

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I’m not so sure there’s going to be room for guys like Reyers + Gagner… Page has clearly passed them in the depth chart. Add in guys like McCue, Van Volsen(potentially), euro, 2 OA’s …. Hard to see room
I agree……some of these guys will have to be dealt if they want more consistent ice time in the league.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Down 4-0 after 1st period and short 2 men going into the 3rd.
I think I'll start looking ahead :thumbu:

Petes have the #6 pick tomorrow then don't pick until the 4th round (#69)

Oke trades a 2025 5th and an extra 15th they had for this draft for a 6th round pick this weekend to help fill an empty draft round.

Here is what things look like:

1651191454276.png

Exciting time to be a Petes fan despite the tough playoff series vs the Bulldogs.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Not so sure on Van Volsen anymore… conflicting rumours! Tomorrow should be fun. Hope we get a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad