Peterborough Petes 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
A different GM will target different players in trade. A different GM will draft different players. A different GM will go after different players who are free agents. A different GM will build a team entirely different.

So yes, I do think the GM makes a difference.

Maybe Mike Oke doesn't make a good first impression on families.

There's literally dozens of ways a different GM, who thinks different, views players differently will have an impact.

How about not punting a 1st and 3rd round pick the year you miss the playoffs. We should be looking forward to that 3rd round pick being apart of our roster next year, instead we don't have any prospects from last years draft that look like they will make it. If Jack Bar doesn't show up, that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen someone do.

In 3 off seasons, Dave Reid acquired Andrew Yogan, Brett Findlay, Francis Menard, Kalle Ekelund and Mike Morrison. In 6 off season, Mike Oke has acquired NO ONE. I realize Dave Reid was awful, so were his teams, but how can one GM acquire 5 players who were all upgrades to his roster in 3 years, yet another guy can't acquire anyone in 6 years? You're going to tell me that doesn't make a difference? It's the arena's fault?

Owen Sound has put up 9 straight seasons of .500+ hockey in a tougher conference. I know the situations aren't the same. But it's a small community with an older building that isn't a top destination.

Lots of good hockey players are still willing to play in Peterborough despite an old arena.
No prospects last years draft? How about Butler and Spearing....IF bar and cuylle came that’d be 4 not bad I’d say

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
No prospects last years draft? How about Butler and Spearing....IF bar and cuylle came that’d be 4 not bad I’d say

And Austin (so far). The compensation for Cuylle makes it a good draft, imo. I think some over state the need for more players born 2001-02 considering the team is all-in with 2000 born. Where exactly would mid-round picked 16-17 yr olds play?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bra Wavers

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I'm getting so sick of this not reporting crap. The CHL needs to do something about it. Obviously I'm going to bitch about it more because it happens to my hometown team a lot, but overall it's not good for the game in (what's supposed to be) the best junior hockey league in the world.
It annoys the hell out of me that the players aren't just going to the teams that pick them. It hits me a little harder too because I got passed over in my draft year, and while I was nowhere near good enough to get picked, it still hurt to not get an opportunity. And now these ungrateful kids are dictating who gives them the opportunity and who doesn't.
The teams and the front offices are supposed to hold all of the power, not the 16 year old kid and their puppet master agents. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, why do we still bother to fund this stuff by buying tickets to watch this disappointment of a league that was at one point held so much higher above all others

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I think this is a big problem too-

Maybe the OHL could institute a system where eligible players have to sign some sort of “agreement to report”
They would have to agree to report to the team drafting them or they don’t go into the draft.
All signees go into the draft anyone refusing to sign cannnot be drafted or brought into the OHL.

There has to be something done to level the playing field.

Is this non-reporting problem widespread or is it just us that nobody wants to play for?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think this is a big problem too-

Maybe the OHL could institute a system where eligible players have to sign some sort of “agreement to report”
They would have to agree to report to the team drafting them or they don’t go into the draft.
All signees go into the draft anyone refusing to sign cannnot be drafted or brought into the OHL.

There has to be something done to level the playing field.

Is this non-reporting problem widespread or is it just us that nobody wants to play for?

Seems like we hear about it with the Petes much more than anybody else.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
These are 15-16 yr old kids. You should not be able to force anything on them; or, their parents. Right or wrong, they just want what they think is best for their kids.
Most of us want to watch the best. If that is on London‘s roster, bummer; but better than NCAA. At least, London, Windsor ... will have to give back something of value because they can’t roster every top prospect.
If Oke is sure MacTavish wants to play in the OHL and is convinced he represents best value, draft him; then convince him to sign, or trade him in Jan ‘20 or Sept ‘20 or anytime after. I figure two full years in jr A is not at all what the MacTavish’s want

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
Allegedly, he has told the Petes he has no interest in reporting.

Does anyone have accurate information on this or is it rumour? We all know his Dad played for the Petes and is a friend of Verner. I find it difficult to believe that he would not report to the Petes. Tell me if I am wrong and why.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Does anyone have accurate information on this or is it rumour? We all know his Dad played for the Petes and is a friend of Verner. I find it difficult to believe that he would not report to the Petes. Tell me if I am wrong and why.

It’s just a rumour, started by OHLinsiders.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Strictly rumours. No clue about the level of accuracy. With the way McTavish has been playing, I think it's a moot point anyways, and he'll be gone before the 5th pick.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Strictly rumours. No clue about the level of accuracy. With the way McTavish has been playing, I think it's a moot point anyways, and he'll be gone before the 5th pick.

hell be there when the petes draft. soundslike its wright, otthmann, lockhart and clarke top 4. there also seems to be some truth to the mctavish rumours.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
they are probably gong to trade whoever is the 5th in summer for impact player like Niagara did this year if they hav that many coming back so doesnt matter if they dont want to come, be a moot point by sept

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Butler, Spearing and Austin aren't prospects.
Ok well there aren’t any room for “prospects” anyways which says a lot about good drafting anyways plus at least 3 this year 2 1sts and a 2nd how is that a bad thing ??

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
they are probably gong to trade whoever is the 5th in summer for impact player like Niagara did this year if they hav that many coming back so doesnt matter if they dont want to come, be a moot point by sept
Yup I’d take him no matter what and get a mitfull for him ..he can play midget again. Kinda seems like as he’s got more attention his camp seems to have changed their mind.

Reactions: dirty12

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Every ranking has McTavish ahead of Lockhart, yet every mock draft has Lockhart going before McTavish.

Is there a reason for that? Is McTavish telling other teams he won't report?

Every team except London.........lmao

Reactions: Diaero

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
They should be looking at Pinelli, character guy with decent size, speed and scoring ability.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
The Scout.ca mock has McTavish going 3rd and the Petes taking Lockhart. Not a bad scenario.

Not gonna pretend like I know anything about these prospects outside their write up on thescout, etc, but if we lose Gallant, does Lockhart or Pinelli fit what we need better? Sounds like one is a playmaking C while the other is a 200 foot complete player.

With SDA fading into the shadows, I think whoever we draft 5 plays with Robertson so in my opinion take the playmaker.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Really hoping someone saves Mike Oke from himself and takes McTavish 3rd or 4th. If we take him 5th and then get the same "we hope we can convince him to come" speech, I really might think about being done with this team. You have the history of being the best NHL talent developers in the entire OHL (most NHL draft picks) yet you can't get anyone to want to come here? If this McTavish stuff is true, Oke needs to be gone ASAP. This is becoming a joke with all these "but he won't go to PBO" the week before the draft every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad