Peterborough Petes 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Solid job by Jones in the USports game today. The two goals he gave up were a beauty shot through traffic on the PP, and a 2 on 1 off a bad turnover. He made a few real nice stops.

I didn't think he looked very comfortable. On several of his 10 saves he made the save but didn't seem to know that he did and the puck was beside him but he was looking forward. If you told me before the year he wouldn't make team Canada (and they'd be taking 3 goalies) I would've said no way. But seems like that could be the case now based on what many of the guys covering the camp are saying

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I didn't think he looked very comfortable. On several of his 10 saves he made the save but didn't seem to know that he did and the puck was beside him but he was looking forward. If you told me before the year he wouldn't make team Canada (and they'd be taking 3 goalies) I would've said no way. But seems like that could be the case now based on what many of the guys covering the camp are saying
He was by no means the Jones we saw against London a week ago, but I think he looked more than alright. I noticed he was looking around a lot, but I am attributing most of that to the fact that a CDN dman always seemed to be in his eyesight

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Have no idea but aren’t these two away for the WJC, pretty sure Kaliyev was a US invite and Jenik from the Czech? Maybe they open camp later then Team Canada?

US doesn't start camp for WJC until next week.......which is why the Petes will still have Robertson this weekend :D
Not sure about the Jenik and the Czech team.....I guess we'll know when they drop the puck tonight

Reactions: Buttsy

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
That's too bad. At least we won't have to play Austin majority of games over the next few weeks then

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Even at the start of camp, I thought Jones had a pretty good shot but unfortunately, could kind of see the writing on the wall here as camp played out. Rodrigue is the long time #1 for Canada at this age group in international competition. Daws and Hofer have incredible numbers this season and are the "hot hand" you could look to ride in a short tournament like this. Jones is so strong and steady and with a strong camp, could have easily taken a spot but it sounds like the goalies were all playing well and no one was necessarily stealing or losing a spot in camp - unless you think Daws stole one.

Jones gave up the most goals in exhibition games, even if on the two today, one was an absolute laser and the other he was hung out to dry by his defence. I'm disappointed for him, really thought he deserved to be there this year but so did the three that they kept.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Austin has settled down nicely
Austin played extremely well after the 3! early goals. Credit to the team for not folding up the tents after those early goals like they did Friday night in Kingston as well. Not much more you can say about McTavish, what a rookie season he's having. Avon continues to get chances as well but just not quite converting. Robertson's short handed goal was a thing of beauty. As was his goal on the delayed penalty.

There was representation tonight from Kingston (okay it was Jeff Twohey) and Oshawa (a pickup truck wrapped in their logos drove past me on the way in) - I'm sure many more as trade deadline approaches.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Glad to see McTavish heard me haha! Fun game to watch, really happy for Austin to get that one, even got an assist too. I like that the young guy on the back end got to play a few extra shifts with the big lead. Let's do it again tomorrow!

Hope nothing serious comes from the Hinz and Gallant misconducts. That Hinz one was a stupid decision on his part

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Wasn't at the game but I see both Hinz and Gallant got major penalties. Either of them likely to result in suspensions? Losing Gallant for any period of time will hurt..

Reactions: Bra Wavers

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Wasn't at the game but I see both Hinz and Gallant got major penalties. Either of them likely to result in suspensions? Losing Gallant for any period of time will hurt..
Honestly, both could. Not sure what camera angles they have on Gallant's, it was way behind the play but they did review it and give him 5. Hinz's was really stupid too, after the whistle, just dropped a guy, it was also reviewed in the arena and upheld as 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad