Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Some on here have been critical of Fraser's play? Sure he took penalties some times some bad ones they all do. I liked what he brought to the ice night in and night out! He added an element of toughness to a soft team, he played hard blocked shots, finished his checks, played physical and was a great open ice hitter who every once in a while would knock your block off. He stepped up when called upon , took on all on corners, who is going to do that now? Who? When some opposition player takes liberties with a star player, who will answer the call? When Fraser was suspended we were in the fight of our lives to make the playoffs, was this the right time to sit him out? When you could have limited his on ice time minutes to get your message across? All I hear is how the Petes will be a contender in the Eastern division? Really the team to beat is the Generals, in the past 9 years our record versus the Gennies is a dismal 15 wins, 64 losses, a 78.5% winning advantage for the team from Oshawa, wow that's being dominated, by our rivals! So rumours on here state SDA wants out has requested a trade? The Petes are trying to trade Merkley, after paying a hefty price to get him??? We have not had a top 10 scorer in the past 14 years, so how is it we are favoured in the East?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Some on here have been critical of Fraser's play? Sure he took penalties some times some bad ones they all do. I liked what he brought to the ice night in and night out! He added an element of toughness to a soft team, he played hard blocked shots, finished his checks, played physical and was a great open ice hitter who every once in a while would knock your block off. He stepped up when called upon , took on all on corners, who is going to do that now? Who? When some opposition player takes liberties with a star player, who will answer the call? When Fraser was suspended we were in the fight of our lives to make the playoffs, was this the right time to sit him out? When you could have limited his on ice time minutes to get your message across? All I hear is how the Petes will be a contender in the Eastern division? Really the team to beat is the Generals, in the past 9 years our record versus the Gennies is a dismal 15 wins, 64 losses, a 78.5% winning advantage for the team from Oshawa, wow that's being dominated, by our rivals! So rumours on here state SDA wants out has requested a trade? The Petes are trying to trade Merkley, after paying a hefty price to get him??? We have not had a top 10 scorer in the past 14 years, so how is it we are favoured in the East?

He's a headache... There was a reason I had him as a 3rd or 4th round NHL prospect at best, and it wasn't just because his defensive game was an undraftable trainwreck. Having top 5 offensive skills as a defenseman was the only reason he was on my board in the first place.

He's pretty much toxic waste. Peterborough may seriously consider just cutting him from the roster, because at least that should save them from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round compensation they would otherwise have to pay. At this point, if they even broke even on that in a trade, I would be shocked. I originally had SSM paying the compensation with a minor sweetner to try and get a cheap top flight acquisition, but if the relationship is bad that he's not even on the training camp roster, then he may be far too carcinogenic to the locker room for any price.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yeah, they are just kids compared to most of us, but this kid is throwing it out the window. He wore out his welcome now in two different towns despite his obvious talent. At some point his attitude is going to squarely kick him in the butt, the sooner he matures the better off he will be, teenager or not.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
He's a headache... There was a reason I had him as a 3rd or 4th round NHL prospect at best, and it wasn't just because his defensive game was an undraftable trainwreck. Having top 5 offensive skills as a defenseman was the only reason he was on my board in the first place.

He's pretty much toxic waste. Peterborough may seriously consider just cutting him from the roster, because at least that should save them from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round compensation they would otherwise have to pay. At this point, if they even broke even on that in a trade, I would be shocked. I originally had SSM paying the compensation with a minor sweetner to try and get a cheap top flight acquisition, but if the relationship is bad that he's not even on the training camp roster, then he may be far too carcinogenic to the locker room for any price.

They'll trade him. In a league where there's quite a few teams who struggle to make a profit, some GM will talk themselves into the upside of bringing in a 1st rd NHL pick who will likely lead their team in scoring.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
^ imagine talking about a teenager that way

When the guy is signed to a pro contract worth a couple of million dollars, and wants to be a professional athlete in an uber-competitive sport, you need to mature faster than a normal teenager. If anything, he's maturing slower. You do not see many, if any, guys as talented as him left off of training camp rosters due to attitude issues... Especially not in the OHL.

That's not going to help his chances of becoming an NHL player, and it's not going to help Peterborough's chances of finding a taker for him.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
At this point it’s clear he won’t be returning to the Petes, seems like he would be better off moving to a different team with maybe more experience dealing with tougher cases. The sharks aren’t going to let him waste time not developing

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
I don't remember a single case, certainly in the 15 years or so of my memory where there's been a player with this bad of a reputation, let alone a first round NHL pick. Only one I could think of who came close to having this type of reputation and was that highly skilled was like Rob Schremp or Josh Ho-Sang.

Anybody else think of anyone?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I don't remember a single case, certainly in the 15 years or so of my memory where there's been a player with this bad of a reputation, let alone a first round NHL pick. Only one I could think of who came close to having this type of reputation and was that highly skilled was like Rob Schremp or Josh Ho-Sang.

Anybody else think of anyone?

Anthony DeAngelo had some baggage. Looks like hes finally figured things out in New York though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
They'll trade him. In a league where there's quite a few teams who struggle to make a profit, some GM will talk themselves into the upside of bringing in a 1st rd NHL pick who will likely lead their team in scoring.

I'm sure some teams with really strong locker rooms or demanding coaches who are willing to take a chance on him. The only question is whether they'll offer enough to exceed the compensation Peterborough will have to pay for him playing.

I am not sure how the compensation works exactly (they didn't release the full details), but I am almost certain it has to do with playing in the OHL this year (at least that is how it was with Robert Thomas when he was traded from London). If Peterborough doesn't get an offer which exceeds the 2nd + 3rd + 4th compensation, they may just decide to tell Merkley to stay home without trading him. That in itself would be like trading him for a 2nd + 3rd + 4th, and they don't have to play against him at any point either. For that matter, if the Petes are only getting offers from a conference rival like Oshawa (hypothetically) and they only get like a 3rd on top of the compensation they'd have to give up to Guelph (so Oshawa gave them a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th), the Petes still may decide just to sit him because they'd rather him not play on a rival than get an extra 3rd round pick.

It's a really tricky situation by not listing him on the training camp roster. Pretty much takes away any leverage they had. They must have tried moving him to every team and either have a deal in place already that has yet to be made official, or they've already decided that he's just not going to play in the OHL next year (and therefore has to go to another league, likely the WHL or QMJHL) because they did not receive enough in return.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Anthony DeAngelo had some baggage. Looks like hes finally figured things out in New York though.

From where he was (busting prospect who was on the fringes of the NHL), sure. Still far from an 1st round talent, and needs a lot more work on his defensive game. Needs to show he can put up big numbers and do so without getting sheltered at all.

I don't think any of those guys (Ho-Sang, DeAngelo or Schremp) ever got kicked out of an OHL training camp before though. I didn't really follow the OHL closely when they were playing.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Petes and Saginaw will do a deal.

Merkely

for

Webb / Gilmour / pick

Wait for it!!

That would be the best I could imagine Peterborough getting. Two OA's who can play big roles right away and Merkley is out of the conference. Saginaw takes the risk but him and Wilde would form quite the top 4 RD tandem for a playoff run.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
So excited about players signed from this draft.

McTavish
Avon
Guryev
Kavanagh
Patey
Simpson

I believe that Tucker Robertson will be signed before the season starts as well. Quite a strong group and seven signed would be very impressive

I think it’s the right move to have
Kavanagh, Patey, Simpson and probably Robertson playing Major Midget in Peterborough and practicing with the Petes. They will be available for call ups if needed, be learning the Petes’ systems in practice and start building a relationship with players and coaches on the big club.

Looking forward to camp starting and seeing what this team looks like as the season starts and then again in January
who is the simpson kid hes not on training camp roster?

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Having your top prospects play major midget seems like a pretty bold move, no other team is sticking their top picks at the lowest level.

We'll see how it works out, but Patey representing Ontario last year as one of the best forwards in his age group, to playing Major Midget the following year is an interesting move.
dumb move

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Why can't they find a spot for Patey or these kids in tier 2?

Aren't the Petes supposed to contend this season?

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
So excited about players signed from this draft.

McTavish
Avon
Guryev
Kavanagh
Patey
Simpson

I believe that Tucker Robertson will be signed before the season starts as well. Quite a strong group and seven signed would be very impressive

I think it’s the right move to have
Kavanagh, Patey, Simpson and probably Robertson playing Major Midget in Peterborough and practicing with the Petes. They will be available for call ups if needed, be learning the Petes’ systems in practice and start building a relationship with players and coaches on the big club.

Looking forward to camp starting and seeing what this team looks like as the season starts and then again in January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad