Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
SDA is on the camp list but has not arrived for fitness testing and medicals......have to wait and see if he is on the ice tomorrow

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Best PP QB on the league for two OA you have to move anyways?.... hmm :thumbd:

Better to phrase it this way: 2 Solid performing O/A's who are good locker room guys for a player with known attitude issues, disliked by teammates, and who was ran out of 2 towns. hmm :thumbd:. Wouldnt touch that deal with a 10 foot pole if I was Drinkell. Not worth the headache. Best case for Petes is a middling team takes him off your hands for cheap, but your conditional picks come into play as stated above. Best bet is to wash your hands of him if you're Oke and let him play in the ECHL or AHL.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Better to phrase it this way: 2 Solid performing O/A's who are good locker room guys for a player with known attitude issues, disliked by teammates, and who was ran out of 2 towns. hmm :thumbd:. Wouldnt touch that deal with a 10 foot pole if I was Drinkell. Not worth the headache. Best case for Petes is a middling team takes him off your hands for cheap, but your conditional picks come into play as stated above. Best bet is to wash your hands of him if you're Oke and let him play in the ECHL or AHL.

Is he eligible to play in either of those 2 leagues? Wonder if there is no place for him does he head over the pond?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Is he eligible to play in either of those 2 leagues? Wonder if there is no place for him does he head over the pond?

He would have to be cut from the Petes as he is not an OA. I think the CHL-NHL agreement only pertains to players on an active OHL contract. Worst case for Peterborough is someone else in the OHL claims him and your out picks, but you wouldnt have to pay the conditional picks you owe Guelph in that scenario either (I assume, we have no idea what the conditions are).

I should clarify too, I think the Petes could definitely find a trading partner for Ryan in the O. But 2 things have to happen, he has to approve of the location (assuming he has a no trade) and they have to get at least the compensation back they would owe Guelph for him playing again this season.

I doubt many top contenders are willing to move that much for him with the potential fallout and unless he would be interested in playing in a town like Flint that has the ammo to move for him, would use his services, and could play him top 4 with no repercussions I'm not sure what the market is for him. Hence why I think just cutting him loose might be the best option before you run into more of a sunk cost fallacy.

Last edited:

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
This thread has been an ugly read.

No one has any concrete information about Merkley but we're having randoms from other teams come in with trade offers and how his value is negative and how he's going to play overseas now because no one wants him.

Then we have our old one-liner posters going back at Oke.

Someone message me when there's something relevant posted.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
From Oke:

Roster Updates for 2019 Petes Training Camp – Peterborough Petes
  • Petes prospects Matthew Perciballi (PBO’s 5th round, 83rd overall, 2018) and Yuri Ushakov (PBO’s 11thround, 213th overall, 2019) are unable to participate due to injury
  • Free agent invites Thomas Johnston and Dakota Seaman are unable to participate due to injury
Additionally, as was the case prior to the 2018-19 OHL season, Petes defenceman Ryan Merkley has reported to the San Jose Sharks ahead of their training camp activities, making him unavailable for the Petes Training Camp.

Reactions: Zebra

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Oshawa will be team to beat in East again lol

Ok, but more than one team can contend. Last year lots of fans said we'd be contending, but I haven't seen Oke improve the team with trades.

Robertson Gallant Butler
Kirk McTavish Hinz
Little SDA? Denault
Hutton Grondin Avon

Chisholm Merkley?
Jones Maier
Spearing McNamara
Guryev

The D is very suspect and gets much worse without Merkley. The forward depth is bad: I don't see a reason to have all of Little, Grondin and Denault. SDA and Hinz are liabilities and shouldn't be playing center. Gilmour is small and hasn't done much in the OHL to get excited about. Adding another small, soft player would be a lateral move in my opinion.

Reactions: Burtsy

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Merkley in San Jose early which is why he’s not on the roster. I’m sure if this were anyone else it wouldn’t be that big a deal but considering who were talking about that’s gotta be a red flag too. not many get to skip out on their OHL camps and this is the second year in a row he’s done this. Zach Gallant, noted Sharks prospect, is here this week and I imagine all their other draftees are at junior camps all week too. the camp hasn’t even started yet nor will it start for another couple weeks

I get it if you’re a 1st overall pick who has almost no chance of not being in the NHL this year, but this is a guy with major personality issues and a beyond subpar defensive game.

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
I'd be pretty pissed off if a player missed my camp for preparations for a camp at a higher level that's still a couple weeks out.

Think of the message that sends to the rest of the team. I'm thinking this little charade was the final straw. When he told Oke that he was not going to be at camp, Oke probably started shopping him that very day - Much like Guelph last year. It's a slap in the face to be that tunnel visioned on the NHL and totally ignoring the process.

Diaero

Nov 29, 2016
I'd be pretty pissed off if a player missed my camp for preparations for a camp at a higher level that's still a couple weeks out.

Think of the message that sends to the rest of the team. I'm thinking this little charade was the final straw. When he told Oke that he was not going to be at camp, Oke probably started shopping him that very day - Much like Guelph last year. It's a slap in the face to be that tunnel visioned on the NHL and totally ignoring the process.

Aren't you the insider? Sounds like you're speculating on how the Petes reacted to a player pursuing his professional career, and then making it a fact that the Petes are done with Merk.

I dont know what's going on behind the scenes but the whole attitude issue card is such a cop out if hes in San Jose trying to become a millionaire, living his dream of being an NHLer instead of at the Petes training camp, completing for a role we already know he has as the #1 dman.

This is some weak speculation being peddled as fact because this kid doesn't behave the way everyone wants him to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad