Peterborough Petes 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well done Brock, good read. I have to admit he has had some shaky moments this season but his potential is very, very high.

The last couple of times I've seen Peterborough, he's definitely had some trouble getting the puck out of his own zone. So I found it very interesting that he mentioned his first pass being the thing he needs to improve upon most. A lot of times guys will give me the cliched, "need to get faster, stronger, etc" response to that question. His response was refreshing. Seems to have a great handle on his strengths and weaknesses.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Well done Brock, good read. I have to admit he has had some shaky moments this season but his potential is very, very high.

The Petes have the potential to have four NHL drafted defenseman on next seasons roster which could be a real strong point for them next year...

Jenkins-Spencer
Lizotte-Masin

Not a bad top 4...

It isn't? We had those same 4 this season.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Varga not coming back?

He'll be in the mix for sure. Depends on what happens with Matt Cairns( 3rd round pick in 2014 draft.) He would be a big signing and likely make Varga available for the opportunity to add a 3rd OA forward.

Jenkins-Spencer
Lizotte-Masin
Cairns-Timms
2nd '15

This would also give Oke the ability to draft a European forward.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
You know you have problems when you can't score 5 on 5 against the world team in the CHL.

Bring on the OHL Draft already, out with the old in with new.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Varga has been the Petes best defenceman. And you want to replace him with a rookie? That sounds like something the Petes would do. If Varga isn't back, it likely means sniper Matt McCartney is.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Varga has been the Petes best defenceman. And you want to replace him with a rookie? That sounds like something the Petes would do. If Varga isn't back, it likely means sniper Matt McCartney is.

We are in a clear rebuild (again) and that's how you develop players... You let them play. We don't want to miss out on Cairns when he could be twice as good as Varga just because we told him he had to be the 7th dman in his NHL draft year.

Last edited:

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
I doubt Oke and Hull will see it as a rebuilding year. By your theory shouldn't we get rid of Masin, Jenkins, Betzold, Garlent and Cornel as well?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I doubt Oke and Hull will see it as a rebuilding year. By your theory shouldn't we get rid of Masin, Jenkins, Betzold, Garlent and Cornel as well?

If we are below average again at the deadline.. Sure. Gives the 99/98 birth year kids some more time to figure out the league and then step into a bigger role.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Has Hull ever indicated he's that smart?

It doesn't make sense to move Varga before the season starts. It's a slap in the face to him, and sends a bad message to other players and fans. You have to reward people for good play. I don't want to ship Varga off for some measly draft pick.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Has Hull ever indicated he's that smart?

It doesn't make sense to move Varga before the season starts. It's a slap in the face to him, and sends a bad message to other players and fans. You have to reward people for good play. I don't want to ship Varga off for some measly draft pick.

I wouldn't either. Id look to swap him for an OA forward. It won't happen so it's not even worth debating, he will be back. But it will make signing Cairns that much harder which should be a top priority.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Garlent may be back for playoffs making good progress.

Cornel game time decision tonight he's been sick all week and hasn't practiced.

Petes had Eddie Shultz and Smith with the team practicing all week as well but they have gone home. Shultz has not signed yet so he wouldn't be able to play

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Garlent may be back for playoffs making good progress.

Cornel game time decision tonight he's been sick all week and hasn't practiced.

Petes had Eddie Shultz and Smith with the team practicing all week as well but they have gone home. Shultz has not signed yet so he wouldn't be able to play

Do you think Schulz is a guy who could take a Maguire like role next season while providing a little more offense? He had a good year in Strathroy.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Do you think Schulz is a guy who could take a Maguire like role next season while providing a little more offense? He had a good year in Strathroy.

are you talking about replacing Maguire? as in cutting him?

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
No. I said do you think he could fill in a role like Maguire plays currently.

oh sorry. Shultz is a two way player who should make this club next year pending a school package signing of course.

He's a little over 6 feet and is 180lbs. His numbers were decent as a 16 year old in Jr A but not lights out. I would say yes that he could be a similar type of player as Maguire.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Good news - Petes clinch a playoff spot.

Bad news - Likely have to face Oshawa in round one.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
"@RobSnoekLIVE: Regular season over. @PetesOHLhockey finish 8th in East w/ 58 points. Will draft in 5th,25th,28th & 32nd positions plus 2 picks in 4th rd."

Four picks in the top 35... Not bad at all. Oke needs to hit on these picks and add to the core of Ang, Timms, Timleck, Wells etc.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
He's going to need to do a lot more than draft if he wants to be good next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad